Night detecting with the Explorer SE Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coyote said:
Some good finds there GP. Especially if it was a well detected area.
I have a feeling I may have went to a park in the hills where you may recently been. Not that I could see any disturbed ground, but more the lack of targets. like zip, it was totally cleaned out. :) .
It okay though I just went to another park and found a few coins there.
I'm off to the central west of NSW next time I'm home so I will have plenty of detecting to do there. I'm thinking of having a look about some old railway stations. hopefully the iron trash is not to bad but I suspect there will be a bit.

I've done a few hills parks, but not the only guy out there that does the same. I am a creature of habit, so I tend to revisit the same places all the time, looking at new angles to go on for producing finds. It is amazing how much you can squeeze out of the one spot, even after subsequent visits you still find good targets are missed.

Funny thing was last night, on one target I went to dig a plug, only to find someone else had done the same but left the rubbish in the hole - again.:| I was actually told by a couple walking through this park that it was heavily detected, and as a result I probably wouldn't find much, but curiosity always gets the best of me. I'm sure there are many more coins to come from this spot, I like it when the main junk that comes out of the ground are just old beaver tails. :)

I must add that my swing speed to pick these coins up was extremely slow. I find the Explorer seems real good at "seeing" desirable targets under other junk at this speed, with nothing more than a brief sqeak of a highly conductive target to giveaway its location. If I would have been running any discrimination, I would have most likely missed these coins due to nulling over shallower iron junk targets. You would get a low ferrous/high conductor on one swing, and a high ferrous/high conductor on the back swing of the coil. Running in ferrous audio vs conductive made it a lot easier to hear the good non-ferrous targets pop out from all the iron, considering in conductive audio, good and bad targets can sound exactly the same. :)

Well tonight was a night of extremes, I went to the beach but it was sanded in everywhere with just 5c and a couple of sinkers, so had to look elsewhere for a detect. I headed inland to some river frontage with a bit of a beach, and bingo, targets everywhere! I pretty much spent all night there, even had the cops check out my parked car, only to realise I was detecting.

All up, 35 coins, lots of lead, two silver rings and a thin gold plate ring. I think I will be heading back to this spot when the tide is lower, as there should be plenty more targets. :)

1408047405_img_20140815_053854.jpg

1408047595_img_20140815_053923.jpg

Nice Goldpick - $25 and a couple of rings is a good night out! I also see the beaches got sanded in pretty quickly after the last storm... here's hoping another storm is not far away! Mate, you must have been digging all night with the number of targets you got there ... :)

Goldpick said:
I must add that my swing speed to pick these coins up was extremely slow. I find the Explorer seems real good at "seeing" desirable targets under other junk at this speed, with nothing more than a brief sqeak of a highly conductive target to giveaway its location. If I would have been running any discrimination, I would have most likely missed these coins due to nulling over shallower iron junk targets. You would get a low ferrous/high conductor on one swing, and a high ferrous/high conductor on the back swing of the coil. Running in ferrous audio vs conductive made it a lot easier to hear the good non-ferrous targets pop out from all the iron, considering in conductive audio, good and bad targets can sound exactly the same. :)

I know exactly what you mean albeit different machine. I found after some time digging all targets that my tones and id were telling the whole story, higher conductive targets were there and the machine knew it. After swinging it for longer I found just by going a touch slower the good non ferrous target would id right beside a ferrous one, and surprisingly even consistently if the non ferrous target was directly below the ferrous target. If I increased the discrimination for low value targets the high ID target was much harder to get a tone or id on. I have wondered about upscaling of the ID signal when ferrous signals are being detected I've had a couple of coins come out at greater depths than I can detect when they are on their own where the target had a decent peice of steel in close proximity. I've tested this several times removing the ferrous target refilling the hole and the response is usually a faint tone and down scaled ID, where silver now appears as Aly pull tab, and gold appears as rusty haloed object, just into aly ids, and brass and copper fall to lead/gold/screw top range. The oldest methods of dig every(good) target running flat out and no discrimination with a slow swing speed give me the most reliable results.

Paulmarr said:
Nice Goldpick - $25 and a couple of rings is a good night out! I also see the beaches got sanded in pretty quickly after the last storm... here's hoping another storm is not far away! Mate, you must have been digging all night with the number of targets you got there ... :)

Sure was there all night, I wasn't going to stop until all targets were exhausted. Got home to see the missus just waking up! :D

On another note, my Nokta pinpointer bought it last night, managed to get some water through the battery compartment unfortunately. I have pulled it apart to dry out, plus gave a good clean out with isopropyl alcohol, but it is still acting up - I reckon the damage has been done. :(

With the death of one pinpointer comes the valid excuse to buy another one, so have ordered a new Whites Bullseye TRX as a replacement. I will be keen to see how this goes with regards to reliability, especially compared to the Pro-find which I am still not really 100% happy with.

1408099587_img_20140815_201745.jpg

just an idea.
sit it in a container of rice for a few days. it will draw out any moister that is in it. might save it for you.
ive done this with phones and ipods of my daughters with great success. ;)

The rice will most certainly remove the moisture and if it were fresh water immersion I'd be giving it a go... the damage caused by salt water ingress however... You can only try.

I'm starting to think we're connected o/n some wave length GoldPick, first the Explorer SE Pro and now the same pointer I am looking at LOL

Regards
Dec

Goldpick let us know how you go with the pin pointer.
Spoke to Dean from goldsearch about it yesterday and
He told me it was senditive.

I went out tonight for around 3 hours with the v3i.
The grass was wet And had mud over my machine, tools and
pin pointer. Gotta say its an experience in itself using this
new machine.

The positive so far is The ability in Identifying iron.

My pin pointer can get a little eratic. I should be using
The 540. The v is sensitive to small stuff. I have about
8 hours on the machine but still trying to get my head
Around it.

The awesome part is the processing speed between iron
And good targets. Crank it up to suit your swing speed
Or slow it right down.

Found a heap of aluminium screw caps and a few 1c and
2c pieces. Was not expecting much its a small park and
Not a busy one. I started picking up the coins during the
Last 40 min after some tweaking.

I will know when i grasp the new machine when i come
Around full circle if that makes sense.

Keep it up.

Decado said:
The rice will most certainly remove the moisture and if it were fresh water immersion I'd be giving it a go... the damage caused by salt water ingress however... You can only try.

I'm starting to think we're connected o/n some wave length GoldPick, first the Explorer SE Pro and now the same pointer I am looking at LOL

Regards
Dec

Lol, all I am doing is trying to find good reliable gear that does the job without niggling little issues. The Pro-find just give me the sh#ts sometimes, I'm forever cleaning crap out of the speaker holes, and the vibration isn't as pronounced as it should be. The Nokta has served me well, and has been through hell and back, much more reliable than the Pro-find, just not as waterproof. :|

I've heard nothing but good reports on the TRX, so will be interesting to see how it compares to the Profind and Nokta. The design is certainly miles ahead of the competition, the fact that it takes AA batteries as well as 9v is a real plus, plus replaceble casing and also loving the lanyard loop. The missus can inherit the Pro-find, or use the old Whites Bullseye that came with the GMT. ;)

Wolfau said:
Goldpick let us know how you go with the pin pointer.
Spoke to Dean from goldsearch about it yesterday and
He told me it was senditive.

I went out tonight for around 3 hours with the v3i.
The grass was wet And had mud over my machine, tools and
pin pointer. Gotta say its an experience in itself using this
new machine.

The positive so far is The ability in Identifying iron.

My pin pointer can get a little eratic. I should be using
The 540. The v is sensitive to small stuff. I have about
8 hours on the machine but still trying to get my head
Around it.

The awesome part is the processing speed between iron
And good targets. Crank it up to suit your swing speed
Or slow it right down.

Found a heap of aluminium screw caps and a few 1c and
2c pieces. Was not expecting much its a small park and
Not a busy one. I started picking up the coins during the
Last 40 min after some tweaking.

I will know when i grasp the new machine when i come
Around full circle if that makes sense.

Keep it up.

That's the exact reason I bought covers for the Explorer, I've been to a few sites now that have had that sticky clay that manages to coat everything you touch, including filling up the pinpointer speaker holes to the point where you can barely hear it. The Nokta's vibration mode was about twice as strong as the pro-find, so you don't necessarily need audio to pinpoint with it.

Still learning the Explorer too, the more I use it, the more it impresses with its depth and target info. Some holes I dug last night were impressively deep, 2-3 scoops into sticky mud overlain by sand. :)

I bought a large piece of leather and cut that up for
The stem and held it in place with velcro straps.
The machine came with thesaurus covers I think there
called.

Thats how the soil was thick and clay type.

Picked up a bent over tail of a pull tab at around 6"
Which impressed me considering the size of the
Object.

Lots to learn though..

Went for a weekend drive with the missus today, I think it was a bit painful for her as I was busy spotting every second tot lot and park on the way home. ;)

She quickly tried out the Teknetics G2, and was very happy with its easy operation and extremely light weight.

Meanwhile, I popped back to one of the parks that I passed by for a quick hunt, and was pleased to see it gave up a couple of pre-decimals, a crusty 1936 Penny, and probably one of the best condition 1943 Shilling that I have seen. The rest included the usual decimal coinage, a gun cartridge, silver earing, and a recently dropped key. :)

1408211728_img_20140817_031807.jpg

1408211780_img_20140817_031842.jpg

1408211809_img_20140817_031901.jpg

Wasn't screwdriver method, it was dug from a plug about 8" down, the scratches although they look it, are not recent.

Back to the same spot tonight where I had a good run of coins and sinker, pretty much the same story. A few less coins, more sinkers, a few shotgun cartridges, copper, brass, and an unexpected 1952 threepence. Pretty much cleaned out this spot no unless I get waist deep in water, so will hopefully find a similar spot nearby for another night - I thought $40 from the one spot was pretty good going. :)

The White TRX got its first run, and performed very well, no problems finding the switch, the speaker hole got a bit of sand in it, but was very easy to clea once home. Sensitivity on the grass to buried targets is excellent, just have to remember that the detection area is on the tip only, and not on the actual pinpointer shaft. As mentioned, the LED isn't the greatest, but acceptable enough to spot coins in the hole.

Also gave the Teknetics G2 a short run tonight, and was pretty impressed with its performance on wet sand, seemed to balance out quite nicely, and run stable. The discrimination is also very good, with everything up to pull tabs knocked out, it managed to clearly pick a 1c coin out of a hole with two other targets in it, with one of them being a modern pull tab. Both the newer pictured $2 coin and coat of arms button were also picked out from wet sand between some rocks with the G2.

1408393507_img_20140819_053612.jpg

1408393533_img_20140819_053635.jpg

Can you not put gaffa tape over the speaker hole, that's what I have done with the propointer and you don't get sand in it and you can wash it under the tap without worrying about water getting into it ?
Goldpick said:
Back to the same spot tonight where I had a good run of coins and sinker, pretty much the same story. A few less coins, more sinkers, a few shotgun cartridges, copper, brass, and an unexpected 1952 threepence. Pretty much cleaned out this spot no unless I get waist deep in water, so will hopefully find a similar spot nearby for another night - I thought $40 from the one spot was pretty good going. :)

The White TRX got its first run, and performed very well, no problems finding the switch, the speaker hole got a bit of sand in it, but was very easy to clea once home. Sensitivity on the grass to buried targets is excellent, just have to remember that the detection area is on the tip only, and not on the actual pinpointer shaft. As mentioned, the LED isn't the greatest, but acceptable enough to spot coins in the hole.

Also gave the Teknetics G2 a short run tonight, and was pretty impressed with its performance on wet sand, seemed to balance out quite nicely, and run stable. The discrimination is also very good, with everything up to pull tabs knocked out, it managed to clearly pick a 1c coin out of a hole with two other targets in it, with one of them being a modern pull tab. Both the newer pictured $2 coin and coat of arms button were also picked out from wet sand between some rocks with the G2.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408393507_img_20140819_053612.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408393533_img_20140819_053635.jpg

Goldpick said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408393507_img_20140819_053612.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1408393533_img_20140819_053635.jpg

Nice finds. The G2 is popular in the USA.

Its fast at processing good targets in iron. You would of
Noticed the speed for sure :D :D :D

Is used by button hunters as well. You need to change
Coils though. I found the nel sharpshooter best dealing
With junk. Its cousin the omega 8000 is a very impressive
Coin detector for around $850 and a bargain on the used
Market.

Do some tests with it in reference to swing speed. You will
Be surprised how fast you can swing it when detecting a
Good target next to iron.

How high did you run the discriminator? Around 30 was
Good because the discriminator is not marked with junk
id.

The only reason i sold the G2 was to Help with the purchase
of the v3i in which i needed more functionality.

I found my first ever shilling as well....

Latest posts