Show us your camp set-up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Headsup - I've believe if someone breaks into your house, gets caught and during the break in, injures themselves they can also sue.

If you injure them, you personally can be sued.

Years ago when working armed security, I was told by "someone in uniform", "if you have to shoot someone to protect yourself, remember, dead men can't sue or argue what happened"
;)

Nightjar said:
Yes, it's an auto tune aerial with the whip removed. Connected to a Barrett 550 HF radio. Being a member of VKS-737 includes your licence (Costs can be found in Casper's link above.) is extremely handy in remote areas. Has the ability to use radio connect for emergency calls to a land line. No call charges.
We have found that Alice Springs base is most common contact while in the WA outback, on occasions have talked to Derby, Tasmania and of course Perth.
When you are allocated a callsign eg: Mobile 1234 you also get a sellcall number, in this case it would be 1234. This gives you the added advantage of being able to send messages to other VKS-737 members or base stations.

I knew I had read this info somewhere. This forum has so much to offer (how good is that) that it has taken some time to find this post again. We will be needing this shortly so thank you Casper & Nightjar. I have saved the link to favourites - happy prospecting all :)

15s77dk.jpg
15q7v5k.jpg

slowflow said:
got this 2 weeks back but it did not come with a prospecting permit.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1396727945_dscf1485-1.jpg

This is the one with a permit, if it lasts 2 more years I'll be lucky.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1396728480_dsci0210-1.jpg
Brrr!! looks a bit cold there.

condor22 said:
:) Headsup - I've believe if someone breaks into your house, gets caught and during the break in, injures themselves they can also sue.

If you injure them, you personally can be sued.

Years ago when working armed security, I was told by "someone in uniform", "if you have to shoot someone to protect yourself, remember, dead men can't sue or argue what happened"
;)
Sounds like a Victorian cop.

1408983510_hill-end-1-200814.jpg

Two OzTent Jet Tent F30X castles with a huge Spinifex gazebo. Yes that is a telly hanging from the middle of the gazebo. The smaller gazebo to the right is the camp kitchen.

That was a camp at Hill End just over a week ago. I wish I was still there. :rolleyes:

Some nice set ups you guys have out there. Compared to my 4x4 it's glamping. Might be worthwhile mentioning that low life thieves do more than likely frequent these forums looking for potential steals. As a serious prospector it's what keeps me from posting pics of my vehicle and set up. Might just be paranoid but the last thing I'd want is to be out on the goldfields and have someone identify me as the guy with a car loaded with prospecting equipment.

RadioGuru said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1450/1408983510_hill-end-1-200814.jpg

Two OzTent Jet Tent F30X castles with a huge Spinifex gazebo. Yes that is a telly hanging from the middle of the gazebo. The smaller gazebo to the right is the camp kitchen.

That was a camp at Hill End just over a week ago. I wish I was still there. :rolleyes:

Jeez, by the time you set that all up, it would be time to pack up and go home !! :)

Not what you would do for a weekend away, surely.

One mans camp is another mans castle

It's as individual as tastes in music and licker'

It's not my kind of camp but I won't criticise the guy that sleeps under a tree wrapped in a plastic sheet and bivvy or the guy that glamps with an air conditioned tent either

As long as a bloke has fun it doesn't bother me how they do it

condor22 said:
Jeez, by the time you set that all up, it would be time to pack up and go home !! :)

Not what you would do for a weekend away, surely.

Not at all. Two hours maximum. And all bar one of the Jet Tents and 50% of the gear in the camp kitchen folds up and packs into a medium station wagon provided some attention is paid to packing correctly. I've had a setup like this for years and thus plenty of practice.

Yes, it is a long way from what I used to take 20 years ago - a three man A tent, two changes of clothes and some very basic cooking gear. :)

Also, those quickgrip clamps from Bunnings make great ways to attach things to the gazebo. Lighting and the telly mainly. Much faster and neater than cable ties or electrical tape.

nuggetino said:
Might be worthwhile mentioning that low life thieves do more than likely frequent these forums looking for potential steals. As a serious prospector it's what keeps me from posting pics of my vehicle and set up. Might just be paranoid but the last thing I'd want is to be out on the goldfields and have someone identify me as the guy with a car loaded with prospecting equipment.

A valid point and I have also, at times, worried about what I leave behind. I always take my camera gear and laptop with me when I leave camp though things like the telly and the fridge stay otherwise I just risk back injury and the telly isn't worth much despite its features - built in DVD, SD card reader, USB, etc. More often than not I end up lucky enough to be camping close to older campers, people who are generally trustworthy and whether that has been the case or not I have been lucky enough to not have had anything stolen from a camp.

If a 'tea leaf' did try his luck whilst I was around though he would end up regretting it. Apart from a good thrashing he'd go away empty-handed.

Latest posts