OldGT wants your input and opinions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Occasional_panner said:
Smoky bandit said:
I may of missed something but unfortunately you need a minimum of 40 acres to use a firearm.. :Y: And that's just for small calibres like air rifle /22/shotguns....when using biger centrefires 40 acres is not enough. Also depends on where the 40 acres is situated :Y: Good luck.
Absolute rubbish http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/gun-law/is-there-a-minimum-area-of-land-for-shooting-on
This property sounds too small for anything but a 410 shotgun, but for the record there is no minimum acreage, at least not in Vic.
BTW look at the distance a 22 can go, it's very surprising for such a small round, they need to be respected.

Anyway best for you to keep this a no shooting property OldGT.
Mate im a little offended by your remark ..Absolute rubbish. :mad: ..40 acres is minimum for the whole state. :Y: lol. :DThough if you were shooting on 5 acres in between large rural properties you might be ok if nobody rang the cops.Its also mentioned when doing your firearms licence.And I have had discussions with the qld police commisioner on this subject as I wanted to use a 22lr on 35 acres. :Y: Good luck discharging on any land smaller.Hope you dont loose ya licence.But I'm assuming you dont have one :Y:

It all comes down to common sense . Unfortunately not all that common anymore. Im only on 2 acres but can happily discharge rim fire or shotgun and centrfire(not often)due to having consent from the neighboring properties. All depends on how far out me foxy is.
Nice to be in a true rural community not yet infested with to many tree changers.

.22 is no where near accurate at 1000 metres.
Even in centrefire high power say 22/250 theres just not enough weight in projectile to keep it accurate at them distances unless you were an expert marksmen who can judge wind drift and know exactly the drop over such distance. Still then its not a given due to low projectile weight.

I DON'T SHARE.... Im a little Pig when it comes to POPCORN... :lol:

1529323837_preview.jpg

We better get back on Topic ... Don't want to be Moderated... :cool:

LW....

Bjay said:
It all comes down to common sense . Unfortunately not all that common anymore. Im only on 2 acres but can happily discharge rim fire or shotgun and centrfire(not often)due to having consent from the neighboring properties. All depends on how far out me foxy is.
Nice to be in a true rural community not yet infested with to many tree changers.

Mate on 2 acres this is all you should need ;) :D :D :D :D

1529360934_slingshot.jpg

Bjay said:
Even in centrefire high power say 22/250 theres just not enough weight in projectile to keep it accurate at them distances unless you were an expert marksmen who can judge wind drift and know exactly the drop over such distance. Still then its not a given due to low projectile weight.
I never said they were accurate at that distance.
I was using one at my local big bore rifle range on one of our open calibre days. I was hitting 5s to 8ts at 1000 yards. There was very little wind down range. But the hold over was very high. Anyway the point being that a one acre block is not big enough for shooting even 20 acres is too small unless there is a good backdrop. I personaly would not allow people wondering around at the same time others were hunting.

HoudiniHarry said:
This may be of interest.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8833/1529354206_bullet.jpg

Depends really on bullet quality and always subject to gravity.

Cheers HH

That is if you point the rifle dead level at the target, if you were to aim up say 45 deg the projectile will travel well over a mile.
They are very under rated.

Edit, I'll correct that,(before some nitpicker does) in that graph the scope is zero'd for 50yards, so not quite dead level.

OldGT said:
Bogger said:
Old GT the idea is great but could end in a lot of head aches and liability issues :( Plus some unhappy neighbours ;)
Honestly my initial thoughts too Bogger but I like to have a bit of a dream sometimes. Liability is only an issue if you're liable, I don't mean to sound flippant in saying that but the reality is the solicitors battle it out any ways. Whether I 8nvite others on or not that will still be just as relevant. Unfortunately I had to deal with one flog who should have been a cull at birth a couple years ago which opened my eyes right up...not a pretty path to tread. In this country if you turn out to be the victim/claimant you have a massive head start towards victory from the get go. Best if I leave that there.

Old GT I'd say your on it and have given it plenty of thought :Y: Having a camp friendly area to set up on is always a big plus and personally there are areas that I no longer go to because of this. Clermonts a good example, plenty of GPA's but no camping allowed on them. Now that "Wolf" has a lease one can camp on in a super friendly environment up there it's a big plus.
Hope it all comes about :Y: :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
Occasional_panner said:
Smoky bandit said:
I may of missed something but unfortunately you need a minimum of 40 acres to use a firearm.. :Y: And that's just for small calibres like air rifle /22/shotguns....when using biger centrefires 40 acres is not enough. Also depends on where the 40 acres is situated :Y: Good luck.
Absolute rubbish http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/gun-law/is-there-a-minimum-area-of-land-for-shooting-on
This property sounds too small for anything but a 410 shotgun, but for the record there is no minimum acreage, at least not in Vic.
BTW look at the distance a 22 can go, it's very surprising for such a small round, they need to be respected.

Mate im a little offended by your remark ..Absolute rubbish. :mad: ..40 acres is minimum for the whole state. :Y: lol. :DThough if you were shooting on 5 acres in between large rural properties you might be ok if nobody rang the cops.Its also mentioned when doing your firearms licence.And I have had discussions with the qld police commisioner on this subject as I wanted to use a 22lr on 35 acres. :Y: Good luck discharging on any land smaller.Hope you dont loose ya licence.But I'm assuming you dont have one :Y:

1 Settle down.
2 Re read my post as it refers to Victorian laws. That is where his property is and those are the state laws that cover it, quite simple really.

Qld laws don't apply in Vic, same as prospecting, you need to check the laws of that state before carrying out any activity.

Here is some further reading http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?a=internetBridgingPage&Media_ID=72422
Look at P32

Have a nice day and God bless.

Occasional_panner said:
Smoky bandit said:
Occasional_panner said:
Smoky bandit said:

1 Settle down.
2 Re read my post as it refers to Victorian laws. That is where his property is and those are the state laws that cover it, quite simple really.

Qld laws don't apply in Vic, same as prospecting, you need to check the laws of that state before carrying out any activity.

Here is some further reading http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?a=internetBridgingPage&Media_ID=72422
Look at P32

Have a nice day and God bless.
Haha that's funny Sorry mate I was being sarcastic.I really couldn't care less :D :D But if your unsure you can always contact the weapons branch in your state to find out the correct answer :Y:
You have a nice day as well champ :Y:

Well I guess we've all learnt something. It is with zero sarcasm I say if it's my topic but off topic go for it.

Remember the days when kids and adults alike could go hunting and shooting with a gun and that was just the Aussie way? Yeah I miss those days too...If I remember correctly there wasn't any more deaths from others accidentally shooting someone else then than there is now...

Bjay said:
Well since Old GT said it's ok for off topic in his thread I thought I'd add this.
In the army if a enemy target was too far away for accurate rifle fire you can do what's called harassing fire, not very accurate, but hell if you have a platoon of riflemen and 3x M60's sending harassing fire you probably wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. Aim high and let em have it. :| :|
Ahhh I miss the 50 cal..... bababababa.
(and having the gov pay for the ammo)

LoneWolf said:
$10 bucks a night to camp is very cheap :eek: ... On the toilet side, you could install an Enviro Loo or something simular, But watch out for bike riders and Insurance.. They Don't go together.... It only takes one and you could loose the lot.... My Cousin lives at Numurkah and wants me to come down for a visit, so could be an option as well.. :Y: .. When Winter is over... :cool:

LW...
Yeah, I reckon $10 is ripping you off a bit, especially with a toilet and shower $25 sounds more like it (just a patch of grass and nothing else would be less). Be sure you have Legal Liability cover that includes all activities if you charge people. That is why there are few $10 camp grounds.....

Well lads thanks for all the thoughts and contributions so far.

After the discussion had so far I have decided three things that I will do over the next couple of weeks.

No1 install solar power supply either in a shed or small container so there is a degree of power available. When and if I advertise I'll state the power limitations and have it clearly signed on site. Not sure if I should get the portable that has less storage but able to be charged by mains or more expensive larger capacity that will have to rely on solar and wind backup.....Any thoughts?

Both would have further us by me later on when I get around to building a proper dwelling.

Number 2 is to get a reefer shifted to the site. I'll line it out, put in either lino or tile floor, and a whirly, possibly store the solar point in it. I'll get a window and side door (secure) put in so end and side access available. Lockable dry storage for guests or lay out a swag or two inside if the weather is terrible.

Third thing I'm looking at if I can get a decent one, at reasonable price, is towable wet block, Maybe boost the hot water supply with those cheaper gas units. Again I can use when I go to build. The type I mean is like the ones you can hire when you do your bathroom renos. I've thought about the long drop enviro or eco toilet I think the local council would chuck a turn on even I thought it viable due to the slope and catchment area and proximity to lake.

I guess the real problem in the end might be if after I set it up would I bother to vacate the block long enough to allow guests...haha.

Again guys thanks for following and sharing.

Lastly anyone had experience with making and building with mud bricks? Any advice would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts