Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for your answers to my question, I contacted Minelab today and sent the control box for a check up and tune up any.
I'll keep you informed of the results when I get back the metal detector to see if there are any differences.
Cheers
Goldquest

Hi Littleazza, You are buying the best metal detector for gold on the market, remember the secret is low and slow, be patient, persistent and do not despair if you do not find gold the first few outing, because the results will come, and the filing is fantastic.
Cheers
Goldquest

G'day Pete ...cranked the gain up the other day to nearly max and got some large bits down pretty deep with the larger N.F coil...wish all the ground was that quiet.... :)

Good Day . Thanks for the settings for the 5000,I am sure they will be very helpful.Any chance of coming on one of your weekend trips.I am very new to prospecting and need some general guidence ect. If you or someone you know is interested in helping out please contact me at [email removed for privacy reasons]. Thanks for now, Rossee.

Gedday again Wal,
Ah, the 5000, one of my favorite topics .. Good to see that you're not to shy with that gain setting mate! .. I won't go into rave mode at this moment, but to anyone who is new to the machine, or otherwise, .. Read the manual, and then read it again ... and when you read the second time, read it once more! .. The Minelab web site is also a great resource for everybody .. Log on to the site .. Go to 'Community! .. Then go to 'Treasure Talk' .. Type GPX 5000 into the search area there and you will get a stack valuable info and detail going nearly 3 years.

And as you say Wal .. Technique! .. Low and slow folks .. Low and slow ..

Good Luck to all from The Digger

G'day Palmer....High Gain can be a great thing if your in Quiet country like Tuena...Damn different story if your in Moliagal in the GT (vic)...That's why an understanding of the machine in different mineralization is so important...and unfortunately that only comes with practice. One setting will never work in all scenarios like many people think.... :)

rossee said:
Good Day . Thanks for the settings for the 5000,I am sure they will be very helpful.Any chance of coming on one of your weekend trips.I am very new to prospecting and need some general guidence ect. If you or someone you know is interested in helping out please contact me at [email removed for privacy reasons]. Thanks for now, Rossee.

Hi Rossee, We are at Tuena very regularly and your more than welcome to join us on some of our swings. :) We can go through the different settings with you and get the machine running in quiet mode till you gain some experience and then show you how to crank it up a bit for certain areas. Once you have reached 10 posts PM me and i can advise you further and organize a trip. Cheers Wal.

1366443711_wals.jpg

Just a few little "Nugs" from our last trip to New Bendigo Diggings. Compliments of the GPX 5000. Size range from just under a gram to 4 grams....Cheers, Wal :)

Many thanks Wal for sharing your thoughts on GPX5000 settings.

Would you be able to share your thoughts/experience on coils for the 5000.
I am using the Minelab 11'' Mono but am toying with buying a NF coil - many people seem to swear by NF coils.
From the above photo you seem to be using the Coiltek Goldstalker.

regards
Jed

Hi Jed...I run 2 ML, 2NF and the 14x9 CT ....they are all great with the CT Blitz a personal fav in wet ground areas. I detect a lot of creek beds and concentrate on underwater targets. The Blitz seems to have a slight advantage in saturated ground. Remember none of the coils are waterproof. Don't under estimate the ML 11" mono as in my opinion It's probably the best coil of this size out there.

When it comes to bedrock crevicing I recon it's hard to go past the NF 8x6 Litz. For general ground cover I mainly use the NF 17x11 Advantage and it's amazing just how small a piece you can dig with this. At the end of the day if you ask 3 different operators you will prob get 3 different opinions. The above work very well and consistently for me. Hope this helps Jed...Cheers Wal.

Many thanks Wal for this advice.
Plenty for me to think about before my next coil purchase :lol:
Cheers
Jed

hello all fellow prospecters-detectorists, i just want to share a recent experience i had in central north queensland, rockhampton area, i was working a bed of a washout run-creek and kept on getting lil whispers of noise, thinking this was ground noise i kept on working -clanking around exposed rocks here there and every-where ,,trying to maintain a good sweep at the same time lol,, any how always keeping in mind how mineralised the soils are up that way, i tried a couple of different settings on the more obvious signals, in confusion i started to dig a few of the signals, well 30 mins later on the spot i decided to hit,, i still had a nice soft signal that was not changing that much, dig-dig-dig sweatty work up that way, all of a sudden i was scrapping the whole out and a huge white stripe appeared in the dirt- clay bright yellow to orange clay similar to that of a rust stain from a burried piece of fencing wire or nail ect, as i was sweeping around what was out of the whole the detecter was picking up on the concentrated magnesium??? a lil while after this was happening i had sirens in my head set,so had to take them off my ears and turn off machine,,, after this i moved out of the creek ,,, up on flat land 20 mtrs from edge of creek and was sweeping around an exposed rock cap of sum sort,,, alot of red multi coloured quartz in the area, was digging signals again hmmmmm seemed to be more mineralisation, switched over a couple of times and yes there was a change in response, switched back kept sweeping and all of a sudden i had a low tone that was getting louder in my ears and louder, i was movingthe coil up off the ground and back down , same thing, all of a sudden the niose took a huge upward turn to a scream no matter where i put the coil, i had to remove my headset real quick and reach arround for the off switch,,, does magnesium react with detectors ? i am also worried about the 5000 i bought, could it need a double cheking from minelab?

aplogies for my scatter of words, am on my L plates, and will type a flowing paragraph eventually, thank you all for your patients :|

Not much makes sense here Rainbow. :( I think your settings must be way off, as i haven't found any ground in Australia that does that to the 5000. :/ Put your machine into factory presets and try again on your next trip. If you have the same problem on presets then a trip to Minelab may be in order...Cheers Wal. :/

"oh sorry nugget" and every-one els who tried to read my post,,,,, there was "not" a piece of metal in the ground ,,, the white line in the dirt im guessing could be magnesium powder maybe? i was digging in heavy clay, yellow to orange in colour?" thanks wal will do asap", i am heading out sumtime this week to majors or mongalowe so hopefully i will get a full day in :)

I have a GPX 5000 and have been using the 11" mono coil supplied, just wondering in what situation I should be using the DD coil, the areas I have been working have a fair bit of what I believe to be iron stone. what are the advantages and disadvantages between these two coils, and do the DD's find gold at depth

cheers lab

Latest posts