Is it Wrong to ask Where ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where you found your Gold ? Is this question "unethical"? Is there some unwritten law/rule about this ?

I ask this because , I have come across some very rude people that answer "NSW or NT etc "
I dont want GPS marks , just a general locality . I know myself , that I am willing to answer something like , " At Hillend or Orange etc "
Why do some people act so secretively ? Are they really that paranoid they think others might find "their patch" by just saying in what "general" area they found it ?
I know this forum shares info pretty well ,,, but by Jesus , some of the Facebook Groups are agro about it .

JeffP said:
Where you found your Gold ? Is this question "unethical"? Is there some unwritten law/rule about this ?

I ask this because , I have come across some very rude people that answer "NSW or NT etc "
I dont want GPS marks , just a general locality . I know myself , that I am willing to answer something like , " At Hillend or Orange etc "
Why do some people act so secretively ? Are they really that paranoid they think others might find "their patch" by just saying in what "general" area they found it ?
I know this forum shares info pretty well ,,, but by Jesus , some of the Facebook Groups are agro about it .

I was at a place recently where I was told to not even disclose if I had found gold ............................... apparently there were those that were going out and backtracking tyre tracks to the location :rolleyes: ......................... aaaaaaaaaaaaah money or in this case gold the root of all evil :D

the closest i would say is the town, not what part or which end, just the general area, if you want more info than that then i would expect a ef off response :)

I reckon the state or region is more than good enough i.e. NSW or Central West NSW but if it's a well known publicly accessible area then I can't see why the general area wouldn't or couldn't be given although it's up to the finder. A lot will more than likely give you a bum steer anyway :lol: Asking for exact or specific locations where someone is going ok though is probably an unwritten rule of what not to do. As newbies we've all probably been guilty of it.

Private property is a whole different story. Unless the owner's are wanting to advertise a pay to dig type set up then I don't like seeing them put on the interweb. Even those Oziexplorer & Historic Mine Data waypoints etc. can cause grief for property owner's. There's some really thick or just self centred people around.

Unwritten etiquette, one must not look at pictures of gold and ask where was it found, and if one wanted to offer up any info, the reason you wouldn't be seeing where on the forum would be that even a general area ( like a region ) would be passed on by pm to insure the rest of the world never knew where, and that's about it, everywhere that's ever been mentioned in literature anytime ever, is there for research ,.... the mystery of where is what drives personal research to fever pitch frenzy, and that's what can bring good results for people, so when one thinks " those nuggets look awsome " just let the wanting drive your research, because that is what will put you on to the goodies that will lay beneath your feet. ;) 8) :p :cool:

I don't mind telling people something like, Talbot, Creswick etc etc as a general are. After that you're giving out too much information, especially to those non members lurking out there.
Mind you, if i was finding big stuff i'd probably be a bit more close lipped :lol:

You just have to look at Grabben Gullen public fossicking area to see the issues that can arise from widely publicising certain spots. The locals and adjacent land owner are upset due to all the erosion, rubbish and general disregard of rules and respect. Not saying forum members do this but it is a very well known area that is hit very hard by a lot of people.

So I'd say it's not just about the gold or gems but it's also about the other aspects of spots being ruined and then no longer being available for fossicking if too many people know about a spot..

I reckon it's rude to ask for exact locations, general areas are fair enough though. If people want to share they usually will without the need to ask.

One of my mates showed a bloke a patch, not his patch, just a patch.
He also pointed it out to me as we drove past it. Next time I drove past it, I stopped and picked up about 10 UDL cans, a half eaten bbq chook still in its plastic bag, and other assorted rubbish.
Now days I give very approximate locations, like just north of emerald springs, or just south of adelaide river, regulars will know where I mean, margret diggings or bridge creek, both are big areas but easy to see where on google earth. Numptys usually stay on or near the tracks, those who find a bit, do the miles to get the smiles.
Face book guys up here will tell you in initials like TC, tennant creek, MD, marg diggings, BC and so on.
The ones I hate are the yobbos that go panning, and shotgun with them, they have ok intentions, pan a bit, shoot a goose for the fire, goose shooters leave a lot of steel shot all over the place.

Nobody suggests you give away your gold locations. But i'm with JeffP on this one, it has peeved me in the past. If i ask the general area i am really asking for a general answer like "WA goldfields," or "golden triangle" or even "Nth Q." Most dont have a location on their profile so we have no clue where somebody is from or where they prospect. Im not going to give away any secrets either but i see no risk in saying "Nth West coast Tas" or some generic answer. Of course if its a housebrick sized nugget then im not going to post at all.

Wolfy said:
Nobody suggests you give away your gold locations. But i'm with JeffP on this one, it has peeved me in the past. If i ask the general area i am really asking for a general answer like "WA goldfields," or "golden triangle" or even "Nth Q." Most dont have a location on their profile so we have no clue where somebody is from or where they prospect. Im not going to give away any secrets either but i see no risk in saying "Nth West coast Tas" or some generic answer. Of course if its a housebrick sized nugget then im not going to post at all.
Yeah, i agree with that, just a state or rough location within the GT for instance etc doesn't hurt imo. I wouldn't give out gully name or leads name though for all and sundry to read.

Dig'n-it said:
Hedigs ....... very impressive. Well done!
What part of the country did you find these in ...... Vic GT, Wa, FNQld???
Looks like Vic GT gold, but good sizes. :p

Dig'n-it said:
Hedigs said:
Hi Dig'n-it, those nuggets are from Central West NSW.

Nice gold Peter :)
Thanks Hedigs. I appreciate you sharing the general local. I find it interesting to compare the type of gold found in the different States. Cheers :)

Pretty much sums it up really!

JeffP said:

Hi, friend of mine asked me where i got good gold last may after a while i gave in and told him, what did he do the following week he went out to my spot found a 18gram sun baker along with quiet a few others, nearly 2. 1/2 ounces all up, came back and rubbish me about what i mist, my detecting for this year, why wood you tell any body anything, there are thoes who search the forums looking for new spots all the time, sorry if i effend any body but you can see how it is, Ron.

Sometimes the question "where did you find that?" is meant only as a general expression of interest/admiration and as a means to spark a conversation.

I once asked an old coot where he found a huge gem he was parading around the camp site (compensation for a lack of vitality no doubt). I was met with a "do you think I'm f'ing stupid you little shit" kind of response. He could have responded with an "out past the black stump and turn left" vagueness. I laugh, he laughs we both go away with a smile. Instead he chose to be an ass about it. Felt like slashing his tyres, but I'm not that sort of person.

Anyway, point of the story is I think its perfectly okay to ask and its perfectly okay to be vague. Not okay to be an ass about it.

Latest posts