Durikai, Talgai, Thanes creek (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty sure they have opened up new grounds for gold fossicking there....

Hi all,
So I managed to convince my old man and brother to head out that way and do some panning. They are only new to it so I tried to help them out as much as possible by ringing Bruce up there for some advice. He told me where they should go to find some colour and I relayed this info to them and said they were going to check it out.
Today they went up and found diddly squat but the place they described sounded nothing like bruce mentioned. I will be up there next weekend and we will be going back out there to have a go. Has anyone else here been panning out there and may be able to steer us in the general direction so I can find some colour and show them how its done? I fear one more failed trip for them might dishearten them too much and give it away.
I will be talking to Bruce again before we head up because he seemed so knowledgeable and happy to help.

Cheers,
Matt

Hey guys I'm just wondering if any body could provide me with a hand drawn mud map of thanes creek at glendon as I've been there before but I went with other people and am confused when I google the area it looks to confusing so many dirt roads out there ? Can't tell where the river runs . Or where we were last time any help would be good :) also is there much water up there at the moment for a highbanker ?

hi all im heading out to glendons west of brissie an then on to bingara with my new highbanker would appreciate some info on where to start cheers

G'day GG,
you could try Mount coolon to the west, and Mount Britton to the east of glenden. Iv spent a few days at Mount Britton Detecting, LOTS of junk but no nuggets :(
Also did a bit of panning there, didnt find anything either, BUT i didnt spend all that much time panning.
Unfortunatly, u cant get up into the better area of mount britton (nuggety gully) unless you dissmiss all the signs on the track that warn you to proceed any further will result in a LEAD injection.

happy hunting.

Errrrrrrr, if u ment glenden QLD, lol

Guddat GG,
Are you going to camp at the camp grounds or is it a day visit.
I usually haunt the Glendon area nowadays and have found gold up to 2grams in the banker.
Best thing to do is crevice and fill as many buckets as possible and then find a suitable spot down by the dam and sluice there.
Most of the gullies have the AU in them, just bloody hard work filling up those buckets.
If using buckets, go the 15ltr bkts as the 20's are way to heavy to handle.
Glendon camp area has basic facilities but when you are out in the dust digging the amenties are just as good as a 5 star joint.
I usually camp across the creek as it is well grassed and away from the biking fraternity.
Only down side if you need to do a No.2 it is a bit of a walk to go to the loo.
Good luck and hope you do well, might even see you out there.
Cheers
Brad....

Hi all

We made our minds up to head back down to Glendon :rolleyes: last year over the Christmas we were there, and yep it still hit 41 it was ok as we headed out early in the mornings and was back at camp by lunch.

Then off again about 4 ish. Just checking in if anyone has been to Talgai as late, we didn't detect there last year and was wondering how the going is.
we have printed off the old maps of where gold was found and old mine.
Things I am expecting hot,dry,dusty,

And does anyone carry a Personal epirb with them, if so what type would you recommend. Thinking along these lines in case one of us get hurt and cant be moved and the other reason is fires.

K-M :D

I have been looking into getting an EPIRB or a PLB. Here is what I have found out so far:
  • EPIRB's have a 20 year lithium battery but they recommend replacing every 10 years (after that many years would buy a new unit, as technology would have improved)[/*]
  • PLB's have a 5 year battery, $150 to replace battery[/*]
  • EPIRBS's are bulky and physically larger than PLB's[/*]
  • EPIRB's operate on both land and in water[/*]
  • Not all PLB's can handle water and need to be in a waterproof bag to keep them dry and working[/*]
  • EPIRB's are cheaper than PLB's over time[/*]
  • Most PLB's have an annual subscription model which makes them expensive over time[/*]
  • Cheapest and most reliable PLB based on user reviews is the ACR ResQlink[/*]
  • EPIRB will transmit signal for 3 days once activated[/*]
  • PLB will transmit signal for 32 hours once activated[/*]

EPIRB with GPS:

http://www.adventuresafety.com.au/beacons/kti-sa1g-safety-alert-epirb-with-gps/
http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/KTI-SA1G-406-EPIRB-with-GPS.html

ACR ResQlink:

http://www.adventuresafety.com.au/s...racord-survival-bracelet-limited-bonus-offer/
http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/ACR-ResQLink-PLB-with-GPS.html

Hi Kim -Margaret
You might be interested in this page from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) who are the guys who monitor distress beacons.
http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/distress-beacons.html
Have a read of the other pages too.
If you buy one (and yes, I have a PLB for bushwalking, 4wding etc) then get one with a GPS as it narrows down the search zone quite considerably.

gcause said:
I have been looking into getting an EPIRB or a PLB. Here is what I have found out so far:
  • Most PLB's have an annual subscription model which makes them expensive over time[/*]

Those 'subscription model' devices are satellite messengers, not PLBs. PLB's are purely distress beacons (with or without GPS), and have no ongoing costs other than periodic battery replacement.

grubstake said:
gcause said:

Those 'subscription model' devices are satellite messengers, not PLBs. PLB's are purely distress beacons (with or without GPS), and have no ongoing costs other than periodic battery replacement.

Thanks for clarifying that Grubstake.

I noticed also that the subscriptions vary as some have messenger service and some have tracking service as part of their subscription and some have both.

The messengers also seem to come with some predefined messages that you can later customise.

I'd prefer a distress beacon to a messenger. Im thinking the EPIRB might be the best for me right now.

A beacon can only save your life if you've got it with you when you need it, so for me (bushwalker/prospector), the pocketable size/weight of the FastFind made it an easy choice. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a gully with a broken leg, knowing there was an EPIRB back in the 4WD.

Hi all thanks for the links and advise I've done abit of reading and grubstake has it down to a t in what I'm looking for, something small enough that stays with me not in the truck.

In my thinking carrying one cant hurt, who knows it could save a life.

Thanks all
Margaret :D

Hi All
Here is my take on the PLB v Distress messenger.

Spot type device do have an SOS function, but more importantly they give you the ability to communicate via a smart phone, this may be very handy for non emergency but help required instances, such as vehicle breakdown, more flats than spares, the rescue team would not be happy if you set of a PLB simply because you were stuck & could not help yourself!!!

On the other hand it would be nice to advise people at home that you are onto good Gold & will stay a little longer & therefore no stress at home.

I am leaning toward the Inreach device due to 2 way comms, the area's I work are rugged & I know a couple of Chopper pilots in the area, I would have their number in my phone for emergencies too.
cheers
Lee

If you visit remote areas on land you need PLB (Personal locator Beacon). $350 cost, batteries last 5 years and they are the size of a pack of cigarettes. Do not get an EPIRB.

Link below and image is the model i have had for three years, that i would recommend. Its water proof but needs to be in the neoprene jacket to float on water. The first aid kit in this deal is very very good. The PLB works out at costing me only a gram and a half of gold a year (over 5 years) for piece of mind, and knowing i will not be costing maybe 100's of thousands in search and rescue costs if i get lost or in trouble.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACR-RESQ...AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d27594a7

Cheers RDD

PS in the image the aerial sticks up about 30cm. When packed up the flexible aerial wraps around the unit, locks in and covers the panic button.....

Latest posts