Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try putting the DD coil on and switching it into cancel mode, this will cancel our any interference. Only way to use it severe EMI areas.

Thanks Heatho great point, this should sort my wobble out. It's funny though because my original backyard tests were to find the best settings for maximum target depth and this will no doubt sort out my wobble but will probably comprimise my depth! I guess the only way is to go to goldfields and do your testing there?

Best setting for maximum depth depends heavily on the type of soil, the type of target and the size of target - if only it were that easy!

Back in the late 1990's there was some talk about the latest and more expensive Minelab dectors being able to detect one metre below the surface. Has this been achieved yet with the GPX 5000? What size would the target need to be to be able to detect down that far should it be possible?

Has Minelab done tests that give its detecting capability? ie what depth for what size.

Sorry to ask these questions but I have not been following detecting for some years. I used to buy the Gold and Treasure magazine and my wife would say, about the photograph on the front cover, that it was probably the same nugget photographed at a different angle, but then again she can be a "glass half empty person" at times.

spoke to dave from minersden bendigo and he was saying he dug a meter and a half hole chasing a target that ended up being a pick head from an old digging.

Mine detects a mobile phone tower half a k away, or a thunderstorm 200km away.... How longs a piece of string lol

Detection depth is as much a machine limit as a function of target size/density/composition. A car bonnet would be detected deeper than a large piece of flyscreen mesh.

Even that occasional end of swing woo you get, that is the machine detecting the change in direction of the coils magnetic field in relation to the EARTHS magnetic field!

All else being equal a 5000 should detect a 100oz piece at the same depth as a SD2200 would, but the 5000 will detect a 0.1g piece a lot deeper than a 2200 would.

Gday Andre, we bit the bullet and got ours last Sept found gold first weekend out near Castlemaine .2g another 3 similar bits in the whipstick the next time using fp settings and dd coil have met others in the bush and did the free mine lab course have played with settings and got the mono on and still getting nice bits, biggest ones 7.9g and still 5.7g prob have about 1/2oz now so it's not a quick get rich machine for us but havin fun trying, oh and by the way hubby does beaches and playgrounds with it and has found more than enough coins to buy a pinpointer. You wont regret it. :)

Chrish said:
Thanks Heatho great point, this should sort my wobble out. It's funny though because my original backyard tests were to find the best settings for maximum target depth and this will no doubt sort out my wobble but will probably comprimise my depth! I guess the only way is to go to goldfields and do your testing there?

No worries, cancel will reduce the depth, maximum depth is pretty deep, I've dug coins at the beach at least 80cm down maybe deeper with the 11inch DD, the 11 inch monos go even deeper. :)

Hello,

I have detected many bits well less that .1 of a gram @ 200mm and more in depth, smacked a 2 bob coin @ Golden beach well into the metre mark.

problem solved,,,,,, the yellow to orange coloured clay is mentioned in the gpx500 manual, very mineralised and very responsive in my experience,, hence the total confusion. the other unknown interference in now realised, all just a new experience for a newbie !!!!!

ok so i have a brand new gpx5000 and seen happy with it, but if i touch to coil lead going into the control box at the joint it goes crazy.
also i cant seem to ground balance it too well, momo or dd makes no difference.
so here is a short video shot with my iphone and what do you think,is it running ok ?

Sounds good BKM, the noise you heard was EMI from nearby.
Try raising and lowering your coil a couple of inches to see if you can hear a different pitch in your threshold if I changes you need to ground balance.
GPX 5000 TIP - When first starting up your detector, start off using a ground balance on tracking to get a good ground balance do this a couple of times until you are happy. This will get you 95% of the way, then while still on tracking with your coil 1" off the ground press your green button listen for the "beep" then quickly flick the switch over to fixed (within half a second), this will "fine tune" it to it's perfect threshold. Ground balance again this time in fixed to get the optimal ground balance out of your machine. Raise and lower the coil to listen to the threshold if it changes then go back and repeat the previous steps until you hear no change in threshold. When happy remain in fixed and ground balance as required.
Good luck with the nugget hunting.

Looks like you have the coil cable looped over the coil. Pull the cable up tighter so that your not detecting it. The way you have the cable it will sound of every time you move it and will make it impossible to ground balance.

DD

1382561260_image.jpg

Treasure!
We have been out on the beach about 4 or 5 times......this is the stuff we are keeping.....you should see what's in the trash bin, lol!
Thanks for info Heatho....it worked a treat!

So I found out today that a friend from work lives on a property that she is renting and has told me a rumor that she heard from the owner that the original owner of the house didn't use a bank and hid all of his money in the yard somewhere (may also be gold aswell). The block is 3.5 acres on a steep hill with no houses behind it.

What would be the best settings for my gpx 5000 and shld I use a mono or DD coil?

Cheers

Adam

Latest posts