Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every one makes some good points about their purchases. Like every hobby, some degree of success is needed to continue on. It is not much fun walking around for years in dry barren hills in the heat for just the walk, i can pick better places than that for that purpose.

I think what Leah's mudpie is ultimately asking is, if he purchases a GPX5000 and learns how to operate and set it up correctly would he have success?

I think success in this hobby has a large bearing on continuing the hobby especially if you have a family. The metal detector in its self is a selfish tool, unlike panning, sluicing etc. The kids can have a swim whilst you carry out your activity and the family are more likely to join in and help. If your single then no problem, but if you have a partner then they would like to see some results for the thousands of dollars you paid out.

I am not trying to scare any one off purchasing a good detector like the GPX5000, but you all have to admit that there are lots of factors that come into that purchase. 4WD, Quad bike, trailer, camping gear, genset etc, etc, some thing has to give in most peoples budget, which one? :)

Leah's Mudpie said:
Hey Guys, just wondering if those who have forked out 6.5k for this model have made their money back in a resonable time?

Have you found enough gold nuggets to make it a worthwhile investment?

Depends on where and how often you plan on using it. I paid of my 5k in 4 weeks in WA. There's is still plenty of gold over here and the east if your prepared to do the hard yards. If you only go out on the occasional weekend for fun then it will take a it longer but as the other guys said still a lot cheaper than a boat.

DD

I agree with Diggerdude! You've got to get out and have a go! If your detector sits in the cupboard and never sees the light of day, you can't expect to find anything. Whether it's searching for nuggets or looking for coins and other valuables, sometimes it's not how much you find but rather the places you explore and the people you meet that's of real value!

Scoopa said:
I agree with Diggerdude! You've got to get out and have a go! If your detector sits in the cupboard and never sees the light of day, you can't expect to find anything. Whether it's searching for nuggets or looking for coins and other valuables, sometimes it's not how much you find but rather the places you explore and the people you meet that's of real value!

And don't forget about the research and the amazing things you find out about the history of our wonderful country and it's people.

That's GOLD!

I didn't mention this before, but my mate wants to sell me his GPX5000. Its 2 yrs old and in excellent condition. He is allowing me to pay it off to him over 12 months with a up front deposit. I haven't made the decision to buy it off him yet. I have the detector at my place and have use of it up until Christmas. He is offering a very reasonable price with accessories. Well like Leah's mudpie, i am tossing and turning over forking out the money. I have to admit that it does give me the best chance of finding gold, providing correct operation, studying locations etc. and being in nuggety country. The re-sale value of the Minelab is good and for the price that i will get it for i should be able to re-coup my investment if in the advent that i quit metal detecting. Decisions, decisions, decisions, so what do you blokes think? :)

Ha ha :) the minister for finance doesn't no about it, yet. :) I laugh at myself sometimes, because my job involves a lot of sales work and i find my self selling the GPX5000 to myself. That's one for the psychologists, "What did you say your problem was Roscoe"? "I find myself selling myself expensive prospecting equipment" :D

Well said Roscoe,

Yes panning is great and the whole family can join in, as for for all the other gear it does add up.

But for me and the wife we only stay at home when the lawns need mowing thats it.

As for 6 grand on a 5k, if you have money spend it but dont expect to get rich but expect to have fun trying.

Or grab some pans, 3 will cost about 90 bucks (garret super sluice 14") some other bits and you can still have a ball.

Hi guys well the day has come to buy that GPX 5000 Xmas personal present. The 4500 I had lined up with a friend had to be returned as he asked for it back :)

Anyway I have a question about External speakers. I see lots of hunter using the Rooster booster so i asked few why cant you just use the normal external speaker which they sell for around $30.00.

The answer was; "I think bit strange". Is it true that with the Rooster booster you can have the detector volume down around setting 2 so there is more power for detecting???

If you don't have a booster you need around setting 9 I believe.

Can someone clarify this one.

I have good hearing so thats not an issue here.

Zakman

As many of you know of my previous post Im ver new to this wonderful hobby and my main hunting area is around Kyneton, Castlemaine, Fryer Town, Dunolly areas. As Im just starting off with my GPX 5000 I don't want to get overly confused with coils.

All of these areas have quite high in mineralization the area in Dunolly that I plan to detect in is mainly bedrock and pipe clay, the areas around Kyneton are more farm land which normally has around 6 - 8 inch inches of fertile top soil. Can someone familiar with these area and types of soil run me though the best coils for each area, as a general reference.

I know the control settings will be a long term learning process but i don't have the spare cash to waste buying lots of coils to start with.

Thanks guys .

The Zakman

Have you watched the Jonathon Porter DVD's? If you can get hold of all of them they are well worth the watch. In the 5000 dvd he basically says there is no longer a need for DD - I kinda disagree with him as I've found patches up at Hanging Rock that are insane hot and the DD runs sweet but then I don't have the years of professional experience JP has.

I would seriously look at spending the coil money ($200) on a training day with Stoppsy - http://www.aussiegoldprospector.com/
If I was in a location where I could get a training day then I would in a flash. Stoppsy will also show you a range of NF coils and give you training on how to use different coils. The stock 11" coil will still find plenty of gold on the open fields you get in Vic.

I've just gone through the process of buying a new coil and was tossing up between the Nugget Finder 8x6 and 12x7 and the Minelab 8" and ended up buying the 8" mono, the Minelab coil is significantly cheaper than the Nugget Finder offerings AND I couldn't find a negative review of the coil. The Minelab is $235, the NF8x6 is $295 and the 12x7 is $320.

I'd stick to the 11" mono that comes with the 5000 for a bit until you can work out what sort of detecting you will be doing and what your specific needs will be. The first coil I bought was a Coiltek Joey 10x5 and I got it specifically for poking into cracks in the bedrock in the rainforest lined creeks around Coffs Harbour.

I use a $20 speaker I bought at Jaycar. I don't notice an increase in battery consumption but I also can't detect longer than 4 hours so it doesn't matter that much.

BUT I usually use ear buds as the bush noise will overpower a speaker fairly quickly I've found. The speaker stays on my backpack permanently so I can swap between them if needed though.

I don't agree with the Detector volume down around 2 so more detecting power... The detecting power comes from the RX Gain and combination of the stabiliser, threshold and signal peak. Target Volume does change how loud the detected signal is but on the speaker and earbuds I leave mine at around 9-10

Ben thank.

That great Info Ive sourced a Jonathan Porter DVD and will look for more the Training is lined up sometime in Jan unfortunately that seems a long way a way but I will be out there working things out for my self as well.
Thks Zakman

Thanks Ben,

Yes i didn't think the power comment was correct.

Good hunting .

Zakman

Best to get familiar with the machine before training anyway - at least then you'll have an idea what the training is talking about and how it relates.

I done the training day with stoppsy and now i'm finding gold i travelled 10 hours to do it and it was the best 200 dollars i ever spent.

Thanks guys yes already
Emailed him he seems a nice guy..
I'm still confused about coils seriously there seems to be so much
Info
Elipitical round mono 6inch to 24 inch.
Nugget finder with litz wire over coilteck.
I can actually buy the minelab coils at a pretty good discount.

God help me.

Still need more post here guys

Zakman

Mostly I let the terrain decide which coil to use, if you're poking around in scrub then I'd use a smaller or eliptical coil, wider more open places would usually use a bigger round coil. A lot of other stuff to consider too but the wrong coil in the wrong terrain will really slow you down.

Just stick with the standard 11" mono, it is a good coil, and learn your machine, watch the DVD's and all will fall into place.
BTW, all minelab coils use Litz wire, have done since birth.

1385247246_litz.jpg

Thanks this is good info.
Didn't know about the litz.
Interesting that the coilteck works so well but I believe
their not litz wire.

Zakman

Latest posts