Making a video

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
We all like to sit back and watch an interesting video when we have the time but I don't see too many being posted here?

I'm sure you all take a few snaps from time to time and there are some great video and photo editoring apps available these times. I almost always use Movavi Video Edtor but it costs a bit. There's a free one now by Microsoft called Chipchamp that I tried a few weeks back. If you don't like to hear your voice on a video then you can just type it out and Chipchamp will convert your text to voice. I'm sure there are many more free apps, Google must have something. One of the reasons I use Movavi is because I can insert videos and still photos, add music, sounds and voice, text, alter speed, rotate images and lots more.

The thing that prompted me to write this is that I just found a new app. Mrs M had to put a movie together that was limited in overal size while having an enormous amount of content. When we put the draft together it came in at 881mb for a 1min 30sec video. She was only allowed a maximum of 120mb, a seventh of the original size. The answer was an app called Handbrake. It can be a little complicated to get the results you need but our first attempt at reducing the video it came down from 881mb to 19mb and the quality was still fair. We tampered with it for a while (about two hours) and ended up with a good quality video of 80.9mb, a tenth of its original size and you couldn't tell the difference on the laptop screen.

We are limited to 50mb to upload here but with this new compression software you could easily post a two minute video without uploading it to youtube.

Hopefully some of you will give it a go and show us what you've been up to lately 😏

Handbrake is a great tool, I also use Avidemux for video resizing/cropping and editing. I try to use a lot of open-source software.

Forums are not really good for directly uploading videos to, mainly because of storage space and bandwidth. Which is why Youtube and other video hosting services are so popular. When you upload to Youtube for example, it creates multiple versions of each video, starting from low resolution and quality of 240p all the way up to 2160p. So all devices are supported and videos are spread around to multiple servers all over the world, so when you watch a video it will be directed to a server closest to your location.

We all like to sit back and watch an interesting video when we have the time but I don't see too many being posted here?

I'm sure you all take a few snaps from time to time and there are some great video and photo editoring apps available these times. I almost always use Movavi Video Edtor but it costs a bit. There's a free one now by Microsoft called Chipchamp that I tried a few weeks back. If you don't like to hear your voice on a video then you can just type it out and Chipchamp will convert your text to voice. I'm sure there are many more free apps, Google must have something. One of the reasons I use Movavi is because I can insert videos and still photos, add music, sounds and voice, text, alter speed, rotate images and lots more.

The thing that prompted me to write this is that I just found a new app. Mrs M had to put a movie together that was limited in overal size while having an enormous amount of content. When we put the draft together it came in at 881mb for a 1min 30sec video. She was only allowed a maximum of 120mb, a seventh of the original size. The answer was an app called Handbrake. It can be a little complicated to get the results you need but our first attempt at reducing the video it came down from 881mb to 19mb and the quality was still fair. We tampered with it for a while (about two hours) and ended up with a good quality video of 80.9mb, a tenth of its original size and you couldn't tell the difference on the laptop screen.

We are limited to 50mb to upload here but with this new compression software you could easily post a two minute video without uploading it to youtube.

Hopefully some of you will give it a go and show us what you've been up to lately 😏
You should check the video settings on your phone camera. Many are default set to take 4k video. The data this setting requires is huge. And when you consider that the great majority of screens are default set to HD, there's a lot of extraneous data floating around 😉. 4k is only really useful if you need to zoom right in on something (or give the viewer that option)

You should check the video settings on your phone camera. Many are default set to take 4k video. The data this setting requires is huge. And when you consider that the great majority of screens are default set to HD, there's a lot of extraneous data floating around 😉. 4k is only really useful if you need to zoom right in on something (or give the viewer that option)

Interesting, I'll have to try that. I don't usually tamper with anything that I don't uderstand. (not entirly true because there's no much I really understand and I'm always tampering with something)

Latest posts