Minelab GPX5000 tips, settings and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teemore

There is a bit on settings for the 4500/4800/5000.......
Somewhere it was a pic on a white board if I remember correctly......
Try the search function....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Hi Teemore, I mainly run in General and adjust the settings to suit the ground and type of gold I am hunting. Some times I use the special settings e.g. Fine Gold where it is warranted, other times I choose Normal etc.

On your front panel, the Deep/General settings are really only pre-sets as you can set either to do the others functions via the settings on the back panel - Gain, Stabilizer etc.

Cheers

Thanks Nanjim,
I've seen that but really looking to ask actual users of the 5000 what setting they're actually using.
One thing to know what's available but what looking to see what's ACTUALLY being used.
Cheers T.

Ho Oldfella
So you use mainly "General" as your search mode, thanks.
Should I assume that you're saying that regardless of the search mode used the soil timings and other settings can/will result in the same depth/target size ability?
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Ho Oldfella
So you use mainly "General" as your search mode, thanks.
Should I assume that you're saying that regardless of the search mode used the soil timings and other settings can/will result in the same depth/target size ability?
Cheers T.

This depends on what timings you choose and the associated settings, for those who don't know their machines well and want to hunt for deep larger nuggets the Deep pre-set is a good place to start, for a new spots - General with normal timings should be good until the type of gold/soil conditions are discovered then if needed, use the special timings.

Different timings have different abilities in both nugget detection size and depth and the types of soil mineralization's they can handle. And don't forget that Coil selection will play a major role in what settings you can use.

Just to elaborate a little on what I said above - You can duplicate the Deep setting by copying all its settings and applying them to General and it will be the same thing, as they are only pre-sets :)

Cheers

Can't argue with what you say as I really don't know, as I understand your comments if you make everything the same in all other aspects of the detector settings then depth/target size identification etc will be equal but, if that was the case why have different search modes?
As I said I don't know just wanting to see where the value in the various search modes lies .... e.g. do you use Hi-trash, pinpoint, patch etc search modes or just stick to General/Deep?
Cheers T.

I have not had a situation where I have needed to use Hi-Trash, Pinpoint or patch.
The value in these pre-sets - Deep and General and the others mentioned (as they use all the same circuitry), is that Minelab pretty much optimised these to allow the average user a select them and run without intimate knowledge of all the settings.

The Nugget Finder 17"x11" would be worth a look.
I used one down in Victoria & was impressed with it's sensitivity for a bigger coil. Know of a couple of people who do well with them.
The only other elliptical I used on the 5000 was the Nugget Finder 14"x7" - rarely came off.

mbasko said:
The Nugget Finder 17"x11" would be worth a look.
I used one down in Victoria & was impressed with it's sensitivity for a bigger coil. Know of a couple of people who do well with them.
The only other elliptical I used on the 5000 was the Nugget Finder 14"x7" - rarely came off.

Ok great . Thanks for that Matt .

There that good i have two. Older model white plastic ones...not the ADV models....but i run a 4500, not a 5k.
I got one when they first came out, the second one came along at a latter date... there both still working but one is getting a little noisy due to age. Used in WA last season gone and it continues to find the goods. Couldn't for the life of me tell you the amount of gold they have found, but its quite a bit. From tiny sunbakers to nuggets at depth. These coils would have to be in my opinion, the best all rounders.
Highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCD-8ADusc

The coiltek 11x17 dd is another great coil to consider. Run it on my gpx4500. Shines where the mono coils just mke noise.

Thanks for the info all. I'm looking at them for the reason of being able to cover a bit more ground and to punch a bit deeper . Thanks again everyone for the tips . This is such a good forum for learning and hearing everyone else's experiences. Thanks again :) :) :)

Narrawa said:
There that good i have two. Older model white plastic ones...not the ADV models....but i run a 4500, not a 5k.
I got one when they first came out, the second one came along at a latter date... there both still working but one is getting a little noisy due to age. Used in WA last season gone and it continues to find the goods. Couldn't for the life of me tell you the amount of gold they have found, but its quite a bit. From tiny sunbakers to nuggets at depth. These coils would have to be in my opinion, the best all rounders.
Highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCD-8ADusc

Awesome multi oz nugget narrawa. (Heart breaks)
I would be stoked at that being that I haven't found gold yet and just starting out . Cheers mate

The 15x12" Commander mono is brilliant. I've been going over some of my spots recently with the 16" round nugget finder, and I can tell you the 15x12 hasn't missed much!

I agree with PhaseTech. The 15*12" is a great all-rounder, it is sensitive to small nuggets and will punch deep on large ones as well.
Cheers

Latest posts