Show us your camp set-up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HeadsUp said:
One mans camp is another mans castle

It's as individual as tastes in music and licker'

It's not my kind of camp but I won't criticise the guy that sleeps under a tree wrapped in a plastic sheet and bivvy or the guy that glamps with an air conditioned tent either

As long as a bloke has fun it doesn't bother me how they do it
Good to hear. This was my up market camping in the late 70's ... low rental was sleeping next to the fire but not too close. ;)
1409054603_biketent.jpg

nuggetino said:
Some nice set ups you guys have out there. Compared to my 4x4 it's glamping. Might be worthwhile mentioning that low life thieves do more than likely frequent these forums looking for potential steals. As a serious prospector it's what keeps me from posting pics of my vehicle and set up. Might just be paranoid but the last thing I'd want is to be out on the goldfields and have someone identify me as the guy with a car loaded with prospecting equipment.

Totally agree about being protective and careful. However I always think that anyone that was thinking about breaking into your car, is already the type of person who is going to break into your car. They would already know that anyone who is not local would have all equipment on board not too many that go bush and truly rough it these days.

But pays to be safe and keep the honest ones out though :)

Westaus said:
nuggetino said:
Some nice set ups you guys have out there. Compared to my 4x4 it's glamping. Might be worthwhile mentioning that low life thieves do more than likely frequent these forums looking for potential steals. As a serious prospector it's what keeps me from posting pics of my vehicle and set up. Might just be paranoid but the last thing I'd want is to be out on the goldfields and have someone identify me as the guy with a car loaded with prospecting equipment.

Totally agree about being protective and careful. However I always think that anyone that was thinking about breaking into your car, is already the type of person who is going to break into your car. They would already know that anyone who is not local would have all equipment on board not too many that go bush and truly rough it these days.

I have a steel combination safe bolted in to the back of my ute , i feel safer locking away wallet , ipad , phone etc where any thief would need an angle grinder or oxy acetylene to get it out

HeadsUp said:
thats not a honda 750 K2 is it ?

its a budget thing .......

i once slept next to the bike at Bathurst in winter with just a pair of shorts and a T shirt

cold ?

whats that ?
Kwaka Z900 1976 model

Remember being on the mountain for the Bathurst races a few years. Do not remember sleeping much ... soccer with a flaming toilet roll etc :)

jimnyjerry said:
Kwaka Z900 1976 model

Remember being on the mountain for the Bathurst races a few years. Do not remember sleeping much ... soccer with a flaming toilet roll etc :)

What a classic bike jimnyjerry and the Ants Pants in its day!

Always wanted the Z1 that Goose rides in Mad Max when I was a 19/20 yo but bought a HQ GTS coupe instead (man I miss that car, and the $$$ it would bring today)
I even forgot to remove my 'Sweet' cassette from the player when i sold it.

Ah the 70's.....sniff, sniff 8.(

Great camp setup, the only way to go back in the day!

Cheers

Westaus said:
nuggetino said:

Yes you can never let your guard down - did a Adelaide to Cape York trip in 2012 - had a fabulous time - but at the Cooktown Caravan Park not so much - we had just set up camp and it was already getting dark - so we meandered over to the community campfire to cook a few snags - gone about 20 minutes - and back to the camp for a feed and sleep... next day we go to the petrol station to fill up - and my mate shows me his empty wallet and says "Are you guys playing a trick on me?" I don't know what he is on about - then he says he had $500 in cash in it when we pulled into the park ... we deduced that during the 20 minute sausage sizzle ... a couple of lads who were not camping there decided to stop past to grab a shower and my mate's cash... he was silly and left his wallet on the car seat. At least they didn't take the whole wallet which contained his credit cards and license. He chalked it up to "part of the experience" and forgot about it but it bothered me for the rest of the trip! We traversed this great country - stopped in all sorts of places - and never had any dramas at all apart from this one stop ... lesson learned ... you just can't trust anyone no matter how far from civilization you are! 8)

Anyone looking for a nice sleeping ing aid whilst around the campfire,ALDI have tawny port called "Keepers Glove" for $4.99 for 1x750mls.
It's a good drop and so you should get a couple,also I'm told it's an excellent snake bite antidote

condor22 said:
I think you'll find it's the base of a HF antenna. Probably about the 2MHz range, used way out bush by RFDS and emergency coms. Huge long antenna.

If memory serves you have to have a licence and have done a RT course to use one.

Absolutely spot on! It is a Barrett "screwdriver" type HF antenna, made in the UK. It makes the antenna resonate (tune) anywhere between 1.6 MHz and 30MHz. The radios are normally more than $4000 new and have to be licensed by the ACMA, who will issue you with a radio call-sign. They are NOT ham (Amateur Radio) or CB radios.

The Codan brand of HF radios do much the same and are made here in Oz. Older radios had big, thick brown or black antennas with "tap" sockets all the way up the stem. You change frequency by plugging a lead and banana plug into the different sockets. Each hole has a frequency stamped on it, such as 2020, 4425, 8022, 10180 etc. Those are the USB (upper single-sideband) channel frequencies in kHz. They used to use Flying Doctor channels but now use "Land Mobile" HF radio club channels blonging to HF Radio Club or VKS-737 Radio Club.

DavidH
Sydney

HeadsUp said:
Westaus said:
I have a steel combination safe bolted in to the back of my ute , i feel safer locking away wallet , ipad , phone etc where any thief would need an angle grinder or oxy acetylene to get it out

Wow. That is a brilliant idea. I must remember that! :)

Thank you.

DavidH
Sydney

gedanate said:
HeadsUp said:
Westaus said:

Wow. That is a brilliant idea. I must remember that! :)

Thank you.

DavidH
Sydney

I hide my gear and don't tell all and sundry on the internet where I hide it. :)

slowflow said:
got this 2 weeks back but it did not come with a prospecting permit.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1396727945_dscf1485-1.jpg

This is the one with a permit, if it lasts 2 more years I'll be lucky.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1396728480_dsci0210-1.jpg
I heard those Avans will give you a pointy head

kleinman98 said:
slowflow said:
got this 2 weeks back but it did not come with a prospecting permit.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1396727945_dscf1485-1.jpg

This is the one with a permit, if it lasts 2 more years I'll be lucky.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1396728480_dsci0210-1.jpg
I heard those Avans will give you a pointy head

I am a fan of the avan and might consider purchasing one in the near future.

Its very light and easy to tow with not much wind drag as a normal traditional van
plus with the added bonus of a solid roof and sides for added security.

Older models can be purchased for around $8k and you can always fit a shower near the middle of
the van if one wanted to.

As always though each to their own.

Yeah Jaros, a swag and an some eggshell foam. Very comfortable and no problem to just close the back up and go for a drive.

1431135567_colorado_camp_2.jpg

The tarp can be so versatile, limited only by imagination.
This setup was another cold, wet June long weekend shooting trip with a couple of mates.

1431135865_tarp_camp_4.jpg

Cheers,
Billy.

Latest posts