What are your other hobbies??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colmaca said:
Dirtdemon said:
Hi , much the same hobbies as above really

had dirtbikes over the years but just a ZX6 now
I had a ZX6 had it up to 290km/hr got a ZX7 after that hit the
300 :p

Since then I retired for so much radical stuff I more sensible. that was only 10 years ago :8

300k's. ? Happy days. :D

I thought 140 miles an hour was fun ( no officer that was at Easter creek racetrack on a 900 Ducati )

I've been into fishing and camping since I could walk, got a 4.2m boat and 4WD to make the most of it.
Also love playing Bass Guitar and been in a few different bands but taking a break the past few months.
Antiques is something I'm getting into a bit, my 9x7m shed goes up in a couple of weeks and I want to deck it out in an old hotel bar theme/jam room and have my music gear permanently set up. The next 12 months will be fun decking out the man cave.

1414192371_dsc05820.jpg

Some of my music gear from the past couple of years, probably became a collector more than a successful player ;)
1414192668_dsc04256.jpg
1414192534_dsc05629.jpg

stevo said:
Have been into radio control aircraft for last 7 odd years.

awsome...r/c is a pretty expensive hobby ey. i use to race 1/8 offroad nitro truggys...my weapon was the team accociated RC8T/ O.S .21/.28/.30 engines allways :cool:

backcreek said:
pauly250 said:
In the process of getting the WMW250 enduro ready for summer,good old smokey 2 stroke mosquito killer

Comes in handy for a bit of recon in the state forrests

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0_10205004919588372_6254806325651695161_n.jpg

WMW, haven't seen one of those for years.
Woodies got away with murder ADRing those bikes.
What year model?

Never got in to two strokes, wish I did. rd 350/400, suzi 5oo- 750 gt. and a few other blue smokers. racing a big bore trail smoker would be errr, interesting.

backcreek said:
pauly250 said:
In the process of getting the WMW250 enduro ready for summer,good old smokey 2 stroke mosquito killer

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...0_10205004919588372_6254806325651695161_n.jpg

What year model?

95 model,the wiring system is a major headbuckle at the moment ,i can remember my brother taking his 89 cr down to get ADR,d it cost $2000 and it came back with just the plate ,no lights or anything LOL

I got the rare full cover side covers from the american motorcross museum and uncovered stacks of new old stock plastics in the attic of a accessorie shop in parramatta.

Bikes arent popular with the trail bike cops LOL

HeadsUp said:
Colmaca said:
Dirtdemon said:
Hi , much the same hobbies as above really

had dirtbikes over the years but just a ZX6 now
I had a ZX6 had it up to 290km/hr got a ZX7 after that hit the
300 :p

Since then I retired for so much radical stuff I more sensible. that was only 10 years ago :8

300k's. ? Happy days. :D

I thought 140 miles an hour was fun ( no officer that was at Easter creek racetrack on a 900 Ducati )

Love it. I started on some older bikes then got the yzf 750 which was well hooned until my best mate got his open license and a 2012 ninja. I took a ride on it and against it and it blew me away. ... so I had a brief stint on an r1, highlights included a couple of Buller runs, a bit of track time out at Winton, and a two day jaunt from merimbula to tumut and back again. Not long after that last trip my mate and I were having a local ride really pushing it and he missed the dog leg trying to catch up, passing through a fence and into a shallow dam. I was too far ahead to see it happen but thankfully he didn't drown. He was choppered out and now has a pin and few screws holding the leg together after nearly a year of rehab he had to endure. I gave up the bikes after that better to get out ahead of the game, but brought back my old yzf for the memories. I still go out on the trial bikes (CRF 450) to get my need for speed but I'll never go back to the way things were, almost lost my best mate to them.
Those two were seriously quick bikes in a straight line and around the tracks factory built.
1414277725_img_20141026_095414.jpg

Roadie at the front CRF behind it obscured

Bikes are great and on the Jap Rice rockets you really have to be careful and ride with in your own limits. I have a few mates come off at high speed on them after they bought a GSXR1000 and forgot to learn how to corner...Thankfully the only damage done was to their pride and a few small scratches on the bike.

I started with a poxy old XL250 that had the side of the tank bashed in to fit a carby off an 1100cc bike. It ran twice for me and my brother and then it stopped. The next time we wen to use it the old girl had been nicked and I just thought "cool, now its someone elses problem"

Bike 2 was an 89' CBR250. What a beast and I really learnt to ride on the road on it around some great roads in NE Vic. Only a small bike but plenty of power still to scare me occasionally. After moving to Melbourne I thought bugger riding this on the freeway daily so I traded it in on a car. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I wish I still had the little rocket.

After no bikes for a couple years I then went and bought this in 2006..
1414288773_knee_pads.jpg

Bought new in 2006 and screams old school cool but the down side is that Royal Enfields are now made in India, not England and the quality can best be described as 'Indian'.

A few sensible mods to allow for better cruising on our roads and fitting some quality parts and these bikes are pretty good. Mine is the last carby model they produced before going to a Fuel injected motor which is 10 times better than mine both in quality and build.

I have also just about finished restoring a 1952 BSA Bantam which I got in bits, now just the wiring needs finishing off. Don't think I will do too much riding on the roads with it and have seriously thought about selling it for an SDC2300....any takers? :p
1414289169_photo-01401.jpg

That's how I got it, can't find a pic of it now but will do one and post.

If any one ever is riding round Oz and are coming through this way I'm keen as to meet up and tag along for an hour or two.

Cheers

pauly250 said:
backcreek said:
pauly250 said:

What year model?

95 model,the wiring system is a major headbuckle at the moment ,i can remember my brother taking his 89 cr down to get ADR,d it cost $2000 and it came back with just the plate ,no lights or anything LOL

I got the rare full cover side covers from the american motorcross museum and uncovered stacks of new old stock plastics in the attic of a accessorie shop in parramatta.

Bikes arent popular with the trail bike cops LOL

I still have my 87 model cr250RH which I bought second hand from the Australian Enduro Champ at the time.
I raced that bike for 10 years. For a motocross bike it was the best enduro mount you could have at the time.

Four wheel driving, camping, fishing, 4WD touring & I write some poetry to occupy my spare time.
I have been asked (no, nagged) to compile a book of my poems, I have collected some for publication but don't know where to go from there. I have some posted on Facebook as a way of assessing interest.

WOW what a collection. There's even a fretless bass there mate!!! I got interested in the bass when i heard Les Claypool (Primus) slappin & tappin in the early 90's. Tried to learn myself but i came to the conclusion iam better off playing in front of the dog then a group of people. Very envy of your set up, bloody nice work.

ProspectorPete said:
I've been into fishing and camping since I could walk, got a 4.2m boat and 4WD to make the most of it.
Also love playing Bass Guitar and been in a few different bands but taking a break the past few months.
Antiques is something I'm getting into a bit, my 9x7m shed goes up in a couple of weeks and I want to deck it out in an old hotel bar theme/jam room and have my music gear permanently set up. The next 12 months will be fun decking out the man cave.

Some of my music gear from the past couple of years, probably became a collector more than a successful player ;)

dav said:
WOW what a collection. There's even a fretless bass there mate!!! I got interested in the bass when i heard Les Claypool (Primus) slappin & tappin in the early 90's. Tried to learn myself but i came to the conclusion iam better off playing in front of the dog then a group of people. Very envy of your set up, bloody nice work.

ProspectorPete said:

YEH. some top gear there. worth a bob or two as well. :p a good, solid, bass player in synch with a likewise drummer is the foundation of a top band IMHO. saw the Divinyls negro bass player, awesome,as was the negro drummer, totally in synch. Mark mc enty ?- is great also. there were a great band[ duo]. ;)

1415256175_image.jpg

Fixed this one up for fishing, she was bright green with no motor and a rusted out trailer wen I got it.
Then there's the xr8 which is a lot of fun powered by this beast :)
1415256709_image.jpg

Four wheelin
Trail bikes, no longer have one :(
And of course prospecting
Cheers

Hi guys, one of my hobbies is building up electric guitars, mainly since I cannot afford or justify paying over $5000US for the privilege of owning a David Gilmour Signature Stratocaster. Since I am a mad Pink Floyd fan, I just had to have one, so a lot of scouring on ebay and the net managed to source all the required parts to build my dream guitar.

Parts sourced for the build included a vintage reissue mexican neck, vintage Japanese Fender body, vintage reissue Jimi Hendrix tremelo, CTS pots and Fender pickup selector switch, Fender vintage reissue tuners, Fender cream pickup covers and control knobs, Seymour Duncan SSL-1 for heck and middle pickups, and Seymour Duncan SSL-5 for the bridge.

Custom parts made by myself include the shortened tremelo arm, acrylic pickguard and microswitch to allow combination of neck and bridge pickups together.

The backplate for the neck is inscribed with the same serial number as david gilmour's black strat, and the body was weathered to replicate his strat.

Whilst being no luthier, most knowledge was gained from reading reference material, and checking out online sites, so I am pretty chuffed with the results.

I've had this particular guitar now for quite a few years, and it is definitely my favourite from the three that I have made. The other two have since been sold, and represented other versions of his strat. :)

1415619862_img_20141110_212408.jpg

1415619886_img_20141110_212340.jpg

1415619909_img_20141110_212430.jpg

1415619936_img_20141110_212537.jpg

1415619987_img_20141110_212647.jpg

1415619964_img_20141110_212611.jpg

1415620008_img_20141110_212716.jpg

That's awesome Goldpick, there's something special about constructing your own instruments to suit your own specifications.
I've constructed 4 basses (sold 1 to a mates son which was my Roger Waters tribute P) from sourcing various parts and it's a great feeling when you plug them in for the first time and open up that volume pot :)
My pride and joy is my Jazz bass, constructed 3 years ago and it played like a dog and was too heavy for more than 3 songs, it's had everything changed apart from the neck plate and controls over a 2 year period to get it to where it is now, and now it's my most comfortable and playable bass I own but it's cost me the equivalent of 3 Fender USA Jazz's to get it right. I couldn't sell it if I wanted to after the work that's gone into it.

This was when it was first finished 3 years ago, Warmoth body, AAA Birdseye Maple neck, SD STK2 pickups with coil taps but was heavy and played bad.
1415701636_dsc05176.jpg

Bought a lighter body which helped but the neck had dead spots on a couple of notes and still sounded bad.
1415701636_dsc05378.jpg

Bought a Fender '62 RI jazz neck, different bridge, DiMarzio Model J pickups with series/parallel switching and now it's a dream to play.
1415701636_dsc06009.jpg

I bought a Fender USA 2010 Precision body with Lindy Fralin pickup to put with the Warmoth neck and it's a great player too, the dead spots in the neck are gone too.
1415701747_dsc06031.jpg

I constructed this last winter when I needed a new project to tackle, I've always wanted a T-Bird and being a Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) fan Tracey suggested making a tribute bass, so I did and called it T-Bird Tracey. It's a Fender Squire '51 RI Tele Bass neck on an Epiphone Thunderbird body with SD pickups. The Fender neck is 2 1/2" at the heal and the body was 2 1/4" in the pocket so routing had to be done on the body to achieve a good fit and keep the 34"scale length and a custom paint job to complete the look. Unfortunately it's not the most comfortable bass to play so it's headed for the wall on the man cave to see out it's life.
1415703600_dsc04418.jpg

1415703142_dsc04801.jpg

1415701747_dsc04816.jpg

We should start a band of DIY players :lol:

Lol, you look just like me with the soldering iron on hand, towel on table, madly trying out new gear. Nice looking basses, those fender necks and parts are getting pretty hexy these days. I'd hate to think how much some of my parts would be worth to buy again at todays prices.

Some of the best Fender gear is Japanese, I reckon some of their vintage stuff eclipses the American axes with regards to quality. :)

Latest posts