Durikai, Talgai, Thanes creek (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone able to tell a beginner which of the three following locations is best to start detecting:
Talgai State Forest
Thanes Creek
Durikai

From reading recent posts it seems that Durikai would provide the best results would I be right in assuming that.

I'd say Durikai to start out with. Wouldn't waste my time with Thanes Creek.. Talgai could be worth a look but you would probably need to do more research in that area.

Tribsa 56 said:
I will be out there fri and sat after anzac day mike. Shame i wont catch you again mate :rolleyes:

Not sure if I can make it that weekend its my daughters birthday on 26 April....tossing up what to do...she wins!!!

We will catch up out here Steve...I will even leave some gold for you!!

By the way people,
the Scientific ares is out of bounds. only the shaded areas of the departmental map are fossicking areas the grey coloured area only indicates the extent of the Durikai State Forrest.
Have a look at a satellite map and you can clearly see difference between the treed areas and the grazing lands.
Here is a link to the map. https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/__data/...2138/durikai-state-forest-fossicking-area.pdf

If you get caught your gear is generally confiscated. Check out the rules and penalties.

Keen Ken said:
By the way people,
the Scientific ares is out of bounds. only the shaded areas of the departmental map are fossicking areas the grey coloured area only indicates the extent of the Durikai State Forrest.
Have a look at a satellite map and you can clearly see difference between the treed areas and the grazing lands.
Here is a link to the map. https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/__data/...2138/durikai-state-forest-fossicking-area.pdf

If you get caught your gear is generally confiscated. Check out the rules and penalties.

Mate you are probably right..but interesting that the areas marked in grey on the map state that "fossicking not permitted"...but there is no such notation on the scientific area. Maybe that why its confusing !!

Went to the access road there today and this is what the sign actually says:

1523695088_scientific_area.jpg
Looks like this image cant be rotated!!

Anyway we are all adults and need to do what we believe is right. No individual has the right to police others...that right sits with approved officers as defined in the relevant Act.

MikeB05 said:
Keen Ken said:
By the way people,

Mate you are probably right..but interesting that the areas marked in grey on the map state that "fossicking not permitted"...but there is no such notation on the scientific area. Maybe that why its confusing !!

Went to the access road there today and this is what the sign actually says:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7270/1523695088_scientific_area.jpg Looks like this image cant be rotated!!

Anyway we are all adults and need to do what we believe is right. No individual has the right to police others...that right sits with approved officers as defined in the relevant Act.

If someone is doing the wrong thing, you are able to report them. Littering, destroying the environment (not re-filling holes), illegal activity, and trespassing. Anyone caught in the act should not be surprised if they are reported.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the SCIENTIFIC AREA would be a definite NO GO.

We need to do what is right not what we believe is right. The rules are pretty simple for prospecting. I do not see any confusion.

For those doing the right thing, the going is tough, but you will be rewarded for your honesty and effort.

Hope you find lotsa yellow

A mate just got a property out west a couple hundred acres ... Started to chat and he shut things down ASAP...

He has some old workings and maybe an old camp site... BUT AHOLES jump fences and carry on as if it is their right..

People that trespass / steal items from his place and leave a mess and pull things down..

He has started taking extra measures and if I was on his place visiting or otherwise and I observe a trespasser/thief... You bet I will report and provide as much info as possible.... And smile while doing it.

Trespassing is a pita but when you toss theft / intent / damage into the mix... Hope ya fall down a shaft on ya way out..

just got back from glendons and i is closed for somewhere from 2 weeks to 2 months.
big dust with the chinese owners and Andrea and Jason,the walked off.
new manger started his morning.

Well that's something I never knew. Owned by the Chinese. Don't take me wrong, I have nothing against Chinese per se, but who would have thought they owned Glendon. Been a while since I've been there, but was a great place to escape for a few days. 4WD'ing and exploring the old mine sites made for a great time. Hope the new managers are as good as Andrea & Jason.

Agree with busted nuckle...I was told last week that it will be shut for 2 months from May. Caretaker role is advertised.(see below)

Be interesting to see of there are any changes...particularly on what fossickers are allowed to do on the property.

One local bloke seems to have the sole rights to charge people (a lot of $) to do things there that all of us used to do.

It's a great spot with lots of potential. Hope it all gets sorted.

1524956407_glendon_job.jpg

Planning the next trip out to Karara. Been twice out to Durikai, spent one day at Glendon side and 2 days at Carbean Rd. Driving down there from Hervey Bay so around 6 hour trip so thought I would ask if any one has had any luck at Talgai GPA.

Latest posts