Milparinka / Tibooburra area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaryO said:
True ..
Once there he would be very limited in places to go in a sedan.
Hi Mate, Just do the trip put standard wheels take two spare tires to hard to get out there, plenty of good ground you can drive to, no one finds gold driving around in the car, Do the trip you will never regret it, if you go in june/ july take plenty of warm clothes bluddy freesing ,Ron.

I lived in the Hill and worked in the shearing sheds for years north of there. My last job up there was managing a station out from Milparinka for 3 years. I ended up running 14 ply tyres on my cruiser.
That being said as a kid me and Dad did the Birdsville and Strzelecki tracks in a stock 68 Fairlane, then a VC valiant with the front wound up and extra leaves/longer shackles in the back springs.
I never had a smashed windscreen because I always pull RIGHT over and stop completely when a terrorist goes past. Flying rocks can still smash a windscreen when you're stopped.

It could be done with the right smarts and no hurrying. 2 spare tyre/rims, 2 more spare tyres, levers, sliding hammer and reliable compressor. Plenty of spare water, cable/rope, and a wallaby jack with the top attatchment, so it can be used as a hand winch to pull you out when you inevitably get bogged.

Best of luck.........

Sounds like your in for a big adventure maxwell4. There is an app that might help with some info prior to leaving broken hill. Called live traffic NSW I believe it is updated every 24 hrs
We will be heading up that way mid june if conditions are ok 44 but towing 21 ft caravan if conditions are ok.
Does anybody know anything about
Mount Gipps station ? If they allow detectors prospecting.

Have a safe journey

Where do u go 2 get permission to go the station near Tibooburra in giong 4 couple of weeks.

Thanks going 2 touch base with them it just been a couple years ,ive got 2 talk 1 of relo,s at family function they owned a station up there against the dog fence i now 4 a fact 1 of the stations has change hands

True blue prospecting facebook group has a thread on the Tibooburra Common which shows the notice attached below. It appears that the Trust that manages the Common is introducing a charge to detect on the Common.

I find it hard to believe that the towns people want to drive away the high number of prospectors who stay in town for a week or two and detect the common and spend plenty of dollars in town. A fee of $15 a detector per day will empty out the caravan park and this will impact local businesses.

If any forum members have definitive information or insight on the situation at Tibooburra Common could you please reply to this or email/contact NAPFA.
NAPFA is happy to make representations if needed....we just need to clarify the situation first.

Cheers RDD
1492434605_tib_sign.jpg

An Ignorant form of economic revenue. Im sure a donation tin at the corner store would have had a more positive outcome. For any amenitie upgrades etc. Change from the cash you spend in that area. Petrol, food and drinks etc. And I guess someone is now going to make a wage out of patrolling these permits, which will add up to more than any money spent on the site itself! :N:

I wonder who the economic genius is that thought this out, if you deter people from coming not only will they not get the $15/day to detect which is $105/week they will also loose the fees for the caravan park for the week which is more then the detecting fee. :N:

As it is there is no camping on the common which makes you have to use the van park, which is fair enough, but this new fee is just over the top.

Also I wonder why it is just detector people that have been singled out, a bit discriminatory, other groups also use the common, bike riders, joggers, walkers etc, I guess the detector group of people are seen as an easy target and a captive market.

I agree with Red Dirt Digger that NAPFA should get involved, NAPFA is having some good success in getting fossicking districts back up and running, and one can only hope the Tibooburra area will be included one day as a designated fossicking district. :Y:

cheers dave

Maybe NAPFA could seek the services of a discrimination expert to look at it from a legal perspective. To charge one user group to use a "Town Common" and not others doesn't seem right.

It's annoying given that prospectors have already paid state government for a right to use it in the first place.

Not in as yet ............................ and apparently only a few a few want it but those few are on the committee for the common. Exact words I have been told is that no authorization as yet to collect payment. No ruling as yet has been passed. :Y:

Good on NAPFA. Also anyone who visits Tibby should be ringing those 3 numbers on the list and politely but with conviction letting them know the loss to the town if this goes ahead.

Oh and the corner store will get no more of my dollars as he is one that wants it :N: But as said has not been passed as yet and the majority of locals do not want it. The lady I spoke with this morning was born in Tibooburra and has lived there all her life. Apparently it is a very involved issue even in as much that some people hold a lease on the common for cattle so to collect payment they would be in fact sub leasing their lease .................... and it goes on and on. But was told 100% that it has not been passed as yet so don't pay :Y:
With camping fee's plus another $15 a day fee (per detector) could make it a very expensive week to stay in Tibooburra :(

Absolute madness , this will stuff the place .

I know 3 lots of oldies husbands & wives who go up each year for a 3 weeks stay at the caravan park , they spend money at the pubs & shops also .
They are all just pensioners who save up for this trip every year !

It will now cost them an extra $90 per day or $1890 for the 3 weeks !!
You can bet the cancellations will start to pour in .

Stupid Stupid & Stupid decision , economic self destruction :N:

jack

Wally69 said:
A death knell for Hill End

8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.(

Will need to send my commiserations to the store and pub
OOoooooo, now I'm confused again Is it Tibooburra or Tambaroora :eek: I thought I was at Tibooburra but turns out it was Tambaroora :lol: :lol:
Are we talking Hill End :eek: :( Do they charge for night detecting? :lol: :rolleyes: they only mention $15 per day hey no $15 a night :eek:
But it's Tib not Tam hey? :(

EDIT: TIBOOBURRA

Last time I was there (Aug. 2016) the talk was that this would divide the town if it ever happened. The caravan pk. caretaker told me if the fee was imposed, that EVERYBODY should ignore it and let those that voted for it try and enforce it... she said the s!t would hit the fan and they would come to their senses and recind the idea completely.... lets hope so :mad:

Latest posts