Milparinka / Tibooburra area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be a bit late but we travelled that road in July and it is suitable for caravans. A little bit corrugated in some places but nothing bad.

Nice feed at Noccundra as well. :Y:

We stopped at the Family Hotel at Tibooburra which had even better meals and met a bloke who was prospecting. I know enough not to ask too much but he appeared to be doing pretty well. Piqued my interest in that area. I'll have to go back for a look one day...

Hi All,
I haven't put up a post in a very long time.

We are going to the Big Red Bash in July, have a look at this awesome lineup http://www.bigredbash.com.au/bigredbash/artists.

I'm trying to organise a stop at Tibooburra for some detecting either on the way up or on the way back or both.
We also want to go to Corillo downs, Cooper creek and the dig tree, Burke and Wills graves, Innamincka, White cliffs, and not sure where to go after that. The people we are traveling with are going to the Cape afterwards so we may tag along with them but time is the governing factor. I have done Cape York in 2 weeks previously and it's just not enough time, unsure at the moment.

What I'm after is any info or recommendations on detecting around Tibooburra or anywhere else up that way, I have PM'd Balmain Bob as he was out that way last year and he is going to give me some info as well.

I have a Whites GMT at the moment and I'm open to any recommendations on detectors. From what I've seen an SDC would be an obvious choice out there.

Looking forward to some info from our well informed PA community.

Cheers
Mick

SDC plus an SP01 booster is a winning combo, plus maybe thrown in a set of Nenad's Accupower batteries so you can always have one set on charge. Being waterproof you can submerge it to 3m so it will come in handy if you have access to some good crevicing spots ;)

Mick did a Tibooburra trip with a group of mates last year .................. by the second day every one was just using SDC's and all other detectors basically stayed in the car for the rest of the time. Small but certainly plenty of it, we pulled over a 150 pieces out of an area not much bigger than the size of a tennis court. :Y:

Thanks guys,
Looks like I'm in the market for an SDC, anyone have one for sale?

Bogger, was the area you were detecting within the common or on one of the stations?

You can go to the common call in at general store or several spots on station the owners own 1 of the pubs, nice little caravan park you can start 1k out of town on the common and same with station better still go to servo as you come into town owns caravan park he point u in right direction, i have got longitude and latitude of 99% reg mines if need them, Doug stones NSW big book shows most of them? just got to find out what accessible to the public, there only small trust me between buck shoot and gold not much difference, and such a very open country and lots of it just got to find a patch.

In read in other places that the Tibooburra Common Trust folks are intending to levy a $15 per day detecting fee. What a ripoff!

Websites for the Family Hotel, including their Outbackbeds listing, do not mention gold fossicking. The Corner Country Store website link on Google search links to Tibooburra.org that barely mention the gold mining past and does not include fossicking under attractions.Tibooburra Granites Motel & Caravan Park makes no mention of fossicking.

Attractions listed on these websites include:
The dog fence, National Park, local museum, sunset hill, a church, pioneer park, drives and walks and the hottest summer temperature in NSW gets a mention. New Years and October events get a mention.

Though they might be interesting ...

No-one goes to Tibooburra to see a wire fence!
No-one goes to Tibooburra to see a sunset!
No-one goes to Tibooburra to see a 50 year old church wire!
No-one goes to Tibooburra to experience extreme heat!

Most people are heading through Corner Country as part of a trip or visit the area to prospect. Wake up Tibooburra, Do you want tourism or not?

To their credit, the Tibooburra Hotel website mentions gold prospecting as an attraction. I'd stay there.

Kitkat just got back from Tibooburra 2 days ago I was using a 7000 and my mate had a 2300 we found a fair bit of gold all small stuff Road in to Tibooburra pretty good cost us $10 a month to detect on The Commons which is pretty cheap pay at servo all go to pub and pay for permit Gumvale all Mount Stuart if you are heading out that way you will have a good time cheers

Anybody been on the Bourke to Tibooburra Road lately? I live NE NSW so doesn't make sense to go to Tibooburra via Broken Hill when I live directly east. Prefer to go through Wanaaring. Google Maps says 425 km that takes 17 hours based on average speed 29km per hour. I can't believe it would ever take that long. At average 80 kmh it should take about 6 hours. Any thoughts?

I last did that road (The Cut Line if I remember correctly) a few years ago and you can do it easily in a day towing and have a relaxed lunch at Wanaaring. Drop your tyre pressures for the sand and beware of the lower tyre pressures when you hit good road/bitumen. First time I went that way (about 4 or 5 years ago) a local (I presume) was driving his Fairlane at moderate speed.

Thanks. I think given the remote location I will still try to get some people interested in a trip there.

Hi Ballina1,

When are you heading across via Wanaaring? I am looking at going through that way in late Aug as I am in the same boat. If you head over before then can you let me know how you go? Hope you do well on the yellow. Will be my first time to Tibb so I will be interested on how you go. :Y:

Cheers

Skyhawker

Let's keep in touch as I might be able to go that time too. 2 vehicles is a safer option. My first time there also but have done some research, if local knowledge is not forthcoming. Tib to Wanaaring Rd not far from town, Easter Monday as well as Common might be the backup plan for first visit.

Sounds good. I'm getting as much info as I can get. I am finding it hard to find places where you can just rock up and camp, seems like everywhere you go there has a cost. What happened to the good old days where you can just camp in the bush and swing a detector? Either way should be a good trip I hope. I was just told on another forum that the road between Bourke and Tib is rough as guts, but that is on second-hand advice. I have read differently elsewhere, probably wont hurt to call the Bourke shire before I go to check. Do you know how to PM on here?

Latest posts