Night detecting with the Explorer SE Pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so awesome hunt tonight, found a spot that was BB heaven (or hell). :mad: Don't think I have ever detected an area with such a concentration of BB's before, I could have gone on all night digging them up, but it started to wear a bit thin after a while. Maybe someone had a wedding and used BB's as confetti back in the day, who knows. :p

Only one pre-dec, a 1944 penny, and the ring is just just a junker. The three 50c, two 20c and one 10c were all in a spill, you can see the mark on the bottom 50c where the 10c was stuck to it.

Time to move onto an older area, minus the pesky BB's! :|

1436375594_img_20150709_022502.jpg

Yeah the BB's were giving me hell yesterday too, these FBS detectors really love them and give a great signal on them right in the silver range.

49 coins is good though,... when everyone of them would have sounded like either a silver or in with a chance of being something gold,... still leaves you having felt all those little buzzes while on the hunt.

They give such a good signal you can't not dig them, each one has every chance of being a silver I agree totally. I was getting a bit down yesterday digging so many of them and then after 3 hours got the 2 rings and the sixpence in about 5 minutes of each other. Weird how it works some days.

Well sadly it's time to farewell the Explorer SE Pro from active duty. On the upside, I was visiting my sister in Adelaide, and popped into Miners Den to grab some spares where I was offered a great deal on a demo Etrac that I simply couldn't pass up (right place at the right time).

As a consequence of the Etrac and XP Deus purchases, the other half has insisted that a few of my detectors will have to go, so they should be up for grabs in the appropriate section later in the week once I've had the chance to clean and dismantle everything. :( :D

1436618715_img_20150711_220753.jpg

1436618738_img_20150711_220721.jpg

Ooooh very nice GP, well done on the purchase, you're going to love it. Having a Deus and Etrac you won't need another detector anyway. :) i set up a few patterns in Barney's yesterday, a gold program but I need more jewellery to sample. Sterling silver pattern was easy to set up as it all mostly rings up the same co ordinates for silver coins and silver rings and a goldies pattern for 1 and 2 doller coins which all pretty much sound and give the same co ords too.

Only thing that upset me was my gold half Soveriegn coin gives the same co ords as a square pulltab........ :(

....and hence why I don't see myself finding sovereigns any time soon in pull tab laden parks, old house sites might be a different matter though. I have got a club hunt coming up later in the week, so it will be a good chance to give the Etrac a run, weather conditions are not exactly favourable for detecting at the moment.

Goldpick said:
....and hence why I don't see myself finding sovereigns any time soon in pull tab laden parks, old house sites might be a different matter though. I have got a club hunt coming up later in the week, so it will be a good chance to give the Etrac a run, weather conditions are not exactly favourable for detecting at the moment.

Not the best weather at all mate, hopefully it clears up soon, I'll hopefully get a few hours in tomorrow morning at the park I did on Friday morning.

I'm going to start digging more pulltabs in case of gold rings but will clean up the goldies and silvers first hopefully. I wish those square modern pulltabs were never invented, wish they still had the cans with 2 holes, made much more sense to me.

Those cans with two holes, totally forgot about them. When I drank softdrink, I would often rip off the pull tab, but put it in the can. I dunno why people drop them on the ground. The blue colored pull tabs are worse, they seem to give quite a nice high tone. Pull tabs are evil, nuff said.

Ramjet said:
It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Etrac vs Deus. :)

Yes it will be interesting, I am expecting that they will be two completely different detectors in performance (as they are in function), and as a result will be used for specific areas that cater to their strengths - one for deep searching in relatively clean ground, and the other for the more iron infested sites that bother the FBS detectors at times with masking of some good targets. Time will tell I guess. :)

Latest posts