Milparinka / Tibooburra area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always a pleasant trip out that way, but unfortunately many of the better spots are now off limits. Small gold will always find its way to your coil, but larger bits over about 5 grams are becoming elusive. There's some info on the region within the topics, so some spare time amongst the threads may be of assistance.

Outside Milparinka, upstream of Bendigo Creek you'll find the New Bendigo diggings, and these were very kind to us a few years back. Around the Gum Vale Gorge area is also worth checking as quite a lot of "New Ground" becomes exposed after heavy rain periods.

Some of the stations around the Mt Poole area charge a small access fee for entry to the station, and this is worthwhile checking out as plenty of gold has come off the stations. Mt Brown is now permanently off limits....pitty about that.

Stick to small coils and scrape the ground is the best advice i can give....you'll certainly love the scenery and the desert experience.

Cheers Wal.

Yep one of my more productive spots out that way shame there so small'
Seen a few nice chunks from the common just outside the township,
Vicky that owns tibbooburra store is great for supplies and information.

I read a doc about someones experience at Mt Brown that seemed to detail good finds. I was not aware it was now closed so thanks for the heads up. I have travelled this country quite a bit over the years but never spent much more than a day or so before heading off to Camerons or Innaminka.

I have only been detecting with a 5000 for the last six months with only about 8 trips in that time. I have been working an area at Rushworth that was described to me as an over worked area but have found pieces on all bar one occasion. The areas you worked around Milparinka, would you say are exhausted or do you think with a machine like the 5000, gold would be easily found? I only ask this as with the area at Rushworth there is plenty of evidence of detecting yet I seem to be able to score. Im just hoping its not beginners luck and its the technology I invested in.

Cheers Dave

The New Bendigo diggings have never let me down, and i have frequented the diggings on many occasions. The 5000 will certainly give you the upper hand, but in saying that, many of us with 5000's have roamed these diggings.

If there's been any substantial rain in the area the gravels in the creeks get continually moved, and gold unavailable on previous trips can come to light. The gold on the flats is fairly dispersed so chaining will give you a big advantage.

Wal.

I was there last September & the weather had already turned far to warm with the flies in the millions , they actually stuffed our trip they were so bad 8.( we were using just detectors ' got some but only tiddlers , next time it's my dry concentrator to pay for the trip & get a profit !

Thinking of going again but not sure of the date yet , but it will be when all the flies are dead !

Our camp at Gumvale Station . $10 a day .

1396611530_001.jpg

Yeah I posted something similar recently, still trying to work it out within my family what sort of trip it will be, but winter would be ideal.

We are planning to go some time in June.
We went in 2009,and we had a good time, flies where not bad at all,camped at Mt Browne,but as we know it is finished.

The Digger

Whats the go with mount browne? I got a couple of pieces (small) in my last fifteen minutes of detecting on the last day at Jeffries flat. If I can find my old map Ill send you the coordinates.

Any tips for detecting around Tibooburra would be greatly apprecaited. We are here now and will be looking to head out tomorrow.
Cheers

Just around the common in the gully wash outs is as good as any doesn't really matter how far from town. I was there last for New Years just a bit hot though as I only spent maybe 10 hours out of 7 days did find 9 tiny bits. Will be going out that way with the quads hopefully in a few months.

Heading out there in August or September for a swing. Flies or no flies. Lived in Cobar for 8 years so used to choking on them. :eek:

I got my bits on both the flats and in the washouts. All I can say is go slow and then slow down. Coil sweeps should be multiple passes over the same patch of ground. With my 8" coil I think I moved forward about an inch per swing. Crank the gain/sensitivity and investigate every noise. Keep an eye out for the quartz, there is some really nice bits of citrine and smoky quartz rock crystal out there! Once you find some shallow ground in the washouts really slow down. If there is water in the dams maybe consider a pan of the sands off bedrock.

We did some rough sampling a few years back on run offs around the common to see what areas would be best for dry washing , the results were interesting as some areas that looks good had less gold but others were a surprise showing medium to rich .

These better spots are not for a detector ' just to small mostly with bigger bits buried a couple of CMs to deep .
Unfortunately powered dry washers ( petrol /electric ) are not allowed .

Hand cranked machines would be the go ' save the concentrates for panning later when you have enough water .
Heaps of gold still up that way for those who use manual dry collection methods , best way to crack the pay for trip barrier :D

So I'm about 35km south of tibooburra camped out for a night after the long but amazing drive up from the GT.. I know the gold here is small for the most part and wide spread. I'm going to swing the detector early before first light to avoid the heat. Was wondering if anyone had a few tips on detecting in the area to increase my chances of picking up a few of these micro nugs. Cheers

Latest posts