Night detecting with the Explorer SE Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All understood on the slow swing Goldpick, I am upgrading from a Sovereign GT to the Explorer so I am used to the perculiarities of multi frequency machines.

I am going out to a local ex WWII site tomorrow to give the machine a baptism of fire and I will be sticking to the factory presets for the time being and moving on to customised settings when I become a little more familiar.

Once again many thanks for the feedback and tips

Regards
Dec

I was looking at getting a second hand sovereign originally, but when this deal came up for a new detector, it was pretty hard to pass up. Hope you find some good stuff at your ww2 site. :)

Goldpick said:
Wolfau said:
Goldpick how does the new machine handle metal beer bottle screw caps?

Does the machine have an ability to id the target by size?

Nice shilling BTW.

Thanks for sharing..

You can discriminate out metal beer bottle caps, but in the process you also risk discriminating out $1 coins and pennies, hence I only have crown caps knocked out, and not the screwcaps.

The way I can ID targets by size is usually by looking at the ferrous/conductivity figures, and then cross check them with the depth reading. If you have a very good conductor with low ferrous reading, and the depth is very shallow, most of the times it a large piece of aluminium junk, get the same figure deep, chances are it is a silver pre-dec, both might read 00:28. Plus you can also check in VCO pinpoint mode to get an idea of the physical size of the target, anything with a broad but high conductivity signal is usually a flattened can or the top section.

That last hunt I did had a lot of smaller aluminium pull tabs and ring pulls due to having jewellery accepted in the discrimination pattern

I think the CTX can actually display the target size, but not 100% sure on that.

Ok then thanks for replying..

Well I missed low tide tonight by a long shot, so ended up having to scour a small gutter further up the beach to find anything worthwhile. Not much really aside from a few decs, silver earing, and a couple pieces of junk jewellery. Probably should have really changed spots, but just couldn't be bothered by that stage. Looking forward to 0.3m tides on the weekend. :)

1407452558_img_20140808_083408.jpg

It was a case of revenge of the lead sinker tonight, pity considering it was a good low tide tonight, but was partly hampered with a bad case of raging toothache which wasn't too pleasant (he says doped out on painkillers). Still, there were enough goodies to keep my mind off things. The upper beach was still being eroded away, so that produced a few coins, and the rocks produced a majority of the sinkers, plus an ornate 925 silver ring and a little gold plated key to finish up on.

Now I know why team Bogan break their scoops, damned hard work prying targets out from under and around the rocks. I've done this area to death, so may look at moving further up the coast to try my luck. ;)

1407603325_img_20140810_020449.jpg

1407603353_img_20140810_020517.jpg

I took the SE Pro out for a small run this afternoon Only my second time out in an area known for it's WWII history. I got a hit, it was faint and deep but totally repeatable and it sounded enouh like silver for me to persevere.

My reward was a well worn but still identifiable 1872 shilling. My oldest find to date.

Really starting to like the Explorer needless to say.

Regards
Dec
1407751344_1.jpg

Decado said:
I took the SE Pro out for a small run this afternoon Only my second time out in an area known for it's WWII history. I got a hit, it was faint and deep but totally repeatable and it sounded enouh like silver for me to persevere.

My reward was a well worn but still identifiable 1872 shilling. My oldest find to date.

Really starting to like the Explorer needless to say.

Regards
Dec
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1409/1407751344_1.jpg

Nice find. How deep was it?

It was about 10 inches down, not edge on but not laying flat either.

Regards
Dec

Decado said:
It was about 10 inches down, not edge on but not laying flat either.

Regards
Dec

Thats deep which gets me thinking maybe the soil layer
Has been altered in some way since most coins i have
Ever found including tokens were no deeper than 6" or so
Inches.

Thanks for replying.

The half penny I found was only a couple of inches down, I had a real hard time finding anything at that site as the EMI was ridiculous, regardless of doing a noise cancel or drop in sensitivity/gain. Am always looking for good targets that register at the bottom of the depth indicator(around 30cm), most shallower targets are nearly always 1c & 2c, or junk.

I have found pennies tokens and other coins and no
Deeper than 6". Things change if the area has been
Flooded though or soil has been topped up.

Most church sites and parks have never had a soil top
Up since day dot.

Its the reason i own the cz3d if i need to go over an
Area where depth is required its my goto machine.

The area was extensively altered during the second world war as it was a training area for 30000 troops.

Mortar range, artillary range, grenade range and all the living areas. There was cinemas, tennis courts and no end of facilities and then after the war it became a forestry area constantly planted and harvested for the next 40 years so yes it's a fair thing to say it may have ended at that depth with a little help.

Also the strata there is almost toally sand.

Regards
Dec

Decado said:
The area was extensively altered during the second world war as it was a training area for 30000 troops.

Mortar range, artillary range, grenade range and all the living areas. There was cinemas, tennis courts and no end of facilities and then after the war it became a forestry area constantly planted and harvested for the next 40 years so yes it's a fair thing to say it may have ended at that depth with a little help.

Also the strata there is almost toally sand.

Regards
Dec

Ok cool. Grab yourself a larger coil. There could be
Deep targets there.

One other thing. Put a $1 coin on the ground and 3"
Away lay a rusty nail and 3" away lay down another
Coin and then lay another rusty nail in a straight line.
Go over all Targets and see if you can get all 4 which
you will find The correct swing speed which is important.

I prefer to hear the iron as i detect thats me though for
Unmasking coins among the nails or metal trash.

Good luck with it.

I headed off to a small park tonight that had slipped my mind for a while, it is regularly detected, and has some great history, so I thought I would try my luck. Aside from an RSL membership badge and a dope pipe, some lovely pre-decs came to the party, but it was tough work picking these out, being heavily masked by iron. They would only register a slight high tone in between the overlaying iron targets, but enough to warrant a dig, and subseqently popped out a 1891 Victoria half penny, 1900 Victoria half penny, 1908 Edwardvs VII Penny, and a 1919 George V penny.

Both the half pennies have amazing detail, and barely any corrosion compared to the pennies, some very nice coins to add to the collection. :)

1407868992_img_20140813_023935.jpg

1407869022_img_20140813_024041.jpg

1407869047_img_20140813_024204.jpg

Some good finds there GP. Especially if it was a well detected area.
I have a feeling I may have went to a park in the hills where you may recently been. Not that I could see any disturbed ground, but more the lack of targets. like zip, it was totally cleaned out. :) .
It okay though I just went to another park and found a few coins there.
I'm off to the central west of NSW next time I'm home so I will have plenty of detecting to do there. I'm thinking of having a look about some old railway stations. hopefully the iron trash is not to bad but I suspect there will be a bit.

Latest posts