Durikai, Talgai, Thanes creek (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Feral, what are you using -- I was there on Saturday and Sunday -- go low and slow -- 1,2,3,4, to the right, 1,2,3,4 to the left most of my findings are about 3 to 6 inch down -- Ward69

TDI OZ Pro and my offsider using the Deus white coil. Found a heap off lead shot at Carbean Rd. Think the deepest was about 4 inches down. We was there not weekend just gone but weekend before. Gunna take a rake with us next time. Loving the time in the bush. Due to the travel time involved, was just wondering if Talgai would offer a better chance as there were large areas raked there at Durikai. Did experiment with swing speed on one of the targets, turned out to be lead shot, so think I got that sorted.

P.S. Offsider has zero patience and when he thinks I ain't looking the coil spends most of its time a foot in the air. He does it when we go coin shooting to. I take off so I don't hear the sooking lol

Sdc2300 with headset. Always on 5 specially in rocks Remember. 1,2,3,4 to right and 1,2,3,4 to left. One little change in the wave. Stop scrap off a little with boot. Then over again. On Saturday. Hear the target once, thinking I'm hear things so move back a few feet and repeat it. Bang. Gold. Low and slow. Everyone thinks is been flogged. But it's not. Just it's harder to find. Good luck. I'm back Friday. And Saturday this week. Ward69

Thanks mate..I also run a 2300 had no luck in a long time. I am there this weekend. I will call by the pub and try and say gday on Firday night depending on what time I get there...have to set up camp at the showgrounds first.
cheers
Mike

oh yeah i know that spot i go past it every fortnight just never knew it was a showgrounds , but i always see the odd camper in there . must beep the horn and wave when i go past there twice tomorrow ..on my way to and from toowoomba.
johno

hi feral, have you given a thought of Dunns gully near pratten,
its at the head of gum tree flat, about 5km from pratten
on the big hill road.In the gold rush of times gone by a
lot of good nuggets came from there. Biggest was 55ozs.
here is a map of the area, at the tip of the pointer, sorry about the size,
and orientation. good luck.

1528115082_imag4299.jpg

Feral it's a fair haul no matter what way you head from Hervey Bay. Not a fan of Clermont but would give more options / area probably ;) Clermont would be a hot trip at Santa time :eek:

hi feral, Dunns gully ,Pratten is no where near Clermont.
You go from Warwick along Cunningham highway towards Karra,
take the Pratten turn off. It's not that far from the Karara Pub.
good luck.

The sections of Dunn Gully that produced large nuggets are not in Talgai GPA. They are on private property or State Forest.
Pretty much like all the good spots.

Good luck :Y:

What a shame, great spots along the creek at gum flat,
and on the right hand side as you enter gum flat.
Did that area in the late 90's, the GPA present has probably
been picked over like a carcass at a hyenas picnic. I will
have to get up to speed with the changes. sure does'nt
promote fossicking tourism.

Sorta live halfway between no where with the GPA's. I grew up in Gordonvale just south of Cairns and even though I will always live close to the ocean, had forgotten how much I like hiking through the bush. Clermont will be a bit warm but it's dry heat mostly and easier to handle. Was there in January and did 5 hrs in the morning and around 4 hrs in the afternoon. Had a 2 hr nanny nap at lunch. Looking at getting one of those portable aircons for the me offsider. Was looking at a trip to Vic this year but.......... unforseen events means its on the back burner for now. Been gathering info from all over and wishing we all had access to State forestry as in other states.

Hi Statusquo, any luck with the golden hawk yet?

Ive purchased one and still learning the machine. Hoping to hear some good news about gold finds with a golden hawk

Was off to a permission but it got canned at teh last moment - we were on the road... Optus out bush is = FORGET IT

So had a drive around a few of the places allowed in Durakai = Super large Putt Putt course...

Doubt there is much that has not been raked and plenty of stuff is so fresh there is not even leaves on the ground...

From what I observed - Take ya dogs and lots of drinks etc. Swing the SDC2300 and find the slightest signal and then rake an area about 3M to 4 M around that signal... Rake and use the back to get any small pebbles etc Then use the GPZ 7000 to goes slowly over that patch while the Sdc2300 does another area.

When you get thirsty have ya mates wander over and give you a beer or can of V. Then place empty can and other plastic rubbish in the nearest Bush bin.. ( A stump that is hollow )

And when we went for a drive through the 2 scientific areas - almost the same :-(

And about 4.30pm a couple of 4x4 and a few people pulled up on one side of the fence 2300 and 7000 and lights... Now I have no proof, but lots of activity at the fence line and am assuming they may have lost something over that fence !!!

My mate and i left for a drink at the local and to get some fire wood and pick the freshest road kill for a feed..

Bloody cold out there at the moment......

Latest posts