what reactions do you get when you tell people you're a prospector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been prospecting for a number of years now, and when friends and relatives find out their reactions are varied. some are supportive and interested in what adventures you've had in your quest for gold, while some just look at you like you have some weird disease.
But by far the strangest reaction so far occurred yesterday when a co-worker, who recently found out about my hobby, returned from the dentist to excitedly give me his old, freshly extracted gold filling.
while i accepted his gift of .2g's of "mouth gold", I'm not sure what to do with it yet. lol :lol:
What's the strangest reaction you've had?

I'm also an amateur radio operator, which is an even more "daggy" hobby than prospecting. I get jokes so old about that, like the episode of Hancock's Half Hour from the 1960's where he was an amateur, and "had friends in every city in the world, except his own."

Most people are just mildly interested in prospecting, and generally ask whether I get enough to get rich. I don't have any green friends, who would probably be more critical.

I've never had anyone give me a gold tooth!

Both prospectors and ham's are generally deceptive when wives ask about how much money is spent on the hobby.

Most of my mates think it's lame and take the piss out of me..... Until I show them some of my gold and saphs.
Then they show a bit more interest but still have a good laugh.
It kind of drives me to find more so that one day I will have the last laugh ;)

people often comment "are you looking for gold", or "what are you looking for" I dont ask them where they are walking to, or why they are. Yet they seem to need explanation for my presence there. Genuine interest is good, but it often seems that, they are judging the legitimacy of my actions.

I've noticed if you tell people you're a fulltime prospector many people snicker and say it's a job for dreamers or people with no direction. If you tell them you prospect as a hobbie on the other hand they're far less critical.