Crown land lease NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, would like to know if anyone has leased crown land in NSW before? I am looking to potentially lease some land around the Mudgee region if possible. I know there is a lot of crown land out there but is there a way to find out what land is available to lease without contacting crown lands about every bit of crown land in a certain area?
Regards Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure you need to lodge an expression of interest in the parcel of land & then NSW Crown Lands will tell you whether it's open or coming up for renewal.
As far as I'm aware there is no system that tells the general public the status of NSW Crown Lands as far as leases etc. go.
Their website advises to contact them to discuss the process.

Pretty sure you need to lodge an expression of interest in the parcel of land & then NSW Crown Lands will tell you whether it's open or coming up for renewal.
As far as I'm aware there is no system that tells the general public the status of NSW Crown Lands as far as leases etc. go.
Their website advises to contact them to discuss the process.
Thanks Matt, appreciate your help. I am finding it hard to access both Meroo and Grattai creeks as I can’t seem to get any clear answers from any authorities regarding my rights and responsibilities that is why I would like to look into leasing a parcel on one of these creeks so I can have peace of mind I’m not stepping on toes. The alternative is state forests but that means sunny corner or essington state forest which is a bit out of reach for a quick morning or arvo prospect.
Regards Mitch

Thanks Matt, appreciate your help. I am finding it hard to access both Meroo and Grattai creeks as I can’t seem to get any clear answers from any authorities regarding my rights and responsibilities that is why I would like to look into leasing a parcel on one of these creeks so I can have peace of mind I’m not stepping on toes. The alternative is state forests but that means sunny corner or essington state forest which is a bit out of reach for a quick morning or arvo prospect.
Regards Mitch
Unless you want exclusive access you would only need a NSW Crown Lands Temporary Fossicking Permit. They are free & last 12months. Those areas would be covered by the Dubbo office. I have a couple in place around the area.

Unless you want exclusive access you would only need a NSW Crown Lands Temporary Fossicking Permit. They are free & last 12months. Those areas would be covered by the Dubbo office. I have a couple in place around the area.
Cheers mate. I have submitted a few through the Dubbo and a lot seem to be leased. I am awaiting reply on a few other lots. It seems to be a bit of a lottery from what I’ve experienced. Submit a heap and hope one or two are available to fossick on.
Regards Mitch

Cheers mate. I have submitted a few through the Dubbo and a lot seem to be leased. I am awaiting reply on a few other lots. It seems to be a bit of a lottery from what I’ve experienced. Submit a heap and hope one or two are available to fossick on.
Regards Mitch
That's about it, it's not a great system & some offices are better than others as far as getting them through quicker e.g. Orange but they can only give permits for their area.
I've got a couple approved that I'll send you some info on (probably tomorrow now), they might be of interest & at least you should get a couple of areas approved to suss out.

That's about it, it's not a great system & some offices are better than others as far as getting them through quicker e.g. Orange but they can only give permits for their area.
I've got a couple approved that I'll send you some info on (probably tomorrow now), they might be of interest & at least you should get a couple of areas approved to suss out.
That would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou mate
Regards Mitch

Latest posts