Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i've decided (convinced the wife) that i'm going to purchase a minelab gpx 5000.
Are there any better packages than the miners den pro pack out there?

No there isnt... I bought the GPX5000 Pro pack a few months ago from Miners Den Sydney, very good value.

Detect a Den are worth a call. ;) Got some great deals on the 5000 and usually throw in more extras than most. They also give PA forum members an added discount. Their number's in the trade section at the bottom of the main page.

There are plenty for sale on eBay that still have warranty , ask to see a copy of the purchase receipt to avoid the fakes that pop up sometimes

You could save a couple of grand if that suits you

Hi HeadsUp, I did consider Ebay but i figure if im going to make the investment i might as well buy brand new, that way im 100% certain of the history.
Cheers :)

Average Joe said:
Hi HeadsUp, I did consider Ebay but i figure if im going to make the investment i might as well buy brand new, that way im 100% certain of the history.
Cheers :)

Good call.

Hi

I just purchased a new 4800
Pro swing harness
Speaker to suit B&Z booster
Control box cover
14X9 nugget finder coil
Over night delivery

Miners den quote $5,800.00
Couple of others $5,700.00

CITY GOLD DETECTING AT CHARTERS TOWERS WAS $5,200.00 PETER WAS GREAT TO DEAL WITH free delivery

Give him a try
K-M :)

Just a thing to consider to any members who are interested in purchasing a new Minelab, although price may be an factor to consider but any new machine purchased thru the Miners Den network will make you eligible for a training session if required. This to me would be more valuable than a few dollars saved as you will be brought up to speed with using your machine. Understanding how to use your machine will Definately find you more than you saved on initial purchase.
Just some food for thought.
Regards Black Al.

Black Al said:
Just a thing to consider to any members who are interested in purchasing a new Minelab, although price may be an factor to consider but any new machine purchased thru the Miners Den network will make you eligible for a training session if required. This to me would be more valuable than a few dollars saved as you will be brought up to speed with using your machine. Understanding how to use your machine will Definately find you more than you saved on initial purchase.
Regards Black Al.

the minelab training day i did involved 4 hours drive each way and featured a massive 45 minutes of "training" where we were taught about 3 % of the functions on a GPX

i dont know of anyone on that course who didnt lodge a complaint with minelab over it.

i would lean more towards doing a training day with some of our members from the golden triangle region ( or a guy who recently bought a shop in the mudgee region)

HeadsUp said:
Black Al said:
Regards Black Al.

the minelab training day i did involved 4 hours drive each way and featured a massive 45 minutes of "training" where we were taught about 3 % of the functions on a GPX

i dont know of anyone on that course who didnt lodge a complaint with minelab over it.

i would lean more towards doing a training day with some of our members from the golden triangle region ( or a guy who recently bought a shop in the mudgee region)

That's a shame what you went thru! These days I do the training out in Wattle Flat or Hill End, the GPX course I train goes for 6 hours and everyone gets personal training once we go thru the features, functions and settings. A few sessions have gone passed the six hour mark to those who needed it, and several people have walked away with their first gold. It's a shame you had a bad experince, but these days I do my best to help out the new starters.
At the end of the day for those who are buying a new machine, choose carefully and I would only use a certified Minelab dealer.
Hope this post clears the waters.
Regards Black Al.

Black Al said:
Regards Black Al.

"Training session " is offered by "All" certified Minelab agents who sell a GPX, and not limited to Miners Den. ;)

True
For me and hubby we each hired a 5000 for a full day had 45 minute training with it and then was on our own, for the rest of the day we both loved it so hubby bought a new 5000 through the same place he had half a day training the the next day we were taken to a spot and spent the day with the seller detecting.

So when I got my 4800 I was already had some knowledge I still have my training day available to me but I'm some 1,200ks away.
I posted last week my first trip out long week end gone I found 2 little nuggets.

This knowledge came from a post on this forum where to dig I think loamer posted it I read and read, I only ran factory preset, but I chose my spot based on loamers post and got 2.

I think hiring a 5000 for the day and requesting a course before hand is the best way to go, especially if your some 5 hours drive away and still working so your time is limited.

The rest is trial and error I keep on learning from this site and take on board lots of information, I have days of just testing a couple of ks out of town, we can only get away twice a year to do serious detecting.

Margaret

Like Black Al, I'm running the GPX training sessions here in Adelaide. The 3hr training session is complimentary on any new GPX bought at Miners Den. The last course actually went for 5 hrs. You then have the option to do an intermediate or more advanced course which is a full day.

I'm also available for 1on1 training which can be tailored to suit your interests/needs.

Getting back on topic, Margeret, I'm sure you're going to have fun with the GPX4800. :D

The GPX 5000 has 6 Search Modes, General, Deep, Patch, Hi-Mineral, Hi-Trash and Pinpoint.
Just curious as to which you use most often/always and a simple reason for that choice and whether you believe any of them are superfluous and rarely/never used.

Latest posts