Night detecting with the Explorer SE Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
silver said:
Can you not put gaffa tape over the speaker hole, that's what I have done with the propointer and you don't get sand in it and you can wash it under the tap without worrying about water getting into it ?
Goldpick said:
Back to the same spot tonight where I had a good run of coins and sinker, pretty much the same story. A few less coins, more sinkers, a few shotgun cartridges, copper, brass, and an unexpected 1952 threepence. Pretty much cleaned out this spot no unless I get waist deep in water, so will hopefully find a similar spot nearby for another night - I thought $40 from the one spot was pretty good going. :)

The White TRX got its first run, and performed very well, no problems finding the switch, the speaker hole got a bit of sand in it, but was very easy to clea once home. Sensitivity on the grass to buried targets is excellent, just have to remember that the detection area is on the tip only, and not on the actual pinpointer shaft. As mentioned, the LED isn't the greatest, but acceptable enough to spot coins in the hole.

Also gave the Teknetics G2 a short run tonight, and was pretty impressed with its performance on wet sand, seemed to balance out quite nicely, and run stable. The discrimination is also very good, with everything up to pull tabs knocked out, it managed to clearly pick a 1c coin out of a hole with two other targets in it, with one of them being a modern pull tab. Both the newer pictured $2 coin and coat of arms button were also picked out from wet sand between some rocks with the G2.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408393507_img_20140819_053612.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408393533_img_20140819_053635.jpg

I could, but then it sort of defeats the purpose of having a speaker - the Pro-find was particularly bad in that respect due to not having very prominent vibration, if going on that alone. Need someone to invent a bluetooth pinpointer with a wireless remote speaker, then you could make it truly waterproof. ;)

Wolfau said:
Goldpick said:
Back to the same spot tonight where I had a good run of coins and sinker, pretty much the same story. A few less coins, more sinkers, a few shotgun cartridges, copper, brass, and an unexpected 1952 threepence. Pretty much cleaned out this spot no unless I get waist deep in water, so will hopefully find a similar spot nearby for another night - I thought $40 from the one spot was pretty good going. :)

The White TRX got its first run, and performed very well, no problems finding the switch, the speaker hole got a bit of sand in it, but was very easy to clea once home. Sensitivity on the grass to buried targets is excellent, just have to remember that the detection area is on the tip only, and not on the actual pinpointer shaft. As mentioned, the LED isn't the greatest, but acceptable enough to spot coins in the hole.

Also gave the Teknetics G2 a short run tonight, and was pretty impressed with its performance on wet sand, seemed to balance out quite nicely, and run stable. The discrimination is also very good, with everything up to pull tabs knocked out, it managed to clearly pick a 1c coin out of a hole with two other targets in it, with one of them being a modern pull tab. Both the newer pictured $2 coin and coat of arms button were also picked out from wet sand between some rocks with the G2.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408393507_img_20140819_053612.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408393533_img_20140819_053635.jpg

Nice finds. The G2 is popular in the USA.

Its fast at processing good targets in iron. You would of
Noticed the speed for sure :D :D :D

Is used by button hunters as well. You need to change
Coils though. I found the nel sharpshooter best dealing
With junk. Its cousin the omega 8000 is a very impressive
Coin detector for around $850 and a bargain on the used
Market.

Do some tests with it in reference to swing speed. You will
Be surprised how fast you can swing it when detecting a
Good target next to iron.

How high did you run the discriminator? Around 30 was
Good because the discriminator is not marked with junk
id.

The only reason i sold the G2 was to Help with the purchase
of the v3i in which i needed more functionality.

I found my first ever shilling

With regards to discrimination on the G2, I was just playing around, running various junk items under the coil to see where they cut out, or move into the grey zone and give off a low tone. With modern pull tabs completely blanked out, it would be great for cherry picking goldies, but the usual downside is that it knocks out 5c, 10c, 20c, and 50c and most jewellery - really just leaves bottle caps to contend with. That's fine for really junky parks (depending on what you are looking for of course), but would rather run a lot less discrimination, and just put up with digging a few junk targets.

In cleaner areas, it will be interesting to see what depth is achievable running all-metal, I suspect it will go rather deep from intial impressions.

Would also just stick to around 30-40 for the beach, not much point on going mad with discrimination there.

As you mention, the recovery time is lightning quick, so you can get away with a reasonably fast swing speed.

I have used the NEL Sharpshooter on the Vaquero, it had pretty impressive depth for the size of coil, and very good for target separation, though I think the missus would kill me if I bought another detector related item at the moment . :D

Whilst I did mention that the missus would kill me if I bought another detector related item, I had to sneek this under the radar, and will be my last purchase for a long while. After losing my Garrett digger a while back, I have since been using a sharpened serrated garden trowel, but it really isn't up to the task of digging real deep plugs - hence the purchase of my first Lesche. :)

1408419830_img_20140819_130449.jpg

1408419857_img_20140819_130528.jpg

Goldpick said:
Whilst I did mention that the missus would kill me if I bought another detector related item, I had to sneek this under the radar, and will be my last purchase for a long while. After losing my Garrett digger a while back, I have since been using a sharpened serrated garden trowel, but it really isn't up to the task of digging real deep plugs - hence the purchase of my first Lesche. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408419830_img_20140819_130449.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408419857_img_20140819_130528.jpg

I have 2 of those. Nothing beats this..

58LT.jpg

Get in and get out quick is the motto, rather than smoking a cigar and taking your time with the lesche :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In saying this I have one of these arriving this week to test out.

31C.jpg

Goldpick said:
Wolfau said:
Goldpick said:

Nice finds. The G2 is popular in the USA.

Its fast at processing good targets in iron. You would of
Noticed the speed for sure :D :D :D

Is used by button hunters as well. You need to change
Coils though. I found the nel sharpshooter best dealing
With junk. Its cousin the omega 8000 is a very impressive
Coin detector for around $850 and a bargain on the used
Market.

Do some tests with it in reference to swing speed. You will
Be surprised how fast you can swing it when detecting a
Good target next to iron.

How high did you run the discriminator? Around 30 was
Good because the discriminator is not marked with junk
id.

The only reason i sold the G2 was to Help with the purchase
of the v3i in which i needed more functionality.

I found my first ever shilling

With regards to discrimination on the G2, I was just playing around, running various junk items under the coil to see where they cut out, or move into the grey zone and give off a low tone. With modern pull tabs completely blanked out, it would be great for cherry picking goldies, but the usual downside is that it knocks out 5c, 10c, 20c, and 50c and most jewellery - really just leaves bottle caps to contend with. That's fine for really junky parks (depending on what you are looking for of course), but would rather run a lot less discrimination, and just put up with digging a few junk targets.

In cleaner areas, it will be interesting to see what depth is achievable running all-metal, I suspect it will go rather deep from intial impressions.

Would also just stick to around 30-40 for the beach, not much point on going mad with discrimination there.

As you mention, the recovery time is lightning quick, so you can get away with a reasonably fast swing speed.

I have used the NEL Sharpshooter on the Vaquero, it had pretty impressive depth for the size of coil, and very good for target separation, though I think the missus would kill me if I bought another detector related item at the moment . :D

The G2 is fast and it has dual processors.

Is it me or is it due to the fast processors that the same rated KHZ detectors in the 90's did not run as deep as for example the G2?

Carl Moreland from whites has joined Fisher and along with Dave Johnson and a few others already there is going to make a very
interesting team. Its going to be interesting to see what Fisher introduce in the coming 6-18 months. Many are hoping an updated
digital multi frequency cz3d is on the cards.

The v3i is very fast at processing targets but I still need to get a good grasp around it. I read one user has dug a quarter at 14".

Can provide the link if needed. The key here with these new machines is the past processors that are being used, I think
anyway.

I can still here mine AOK through the tape.
Goldpick said:
silver said:
Can you not put gaffa tape over the speaker hole, that's what I have done with the propointer and you don't get sand in it and you can wash it under the tap without worrying about water getting into it ?
Goldpick said:

I could, but then it sort of defeats the purpose of having a speaker - the Pro-find was particularly bad in that respect due to not having very prominent vibration, if going on that alone. Need someone to invent a bluetooth pinpointer with a wireless remote speaker, then you could make it truly waterproof. ;)

I've got garrett pin pointer & minelab my brother had garrett & now whites. Both my brother & I prefer the minelab. The whites isn't as good as garrett or Minelab in our opinion. not much difference between Minelab & Garrett but his Garrett stopped working after about 15 months & mine is starting to play up now also, it is about 2 years old now.
Anyway back to topic & some nice finds people. :)

I think regardless of brand, if your give your pinpointer a good workout, they always seem to end up with some sort of operational issue eventually. My first Pro-find lasted about a year before being replaced under warranty. What I do like about the Pro-find though is the fact that it is PI friendly, no effect at all on my infinium. Maybe we will see an improved version in the future. :)

Wolfau said:
Goldpick said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408419830_img_20140819_130449.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408419857_img_20140819_130528.jpg

I have 2 of those. Nothing beats this..

http://predatortools.com/images/shovels/lrg/58LT.jpg

Get in and get out quick is the motto, rather than smoking a cigar and taking your time with the lesche :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In saying this I have one of these arriving this week to test out.

http://predatortools.com/images/shovels/lrg/31C.jpg

I was considering the Raptor, but couldn't wait for overseas shipping, the Lesche ended up coming from WA. Been watching Dirtfishing on you tube using the raptor, seems to cut a nice plug with the curved blade, the width also allows for decent shoveling of dirt.

It only takes between 5 to 8 business days for stuff to
Arrive from the US.

How is the new pin pointer going?

The pinpointer is going good, certainly can't complain about how well it penetrates into the ground on buried targets.

Here's a few coins from tonight, certainly no cache of coins, but enough to keep me out of mischief. The notable coins were a New Zealand dollar, and a 1913 penny which the bastard Lesche scratched the back of - looks like Zorro left his mark!. :|

1408473854_img_20140820_041415.jpg

1408473876_img_20140820_041444.jpg

1408473904_img_20140820_041506.jpg

Well tonight was a bit of a milestone for me, I honestly thought that I would be digging sinkers all night, but alas, the gods have been kind and delivered my first gold ring! :D :D :D Can't see a hallmark yet, and it looks pretty old and worn, but definitely solid gold all the same, weighing in at 1.39 grams.

Funny thing was, I just threw it in my finds bag not even checking the VDI number thinking it was another silver ring. It rings up as a 11:02 on the Explorer, and 53 to 54 on the G2, but those figures are never going to set in stone due to the size, shape and composition of the ring.

I also stupidly had pull tabs discriminated out for a period of time, so I will have to go back and run over the same two areas to ensure I didn't miss anything. :eek:

1408641799_img_20140822_022959.jpg

1408641831_img_20140822_023052.jpg

1408641858_img_20140822_023150.jpg

1408641883_img_20140822_023307.jpg

nice one- looks like it could be yellow! electrolysis will be able to remove the junk to see a stamp on the inside. its it heavy?

Cheers Decado, was thinking for a while there that gold would would never see the light of day.

That was a bit of a lesson to be learnt on sticking to all-metal vs running any sort of discrimination when searching beaches and waterways, that ring could have been very easily missed. To prove that areas are never completely worked out, there were old detector holes all over the place where I was working - they obviously cherry picked what coins were there, and left the sinkers and ring for me. ;)

Sa_bogan said:
nice one- looks like it could be yellow! electrolysis will be able to remove the junk to see a stamp on the inside. its it heavy?

Thanks Bogan, it is a very small ring and will barely fit on my pinky, so am guessing it may be a toe ring with the open design, as mentioned it weighs in at 1.39 grams - as you can see from the size comparison to the loupe, it's not big at all and neither thick. I've managed to clean it up a bit, but appears any pre-existing hallmark has been long worn off unfortunately. That iron encrustation was a pain to get off, still has a few bits in the pitting.

The VDI, although I mentioned was around 11:02, does jump around a bit up to around 20 for iron and low conductivity figures, they are not the easiest things to clearly identify.

1408671521_img_20140822_110808.jpg

I find a few of them toe rings . More so around rocky areas of the beaches. The gold ones I've found are gold plated copper rings .

Latest posts