Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all IM getting my first detector and would love some tip on how to set it up what are others doing how have you found them any info you think will help someone just starting out not just to help me but others to come that will also benefit from this info

Hi Littleazza, when you go out into the bush, air test your machine first. you may look like a dick doing this, but believe me it does need to be done. turn on machine and press the black button next to the threshold. The machine will beep and go thru its automatic frequency search.
move around in 360 degrees with machine facing up in the air, this will detect the most crapiest area and will bark and whoop as u move around. you are finding the most noisiest area, then this happens for 60 seconds, then it will beep 3 times, then put coil just off the ground and press the quick traks button on your handle and pump coil three times, just off the ground, then on the last pump, place coil on ground and hold there for a couple of seconds.
your threshold should be around 12-1 o'clock and you should hear a slight whirring noise, and that's all
now on the front i have the following
GB; Fixed
Coil RX; DD or Mono in your case it will be mono
Soil; Enhance
Search Mode; General
Threshold 12 - 1 O'clock
Menu settings on other end of machine
RX gain i set to between 10-13 factory setting is 10
motion slow
audio normal or deep
stabilizer 10 to 8
special fine gold
To get Fine Gold working (more sensitive timing than Enhance) you need to select special on the front end cap under Soil Timings).
Tone; I use 63
GB Speed; Medium (only has an impact after the forced GB which lasts 3 to 5 seconds after triggering the Quick Trak button)
Response; Normal
If you are gonna use head phones
volume 12
target 8
Fine Gold, Enhance and Sens Smooth are what is known as a "Smooth Class" of timings, these three timings allow the use of a monoloop coil in heavily mineralised areas, Sens Smooth is the least sensitive to small targets of the three with Fine Gold being the most sensitive.:)

Look some people don't air test all the time, but we do, when we go out when starting it up. If it becomes chatty, over hot ground, then do the air test again or go to settings and say for example yr frequency is 220, then go up one or one down.
Your machine is that smart, you can store settings for 3 lots. say you are over near us at whipstick, or near your place. but see how you go, as if you fiddle too much, you will miss the gold.
Also don't put it on iron discrimination. make sure that is off on the machine.
Hope this will help you out
Cheers
Lynnie (Garrett Girl)

SEARCH MODE/Deep
SOIL TIMINGS/Special
COIL/Mono
GROUND BALANCE/Fixed

BACKLIGHT: 2
VOLUME LIMIT: 10
GB TYPE: General
SPECIAL: Fine Gold
MANUAL TUNE: ???
AUDIO TYPE: Deep
MOTION: Slow
RX GAIN: 11
AUDIO: Deep
AUDIO TONE: 38
STABILIZER: 10
SIGNAL: 20
TARGET VOLUME: 16
RESPONSE: Normal
TRACKING SPEED: Slow
IRON REJECT: Off

I have used these settings on the Hill End, Stuart Town and Burrendong goldfields and they work a treat. The GPX was nice and quite so try these out if your having trouble getting your machine to quiten down. Dont forget to ground balance :D I normally dont share secrets like these but I thought, Awww what the heck, you are all lovely people :lol: A friend of mine in Victoria tried the same settings over hot ground down there and they worked there as well.

SEARCH MODE/Deep
SOIL TIMINGS/Special
COIL/Mono
GROUND BALANCE/Fixed

BACKLIGHT: 2
VOLUME LIMIT: 10
GB TYPE: General
SPECIAL: Fine Gold
MANUAL TUNE: ???
AUDIO TYPE: Deep
MOTION: Slow
RX GAIN: 11
AUDIO: Deep
AUDIO TONE: 38
STABILIZER: 10
SIGNAL: 20
TARGET VOLUME: 16
RESPONSE: Normal
TRACKING SPEED: Slow
IRON REJECT: Off

so i went out for a look, found 3 little pieces within 1m of eachother,
tried to work what i thought might be a patch but being a rookie i dont know what to look for,
if anyone experienced is willing to teach me im more than happy to show you where i found them and see if we can find more.
ive read tons on info on paper but actually being there is totaly different, trying to learn the lie of the land so long ago.
im just guessing. frustrating and exciting at the same time. like everyone else i have a million questions to ask if anyone is willing to answer.

3 little pieces isn't too bad for just having a look 8)

Whereabouts are you from tagalt? Add your location in your profile as I'm sure someone from your area wouldn't mind teaching you their methods, especially if your already finding gold there.

thanks guys, haha i was there all day dug a million signals till i found the little patch, i live close enough to the triangle but am willing to go anywhere to learn.
however i found this gold in heathcote

Welcome tagalt just remember it is three million swings per gram on the goldfields lol or sometimes it feels like it
ask the important questions first and research as much as possible
first question is where does gold come from and what are the indicators
second question is what are the different types of gold and where do they occur
study up those 2 first

thanks for the help guys, will go over it again with my deep coil, not really sure on the detector setup for the deep coil.
any suggestions?

That's a pretty serious detector for a beginner :eek:

You should be able to find someone offering training in your area.

Checkout www.goldprospectingaustralia.com/page8.htm. Although it will cost you money, I'm pretty sure the skills and knowledge learnt will make it a worth while investment.

yeah its my old mans detector, looking at getting my own though, just cant afford it at the moment, at least till i find more gold haha. i noticed it comes with training from minelab, so ill have to do that.

the old man has done some training but we are both unsure what were doing,
have a commander 15" elipitical that i want to try for deeper nuggets on that patch but neither of us are confident on the setup.

Latest posts