So What Do You All Do When........

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This winter has been pretty bad for me, so cold and windy I've hardly ventured outside for weeks and it's really getting me down. All my hobbies and pass times have been outdoor orientated, fishing, kayaking, you know fun stuff, but now the bones are telling me, "not any more"
So what do you do when it's too bloody cold and miserable to go outside ? and yes, Ive tried "the good fire, a good bottle of wine and a bad woman"
I'm not a collector, more a hands on, making type bloke, I've got a reasonable size garage (unheated ) to work in and a reasonable array of tools,( no welding)
So I'm looking for ideas for an old fart ( with apology to Anolphart ) to fill in some time with in the cold weather

I am not an old fart but do often fart and I dont like the cold either. How about building yourself a big green house conservatory thing and going into propogating plants then selling them online. Nice place to be on a windy winters day and you still get the sun :cool:

Do you have a Mens Shed near you by chance? My father in law joined the local one and he loves it. His woodworking skills have improved exponentially since joining. I always thought it was for only blokes 55+ but hes chasing me to join as well.

Bonsai is another hobby of mine, it can be rewarding if you are into that sort of thing.
I have some that I have had for over 20 years.
I start training new ones all the time. I buy seeds from Aliexpress and germinate them in a few small greenhouses etc. I get in trouble for storing seeds in the upstairs refrigerator for cold stratification. Waiting for September to sow 100s of rare seeds. Hopefully will get a good germination rate.

Goldfreak said:
I am not an old fart but do often fart and I dont like the cold either. How about building yourself a big green house conservatory thing and going into propogating plants then selling them online. Nice place to be on a windy winters day and you still get the sun :cool:
A big cheap glass hothouse. :Y:
made from these
1533119382_images-22.jpg

put together like this (sorta)
1533119428_images-20.jpg

anyway... there's a how to type link :D
https://thegreenlever.blogspot.com/search/label/DIY glass greenhouse?m=1

Interesting answers coming in :Y:

Bonsai, you're kidding me, I'm 72, I don't have time :lol:

Propagating plants :( I'm a bit more of an instant gratification person

Dredge :Y: :Y: :Y: Last year I made a mini highbanker that is still virginal, haven't even started the pump, and yes I'm in Vic

Mens Shed, hmm, hadn't even thought of them :)

I wish i had time like that :Y:
Any down time i do get during winter is spent doing little jobs to make sure they dont need doing early spring when prospecting is at its best.
Like service the mower , trim scrubs , spring clean
If i was close to the gold feilds i would be driving every backroad and building a map of attack :lol:

One winter, to cold in the shed,went and got some bunya pine branches
and started whittling carictures, making hiking sticks in front of the fire.
dog didn't mind, sold em at the markets. fun to do and no real expense.
carbatec sell a good carving pocket knife with different shaped blades.
feel your pain.
1533121204_imag4475_1.jpg

I think Mens Shed is a great idea.
Not that I am affiliated with them (yet!) I have heard wonderful things about the group and getting ol' fellas active.

Men's Shed is a good idea Keith. ..I go to one every Wednesday with a few mates my age (70) and we all have a good time with assorted projects. Our most recent one is restoring old Tonka trucks for charitable organizations to pass on to underprivileged kids. It involves stripping them right down to bare metal, repainting, restickering and reassembling...basic stuff, but very therapeutic and rewarding.
Very lucky to have a mate with an amazing shed with al the gear including 3D printer and laser cutter.
If you can seek out a group that produces something worthwhile for kids or charities in your area, you may just discover a place where they use some new interesting machinery that pricks your interest.
Cheers Adrian.
1533126317_2018-08-01_21.51.30.jpg
1533126370_2018-08-01_21.50.22.jpg
1533126409_2018-08-01_21.52.20.jpg

Agree with the Men's Shed if you have one nearby. I'm sure they vary a bit but I had to give a talk up at the Bright Men's shed and WOW!! They have an incredible set up with lots of different tools and machinery and a very interesting bunch of blokes to talk to.

I agree with putting a heater in the shed too. Maybe a gas one if you have mains gas on - save buying wood.

I've been getting some formboard/ply/MDF off a mate (the best 'second grade' board you've ever seen) and been having a play with these. Built some shelving for the shed, a boat motor stand, going to make some casting decks for a cheap ass tinny I got and even used some of it for flooring today as we prepare to have carpets put in tomorrow.

And just know that you are not alone. In my line of work I meet heaps of retired people that aren't able to do what they used to do and just want something to keep them active and socializing. Your local community health service should be able to point you in the direction of men's groups, men's sheds, indoor bowls (warm :D ), day trip groups, etc.

Or a bunch of retired forum members could get together in the GT and dig some test holes and pan some material in warm water around a big fire and pass on the results to the rest of the forum members ]:D

Hope you find something to blow your hair back :Y:

I agree join the mens shed
I spoke to one here and they said if they have no projects on you can do one of your own for a donation for any wood used
Ok so the brain kicked in and thought rocker box
Just a thought mate
Oh and if you lived closer i have a wood heater you could of had for your shed not much good for inside the house anymore but good for the shed

Latest posts