NSW Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manpa said:
LoneWolf said:
Well said Manpa...

We have houses here in the Gold Coast Hinterland and im sure other areas around Australia as well, where if you stand on the Balconies you can touch the Gum Trees....
They think its great living amongst the Trees.... I think it's bloody scary... :argh:

LW.....

We stayed at a property in Lower Beechmont a number of years ago, built on the side of a hill, virgin scrub up to the back fence which was less than 10ft from the house, not a snowballs chance in hell of stopping a fire coming up a steep slope with that amount of fuel. I note that yesterday the area was under attack from fire, I hope they were lucky enough to survive it.

Sounds a bit like the house I worked on in Lower Beechmont years back, timber built on the side of the hill, continuous veranda on three sides surrounded by tall gums you could touch, a drive cut into the side of the hill, only one way in or out. Certain death trap and no way of saving it in these current conditions. It was a lovely place but madness!!

Then you get the Greenies, shack nestled into the trees and they curse the RFS when they won't come and save them because there's no alternate exit!

People have to wake up, 20m of dirt of green grass (if you have water) surrounding the house, then you might be lucky and survive. As you said, our indigenous brothers are the smart ones and got it right :Y: :clap:

LoneWolf said:
Thanks Dave I will pass on your well-wishes... :Y: I really don't know if I can get through to Emmaville ATM... Might have to do a really long drive and come in the back way. I will make my decision later in the Week...

Manpa that Fire is now raging... Homes will be lost... Friends of my Sister, live in the Danger Zone in that fire and were woken by a chopper over their roofs at 1am on Saturday and were told to leave and haven't been able to return as yet...

LW...

I know you know the area well mate, but even the best of knowledge can't prevent a fire turning and your exit is cut off, take care and all our best to the gang down there.

Yes, thanks Guys, but I know a way in from the West that involves crossing the Beardy river and come in the 'Back Door' to Robs place on the end of Gulf Rd... I spoke to Robert last night and that seems to be the best option ATM and he has cleared the way if the RFS need to get in there and can't access Gulf Rd from the east... But things can change in a second... I will not put My life or anyone else in Danger and I won't go if I can't get in or is too dangerous...

Bob was in tears the other night and needs some support... And as some know, he hasn't much support down there... :|

Dihusky, it was well proven during the 'Black Saturday' fires in Victoria that even 5ac cleared around your House isn't enough sometimes... A lot of these houses won't get insurance coverage or it will be too dear to insure after these Fires are out...

LW...

I have just spoken to a few in Emmaville and after a big Effort by the RFS today, they are getting the upper hand on the situation down there.... :clap: :Y:

The Bolivia By-pass is also safe after they built a massive fire break around the Construction site...

I just feel for the Others in NSW and QLD that are still in Danger or have suffered massive losses... :brokenh:

LW...

As far as cleared land around structures go it really is a mind set belief that a fire won't impact, most won't but a fire storm is totally uncontrollable. In reality as I saw with Black Saturday these fire storms are indiscriminate and no place is safe, it's pure luck some structures survive. A house that was lost in the Kilmore East fire was brick veneer sitting in open bone dry dirt paddocks with fire pumps running to no avail yet a western red cedar house across the road that has a creek easement at its boundary survived while all the vegetation around it was flattened. The landscape prior to Black Saturday was baren to say the least on pretty much every private allotment. Yet the creek easements and roadsides (protected vegetation areas) with heavy fuel loads acted as a pathway for the fire to rage at ground level, along with the unpredictable spot fires that were to many to consider putting a number to them.

Mark my words the fuel loads in the forests and national parks will be equal to the levels just prior to these fires within the next 5 to 6 years if the fire has crowned killing most of the trees. It's these dead trees that will shed small to medium timber during wind events. This will add to the regrowth native vegetation at ground level, with the current weather if its to repeat in the next 5 to 6 years it could quite easily happen again. If I hadn't witnessed the accumulation of the fuel loads regeneration myself and someone said it would happen I would have trouble believing it but I have seen it.

We now have one of the Giant American Water-bombing DC-10 Jets on its way to Australia to assist us for the duration of our Fire Season.....

Thank You RFS NSW for organising this Beast.... :clap:

1573653573_e23a8da806711466ca4102f4af2306ff.jpg

LW....

I took a day off work on Tuesday when they issued the warning and sat all day with full water tanks , fire pump and two hoses ready in case we had issues , thankfully nothing flared up but while talking to a neighbouring farmer , he laughed at me and said I been here 15 years - no fire ever coming this place.

Our block is pretty tidy , rubbish is cleared , grass was cut short and raked . His farm has hundreds of metres of tree line with heavy overgrown scrub under it , in fact the ground cover is entwined with the tree canopy , if there is a fire his place will be scorched earth.

Humans can be funny like that , they think just because it didnt happen in 15 years that 15 years of heavy scrub growth will be fireproof.

Idiots...

I drove through Kinglake a couple of years after those tragic fires and 60 - 70 % of the land blocks hadnt been built on to replace the homes lost in the fires.

I guess the owners either had no insurance , were too heartbroken to rebuild , or they were deceased.......

The silly thing is , there are ways to build homes with modern materials that can make them bushfire resistant.

There are also plants you can put around a home that will not burn . Saltbush and 30 - 40 other plants can be planted for a green firebreak yet they will not burn even if you held a flame to them.

Many councils force you to landscape , saltbush and other species allow you to do that without risk of creating fuel load near Your home.

https://apsvic.org.au/fire-resistant-and-retardant-plants/

Manpa said:
I hope this is not taken in the wrong way as I have witnessed first hand the Ash Wednesday, Port Lincoln/ Wangary and Grampians fires and have photographed some of the aftermath of these fires and I am staggered at the loss of life, infrastructure, homes, livestock and peoples precious memories and treasures that are lost forever. There are those that are fire conscience and maintain their properties with fire reduction in mind but there are many who pay no heed to being prepared for fire and the devastation it wreaks.
As people seek the rural sea change / tree change lifestyle many are unprepared either through ignorance or the shell be alright mate attitude

It is well past the time that local shires / councils police fire regulations to the letter of law, they also must be accountable for their own properties as well. State legislators must toughen future building regulations in fire prone areas to help ensure a level of safety for occupants. Approvals for housing developments on the rural fringes must be developed with fire prevention and escape routes in mind. Consider towns and estates in your areas and the ability for 5hem to cope with high volumes of traffic in evacuation periods, many would be found wanting.

State legislators must also review the regulations around controlled burns to ensure we do not have increased fuel loads etc in our State and National Parks, turn to our indigenous brothers and learn from their use of burns to prevent catastrophic fires.

Evacuation orders must be enforced on days of catastrophic fire danger, houses will provide no protection under these conditions, getting out early is the only way to remain safe.

Arsonists must be dealt with harshly, the full force of the law must apply, looters, the lowest form of burglar, should be dealt with severely also.

Firefighters, both voluntary and paid, water bombing pilots, police, ambulance, Red Cross, Salvation Army, service groups etc should all be heralded and celebrated for the bravery and tireless service to the community in the worst of times.

We live in a country which can be very unforgiving and I feel for those that have been touched these latest fires.
Please stay safe.

Very well said manpa. This fire season will be 20 years for me as a volunteer fire fighter so I have seen my fair share of fires and what can happen. I have been to many major fires in my time including the devastating Esperance fires of 2015 and the main thing I can say from my experience is if you are going to leave leave early.

Controlled burning in Australia is a must. I have seen how it can slow fires down and help firefighters out. In WA fire mitigation has come along way in the past few years and local shires will soon have to have Bush fire risk plans in place.

RM you are on the money with the fuel loadings. In the first year alone after a fir around 3 tons per hectare of fuel load will fall. Just to give you some idea of the significance of that 5 to 7 tons of loading is considered a manageable fuel loading if a fire was to happen. With my past job as a bushfire mitigation officer I found some areas in the Perth hills with loadings of 75 tones per hectare. That fighting to know that areas have loadings like that and unfortunately it was not uncommon to find loadings that high.

One of my brothers is currently working with the Central Coast Council. He meets with ministers, lunches with premiers etc. A couple of messages he shared with family....

"Just got called to a prelim emergency meeting for potential fire situation west of Central Coast.
Gospers Mtn fire started a couple of weeks ago out near Lithgow was 45,000 ha last week and on Tuesday it expanded to 80,000 ha. In an area where they cant stop it and its getting bigger and closer.

Anticipated to be 100,000 ha by end of weekend.On Tuesday it was spotting fires 10-12km ahead of the fire front. They reckon it wont stop until it hits the ocean . Or if we have a heap of rain.

Yeah, they said it could be a week or two away, but they have called all the RFS teams back from up your way to prepare. They are worried that if we have a week or two of hot windy weather it could be a 200km fire front impacting central coast, cessnock, lak mac, singleton all at the same time."

Stay safe out there people.

1573795020_76907856_3825657544126936_1858194287531917312_n.jpg

Farout Rod that sounds quite plausible, the fire is huge. Went for a drive today to Upper Colo (Wollemi NP) for a look, only about 20 mins from where I'm living at the moment. Was about 10km from the fire front at Colo Heights. 100mm of rain statewide would be good right now.....

Pics say it all.

1573798063_20191115_142018.jpg

1573798064_20191115_142907.jpg

Manpa said:
We have some hot weather hitting SA early next week, hopefully you dodge it in NSW and Qld, you guys could do with a break from dear ol Mother Nature.

Seriously considering googling up some Native American tribal elders and asking what they charge to pop down under for a beer and a rain dance or two....

Anyone wanna play google ?

Latest posts