Gold prospecting in Queensland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They are quite a number of areas that are well known for detecting gold in Queensland but there is some places that have been forgotten. Maybe some of you still remember them more than happy to share this information with anyone As long as you do the right thing by the things back in the day it was a lot easier you could use a dredge or any mechanical equipment The law has changed now for part-time prospectus I'd be interested in your thoughts. Thanks

Welcome. I have forgotten the sites you are referring to. I only know of Talagai Stae Forest , Thanes creek area where Glendon Dam Van Park is, and Durikai State Forest all near Warwick Qld.

They are quite a number of areas that are well known for detecting gold in Queensland but there is some places that have been forgotten. Maybe some of you still remember them more than happy to share this information with anyone As long as you do the right thing by the things back in the day it was a lot easier you could use a dredge or any mechanical equipment The law has changed now for part-time prospectus I'd be interested in your thoughts. Thanks
The Dairy Maid Diggings south of Georgetown used to be good for panning. On two occasions we were permitted to camp and pan in a dry creek bed between the boundary fence and the roadway. We were not permitted to enter the property proper nor, understandably, light fires except on clear gravel in the creek bed.
There was a well from which adequate supplies of water could be obtained to permit panning in babies' baths. We also tried winnowing with good results.
There was also a patch that had been scraped and dry blown on which a metal detecting mate scored twelve slugs of gold about the size of wheat grains.
When we requested permission to pan there on a third occasion we were told that the area was no longer available because of over use.
Apparently it was not unusual for the grazier's dinner to be interrupted up to seventeen times a sitting by people wanting to fossick on his property.
The last time we visited Georgetown you could purchase a Fossicking Permit permitting access to State Forests and specified private property and were restricted to those specified areas in an attempt to limit hassle for land owners. It was not possible to select the areas you wanted to work, you had to
take what was offered.

There's gold there at Western Creek, just getting harder to find (like everywhere else). Last winter I ended up with close to 4oz. There were a few good finds (not by me) 8oz specie 12oz specie and a 3ozer that I know about.
Many go with their Equinox's and Garrett's even some with sdc2300's 7000's and 6000's and find zero or just a gram or two.
Better operators with the right mindset and equipment to match go and do ok. Camp site is good and fairly priced, no phone reception sucks though, driving several km to get a signal.

Latest posts