Durikai, Talgai, Thanes creek (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see you having a go Tyrion...and although I have not yet met Bruce out there, I will probably book a session with him at some stage. He has a great reputation.

Mate keep going at Glendons and also try out Durikai...there is gold there, you just got to walk over it.

Good luck mate

Thanx for the replies guys and ill take on board all your advise for when i head down that way again. I had a look in durakai while i was there but with so much quarts on the ground and no idea where to start i stuck to what i knew at glendons. Bruce gave me some insight as to how the quarts ended up scatered on the surface throught the main part of durakai which was great. So now having alot more info on the area im looking forward to heading back there again.
Tyrion

Hi everyone.
Been hunting the state forests around Warwick QLD for quite a few weekends now and have so far found only one small piece in a creek bed that has been well worked. Ive covered a lot of different ground trying to find out where its all hiding but without success. Anyone familiar with the area who can offer me any tips? Mostly using the SDC. I suspect by looking at the old shafts that if it does exist, its probably out of reach....

Aussie, if you drop into the Glen Caravan Pk. I am sure they will give advice and maybe give you a mudmap of the area and its not a bad place to stay either.

Jaros said:
Aussie, if you drop into the Glen Caravan Pk. I am sure they will give advice and maybe give you a mudmap of the area and its not a bad place to stay either.

Yeah Ive been on their property a few times to break things up a bit. Just the usual lead shot and smashed bullets so far but its a big place and Ive only sampled a few small areas. Nice property and a lot of fun for the 4wd but the entry cost is a bit prohibitive to go regularly :)

Most of the areas you described have been hit fairly hard however I was out there two weekends ago and saw nuggets from 3 gram down to unreadable come out of Durikai north and carbean rd.. all up I believe it was 8 nuggets between two people.. trust me those areas have seen a lot of detectors and people are still pulling gold out. I'll be back out there for a long weekend Labour Day weekend. I believe Tribsa 56 is going out the weekend after Anzac Day... I would camp at Karara on a long weekend and you'll bump into other like minded people as I have. I've learnt a lot about the area over a few drinks around a fire at the camp.. most of the people I've met out there a very friendly and helpful.. there has only been one or two people that were unfriendly so you just leave those clowns alone.
Best luck :D

That whole area has been flogged and will continue to be flogged :N: You Just have to be lucky enough to put your coil over a bit of ground thats been missed..And there will always be missed areas..It will just get harder to find :Y:

Howdy

If you type into the search function - Durakai , there are a few posts on the area

Good luck

Hi aussie84,
That's one more piece you've detected than I have, and I have been visiting down there on and off for 6 years.
I usually end up giving up after detecting and have a pan, at lease I can find a few specks that way.
Have fun!

Thanks guys. I think the next time I go Ill do as you suggest and just head much deeper into the forest. With any luck I wont get scratched up too bad or attacked by yowies or hunted by inbred mountain people. Realistically Im far more concerned with getting lost in there. Unless you folks are planning a meet up at the campsite Ill probably just head there from home where I keep my bed and get a decent shower :D

Cando said:
Most of the areas you described have been hit fairly hard however I was out there two weekends ago and saw nuggets from 3 gram down to unreadable come out of Durikai north and carbean rd.. all up I believe it was 8 nuggets between two people.. trust me those areas have seen a lot of detectors and people are still pulling gold out. I'll be back out there for a long weekend Labour Day weekend. I believe Tribsa 56 is going out the weekend after Anzac Day... I would camp at Karara on a long weekend and you'll bump into other like minded people as I have. I've learnt a lot about the area over a few drinks around a fire at the camp.. most of the people I've met out there a very friendly and helpful.. there has only been one or two people that were unfriendly so you just leave those clowns alone.

If those 2 people initials start with C&M then they have been getting their nuggets from areas not allowed. Example is the Scientific Area. They also raked the hell out of Carbean Road Diggings and spend many a day there. I pulled a .24gram nugget in front of them from the side of their rakings. But that was lucky because there is not too much in the common areas, or easier to get to areas.
They are an elderly couple, so that is one advantage to others who just want to go once in a blue moon to find just any colour. Go in the harder to get to areas, there is still small patches around, but they are scattered and off the beaten track.

In regards to friendliness, the couple I mentioned were friendly, yes. I never had a problem with their people manners. It was the other aspects that I think are not to be taken lightly, and its actions like that, that can spoil this hobby for the rest of us.

So know there is gold out there, but if you are detecting an area that is 50mtrs or so close to a track, then chances are slim. But in saying that, some patches have recently been found not too far from the main tracks, so the old saying of gold is where you find it is truly the case.

The areas they opened up for prospecting are not the richest areas, far from it. But they do contain gold.

Good luck, hope you find some nuggets.

For $60 odd dollars a night, the Karara Pub is worth it. Gets you a shower, cleaned up, rested up for a long day.
Use a GPS tracking app, that way you can follow your waypoints back to where you started. It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to get your orientation right.

:D

Keen Ken said:
Hi aussie84,
That's one more piece you've detected than I have, and I have been visiting down there on and off for 6 years.
I usually end up giving up after detecting and have a pan, at lease I can find a few specks that way.
Have fun!

Very true, if you dig some crevices out there in the creeks, you will definitely find some colour.
I always try to spend the last hour of the day just getting some dirt to take home for later.

I know a guy who was detecting in the wrong area and he had his Fossicking Licence cancelled,it's just not worth it.

Agree with Hayyou- for $60 a night , or $30 each for 2 , enjoy the comforts of home , theres 2 beds ....!!!

I will put up some pics of Karara free camp , I have also stayed there

1523354036_98738755-6557-408c-903f-78b6e9f62a8a.jpg

1523354101_d38f5c30-fe60-4894-be7b-fda7fd075db0.jpg

hAyyoUinAU said:
Cando said:

If those 2 people initials start with C&M then they have been getting their nuggets from areas not allowed. Example is the Scientific Area. They also raked the hell out of Carbean Road Diggings and spend many a day there. I pulled a .24gram nugget in front of them from the side of their rakings. But that was lucky because there is not too much in the common areas, or easier to get to areas.
They are an elderly couple, so that is one advantage to others who just want to go once in a blue moon to find just any colour. Go in the harder to get to areas, there is still small patches around, but they are scattered and off the beaten track.

In regards to friendliness, the couple I mentioned were friendly, yes. I never had a problem with their people manners. It was the other aspects that I think are not to be taken lightly, and its actions like that, that can spoil this hobby for the rest of us.

So know there is gold out there, but if you are detecting an area that is 50mtrs or so close to a track, then chances are slim. But in saying that, some patches have recently been found not too far from the main tracks, so the old saying of gold is where you find it is truly the case.

The areas they opened up for prospecting are not the richest areas, far from it. But they do contain gold.

Good luck, hope you find some nuggets.
I should have said two couples instead people, sorry for misleading, no it wasn't C & M. I know it wasn't in the scientific area.. and as for raking, well that's another debate. :)
In the showgrounds camping area the camping is free, if you use the showers there, it's $3 per night, they are not free. $12 a night for power if available.
Happy hunting :)

Latest posts