Milparinka / Tibooburra area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple go to Tibooburra store' Pay Vicky $10 a day to detect on mount Stuart also get Foxy's No. He has a map me and the wife made last year he might do you a copy' if he has time he might show you about.

Aboriginal camp grounds is excellent good facility's & shade, $15 a night.

Yep' I was there 2 months ago for 37 I'd hate to wrestle with the flys now...but gold is gold even with a mouth full of flys'

Thanks Zuke I'll head in to Tibooburra tomorrow and get out there. Did you end up doing the quad bike exploration last time you were up? Yeah it's getting hot but I like my nuggets fried. Flies aren't too bad at the moment because the wind keeps them off my face. Had a detect around white cliffs on the way up was a stinker of a day there but got some nice hot rocks :)

Yeah, was out there on the quad for 5 days found 7 nice bits for total of 1gram, about 5 hours detecting' spent the rest of the time exploring new ground, beautiful country I forgot all about the gold.

In the end I went by myself as everyone proved unreliable again....

You're right about the beautiful country mate I'm loving this place. Went for a cruise on the scooter up a dry creek bed today to explore an area fyrther off the beaten track. The boulders fields are doable on the scooter but it's slow going so I thought I'd save time going up sandy creeks ;) Having recently done the simpson desert on the DR650 and being a huge fan of sand riding was the other reason. I ran my tires flat and let her rip. 50cc fully automatic twist and go grunt was snaking all aver the sand while I balanced with my knees out not unlike a moto GP rider hanging out on a corner. Was too much fun and before I knew it the sun was setting. Rode back 15k's in the dark and saw all kinds of creatures. There were sheep, goats, huge red roo's, Emu's, feral cats and either an over grown dingo or a sizeable feral dog which ran like all hell as I approached. Maybe tomorrow I'll get back into gold hunting mode. At 43 degrees forecast it might be worth waiting out til thursday when it's back down to low 30's for a few days.

Someone wanted a pic of the exploration rig out bush. Here's the nugget sniffer a long way south of Tibooburra :)
15800731487_ca12cdfa67_c.jpg

15800731777_305676c69b_c.jpg

you would definitely get some looks on that little rig out there . Will be making my yearly pilgrimage to Tibooburra in July this year , minus youngest son ( who cleaned me up last year) work commitments for him. A couple of years ago i was detecting on the common near the middle dam and a group turned up and detected just off the road that passes the dam heading back to Dead Horse camping ground . Later that night I caught up with them in the showers ( as you do ) and they said they picked up a 7 gramm piece. They were up against the boulders , may be worth a look.

Nailfinder

Hey Nuggetino

How are things going hope you haven't cooked up there , was following
this thread waiting for the good news , hope all is well good luck

Cheers :D

Hey Nailfinder,

Was great fun on the little beast playing around in the boulder fields. Unfortunately no gold with my name on it.

Bacchus,

I'm well and truly gone from Tibooburra and up nears Cairns now. The weather was pretty stinky at 40-43 every day around Tibooburra but I wasn't planning on spending a huge amount of time there. I've had much better luck at jupiter creek in your neck of the woods so keep at it in good old Adelaide Hills. Got a few 1 grammers in Clermont on the way up so the Gold is slowly trickling in. The real gold is the amazing country I've seen alng the way. :D

superb! its on my list of places to visit, but likely to only get that way next year. I'd be very interested to know how you get on, and some of the challenges.

Sheryl said:
Feeling excited, less than 3 weeks til we leave for Tibooburra, so gold you better watch out, I am coming to get you. LOL
Anyone one got any hints or tips for me? Will be my first trip up there. eg fly nets
Got my trusty SDC 2300 ready to go. :)

How long well you be there Sheryl ?

You should have a ball with the 2300 out there as there is lots of small nuggets. Low and Slow is the trick.

The van park is a great place to stay and the people are friendly. Fly nets are a must or you will go insane.

Have a great trip, look forward to your report when you get home.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your kind words, richard70au - I have heard flies are thick up there. Haha.
Jaros, I would hate to swing 2,000 acres, it would take you 10 years! LOL
GaryO, I will be up there for a week, have to include a trip to Camerons Corner of course!
Sniffy, I will report back on my trip when I get home. Hopefully with some pics of all the nuggets! LOL
Counting down the days,

Sheryl

Bumped into a bloke at Coiltek about 8 weeks ago who had just come back.
Had a 2300 and had 280 odd pieces from 10 days.
No idea exactly where.

Latest posts