What temperature do you set your engel/camp fridge to?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mate swears by the -3 degree rule when using a single battery (keeps everything cold when the engine is switched off). Given I'm still waiting to get my Navara booked in for the dual battery setup, keen to hear what others set theirs to?

I run a National Luna 60L twin and set the fridge at 1 degree and the freezer at -18. When it gets hot it struggles to stay at -18 but will generally keep around -14 or so. I described the power setup in a recent post. At the end of the day its up to you and what power you have. If you're only out for a few days or couple of weeks it doesn't really matter so long as the frozen stays frozen but I spend about 4-5 months in the Pilbara. I'm remote and re-provisioning is a mission. I need my frozen and unfrozen perishables to last for as long as possible so we can eat well, and stay healthy. Can't afford to get crook out there.

I set my meat and dairy fridge at -2C. This seems to achieve a temp of around +2C in the middle of the fridge compartment when full.

I figure cold is better, there's nothing worse than crook food when camping.

were i live and prospect it can get up to 45-47 degrees so when i get up morning i just turn right up ,ventilation around motor and a wet wheat bag because all of my fridges r steel

65L evakool travel mate glacier
here in qld -3 in summer
-1 in winter
plus i made perspex dividers with holes drilled in them for air circulation (cuts the large compartment into 4 compartments)
the fridge has a 3 degree temperature cycle , i run 1 x110 amp hour battery no problems

65L evakool travel mate glacier
here in qld -3 in summer
-1 in winter
plus i made perspex dividers with holes drilled in them for air circulation (cuts the large compartment into 4 compartments)
the fridge has a 3 degree temperature cycle , i run 1 x110 amp hour battery no problems
My Engel 40 litre in middle WA, in back of my cruiser: if using as freezer -4 deg, if using as fridge +4 deg, never flattened my battery yet even after a few days no driving.

The temp guage has failed on my Engel 45 but I use a separate guage that reads 3-4 degrees. Unless i am freezing something for a long stay. Prob -20 for freezing.

The temp guage has failed on my Engel 45 but I use a separate guage that reads 3-4 degrees. Unless i am freezing something for a long stay. Prob -20 for freezing.
Those built-in LCD digital thermometers in Engels, need a new battery from time to time. The instructions for fitting the battery (it's a bit of a fiddly job), are on a sticker inside the lid.

I run my Engel as a fridge at around 2 to 3 degrees, in summer I have to crank it up a bit to compensate for the extra heat, 45-46 in the Pibara

I run my Bushman at -2.
Bottom part freezes leaving the top half at or about 1 degrees.
If you leave it closed all the time, It will freeze the lot.
And that depends on the ambient temperature at the time.

I relocated the sensor to about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom.

Three way system. Engel as a freezer only at -4 degrees rarely opened.
Chilli chest for vegies & beer, Caravan fridge on gas for general and freezing daily changeover water bottles for the Chilli Chest.

I run my Evakool 47 f/g at about 4.
Have no need for a freezer.
Short trip I'll vacuum seal meat at home (lasts 5 days.) Longer trips I'll get it cryovaced ( lasts 30 days).

Does anyone run a fan for air flow inside their fridge? Ive thought about adding 12v PC type fan in mine. There are also wireless battery powered ones that will run for 3 weeks on 2 D sized cells.

Ps. I run my companion fridge around the Zero mark for cooling.

"Does anyone run a fan for air flow inside their fridge? I've thought about adding 12v PC type fan in mine."
II think it might be a good idea GaryO, as I have often thought about putting one in our 3 way caravan fridge/freezer as it ices up,
Thought of having it blow air over the cooling fins to see if it stops it from icing up

"Does anyone run a fan for air flow inside their fridge? I've thought about adding 12v PC type fan in mine."
II think it might be a good idea GaryO, as I have often thought about putting one in our 3 way caravan fridge/freezer as it ices up,
Thought of having it blow air over the cooling fins to see if it stops it from icing up
This is an more elaborate one you can buy , but im sure it wouldn't be hard to come up with your own ideas .
Does exactly what you were after Jack 👍🏼

https://karlskoolrv.com/products/internal-fridge-fan

Temperature settings are subjective! There are a number of primary issues to consider;
1. Is it a combi fridge freezer or single compartment. (my combi when set to -18 in the freezer has a fan that circulates into the fridge compartment and is not adjustable. Without the divider panel it gets treated as a single compartment fridge OR freezer.)
2. What are you putting in to it re food and drink, i.e beer and softies can sit at a higher temp safely, whereas milk needs to be colder. And, yes I know, who wants a warm beer, lol.
3. Ambient temperature in operating environment. A fridge/freezer works a lot harder in summer than winter.
4. How much battery power capacity do you have. You need enough to cater for worst case scenario.
5. Type and frequency of replacing used battery capacity. i.e. solar, DC-DC, mains etc.

The key thing re settings is; The lower you set the temperature of a fridge or freezer and the warmer the environment, the more power it will use and the more you need to replace.

The other important consideration is; For food safety reasons a fridge should be set to 5C or colder and, for frozen food, particularly things like fish n chicken at least -18C.

With so many different fridge brands, sizes and combinations and power sources, there is no definitive answer other than if it's safe and works for you, fine.

Latest posts