Durikai, Talgai, Thanes creek (Qld) Queensland information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why there is any negative comment (including are they even licenced?) directed at C&M.

These guys are having some success in Durikai because they put in the time and hard work from what I've seen.

I've met these folks and they are friendly and helpful as are all the people I've been fortunate to meet so far at Durikai.

I have run into lots of people in 'questionable' areas out there....for anyone to know people are in those areas you have to be there too or if not first hand experience, it's a second hand view.

If anyone does do the wrong thing out there, they run the risk of being caught and paying the consequence. As 300 said above...do the wrong thing and we can lose a licence.

Having said that do we really want these pages to be the publication point for having a go at people or even being the source of evidence for authorities.

If we disagree with what other people are doing and we see it first hand we could always politely say something.

Last time I looked, the only people who are accountable for checking and policing fossicking are those defined in the Qld Fossicking Act...I for one am happy to leave the policing to them.

Durikai is a big area..some say it has been flogged to death but my mate I was with two week-ends ago took out nearly 7 grams in 5 bits...great going with a Gold Monster 1000.

Me...I got zip with my SDC but got some well needed exercise.

Anyway Gemvale and Aussie84...get out there and give it a crack and if you see people stop and have a yarn...most folks will help you.
Good luck!!

MikeB05 said:
Not sure why there is any negative comment (including are they even licenced?) directed at C&M.

These guys are having some success in Durikai because they put in the time and hard work from what I've seen.

I've met these folks and they are friendly and helpful as are all the people I've been fortunate to meet so far at Durikai.

I have run into lots of people in 'questionable' areas out there....for anyone to know people are in those areas you have to be there too or if not first hand experience, it's a second hand view.

If anyone does do the wrong thing out there, they run the risk of being caught and paying the consequence. As 300 said above...do the wrong thing and we can lose a licence.

Having said that do we really want these pages to be the publication point for having a go at people or even being the source of evidence for authorities.

If we disagree with what other people are doing and we see it first hand we could always politely say something.

Last time I looked, the only people who are accountable for checking and policing fossicking are those defined in the Qld Fossicking Act...I for one am happy to leave the policing to them.

Durikai is a big area..some say it has been flogged to death but my mate I was with two week-ends ago took out nearly 7 grams in 5 bits...great going with a Gold Monster 1000.

Anyway Gemvale and Aussie84...get out there and give it a crack and if you see people stop and have a yarn...most folks will help you.
Good luck!!

Unless you were there. I don't like accusations either. I play by the rules, unlike some.
I went to the Scientific Area because my mate and another prospector got told they were there and doing the wrong thing.
I have photos and evidence of it all. Even chainsaws being used. They even invited me to go to the scientific area when I first met them, which I refused.
I do not detect anywhere unless its designated, especially not an area that specifically says NO FOSSICKING.

And of course those 2 will be friendly, they are up to no good.

Sorry, nothing cool or right about doing the wrong thing.

And the rule with raking is, you must leave it the way it was when you got there. So that would mean raking everything back after.

Also camping in fossicking areas, or scientific areas is also illegal. It is not up to other licence holders to enforce the law, but it is up to them to report the wrong thing. The only reason I haven't is because I don't want to get that area into trouble because of a couple SELFISH PEOPLE.

And if I see them out there again, I will be having a word to them about it.

There isn't one rule for some and another for others.

I am a straight shooter. I don't beat around the bush.
I don't care who you are or what you do, if its wrong, and I caught you out, I am calling it.

Don't forget, there are 2 other eye witnesses to this event. And photos with dates and GPS co-ordinates.

To the others on here, don't let others lead you astray, just do the right thing.

It is truly unfair what some do and then go on to brag about their finds on top of that. I thought that they had brought more inspectors into that area to stop that sort of thing. Greed seems to win out in the end.!! :N:

I meet people, I talk to people. And I met a nice old fella out there last time. He was a good bloke, and honest. Old school honest.
So my mate, myself and the old fella became mates. In the process we found we had something in common. We had both come across this same couple.
Now we both spoke of how polite this couple were, but we also both shared the same troubling views.

Then, when I told him about them inviting me to the Scientific Area, he told me exactly the same thing. And he said that they told him they were there camping as we spoke and getting gold from there. Well, I said I wanted to go there and catch them out, and that we did. And I was furious, it was a good thing they were not at their camp. They were out prospecting, and had a mate with them.

All in the photos, chainsaw in the back, staghorn in back of ute, cut timber around , a GPZ 7000 just laying on the ground under one of the utes/4x4. I was trying to call out, but the old fella didn't want to get involved in a scuffle or anything, god knows, they could have a gun, so I took photos and we left. People do stupid things.

Oh, and another point. I keep all my gold. I don't find gold for the money. Its great knowing it is worth money, but I do not look for it to sell it.
Those people do sell their gold, and they buy things for themselves. And making money off it no longer makes it a hobby really, but more of a job.

I'm for everyone getting gold.
I get just as excited when someone else finds gold as when I do.
But get your gold the honest way. It feels much better.

Good luck out there.
Warren from NQ Explorers recently found a nice patch with a couple others out there. So they are out there.

MikeB05 said:

Good luck!!
Hi Mike long time no see..Have you given the 7 mile digging a crack with your sdc :Y:

hAyyoUinAU said:
I meet people, I talk to people. And I met a nice old fella out there last time. He was a good bloke, and honest. Old school honest.
So my mate, myself and the old fella became mates. In the process we found we had something in common. We had both come across this same couple.
Now we both spoke of how polite this couple were, but we also both shared the same troubling views.

Then, when I told him about them inviting me to the Scientific Area, he told me exactly the same thing. And he said that they told him they were there camping as we spoke and getting gold from there. Well, I said I wanted to go there and catch them out, and that we did. And I was furious, it was a good thing they were not at their camp. They were out prospecting, and had a mate with them.

All in the photos, chainsaw in the back, staghorn in back of ute, cut timber around , a GPZ 7000 just laying on the ground under one of the utes/4x4. I was trying to call out, but the old fella didn't want to get involved in a scuffle or anything, god knows, they could have a gun, so I took photos and we left. People do stupid things.

Oh, and another point. I keep all my gold. I don't find gold for the money. Its great knowing it is worth money, but I do not look for it to sell it.
Those people do sell their gold, and they buy things for themselves. And making money off it no longer makes it a hobby really, but more of a job.

Good luck out there.
Warren from NQ Explorers recently found a nice patch with a couple others out there. So they are out there.
You were furious and it's a good thing they wernt at their camp....Maybe it was lucky for YOU they wernt there..Best not to take the laws into your own hands as you might end up crawling back to you car or worse ...If you feel the need to report them ...Report them..Be safe out there :Y:

Oh, and the Scientific Area I am talking of, is not a place you just accidently walk into.
It is on the other side of the fossicking zone, on the opposite side of the highway and clearly marked with big signs "Scientific Area - No Fossicking"
A person has to deliberately go out of there way to get there, and I was amazed at the cunningness.

Turning a blind eye isn't any better.

I will not be reporting them purely as I stated above. We have very few areas for public fossicking in South East QLD.

But I will speak out about it and hopefully maybe they will hear somehow and stop it.

What ever happened to Fair Dinkum.

Smoky bandit said:
hAyyoUinAU said:

Good luck out there.
You were furious and it's a good thing they wernt at their camp....Maybe it was lucky for YOU they wernt there..Best not to take the laws into your own hands as you might end up crawling back to you car or worse ...If you feel the need to report them ...Report them..Be safe out there :Y:

Thanks for the advice. lol
I don't think we were worried about "crawling back" to our car. lol

I didnt' report them for a simple and very good reason. For the rest of us.
But I won't stay quiet on the matter and only voiced it again because I thought it might of been the same couple. And maybe they will stop doing that.
Just maybe. Quit whilst you are ahead as they say.

I don't condone doing the wrong thing.I have some mates that go out there.And I don't go with them cause their loose cannons..If anyone started taking photos of them or stormed into their camp..You would be very ucky to crawl back to your car..Just trying to say be careful as you never know who or what your approaching.. ..Best just report them. :Y:

In the past the mod team have deleted posts like these accusing people of various things, this is not a site to make reports or accusations, it's not helpful to the hobby and not helpful to the forum. People break the law everywhere everyday, it's not up to the forum to be a platform for outting people doing the wrong thing.

Keep this in mind please fellas. :Y:

Gday Smokey...no mate have never been to 7 mile. Just bought a gold monster to complement my SDC...different technology and the GM does well from seeing it in action.

I am prepared to take it slowly and I always head out with low expectations...I dont get disappointed that way.

Look forward to catching up when I finish my work stint in Toowoomba.

MikeB05 said:
Gday Smokey...no mate have never been to 7 mile. Just bought a gold monster to complement my SDC...different technology and the GM does well from seeing it in action.

I am prepared to take it slowly and I always head out with low expectations...I dont get disappointed that way.

Look forward to catching up when I finish my work stint in Toowoomba.
Yes mate will be hitting DC and probs warrick a fair bit this winter..so sure we'll cross paths..I Want to give the nox a try in a few spots.:Y:Good luck with the monster :Y: :D

I am heading out to Durikai this weekend and staying at Glendon if anyone wants to catch up. Just PM me and I am happy to share the limited knowledge that I have

Regarding the 'scientific area' does the sign actually say 'no fossicking' ...cant recall seeing that but I could be wrong.

I was taken to this area and shown it by another bloke and we ran into heaps of people there ( and I do mean quite a lot!)..so there must be some misunderstanding about if its accessible or not.

I understand what hayyouinau is saying and his frustration and proposed intervention but would hate to see that sentiment turn into a new form of 'bush rage'. I cant imagine anything worse than blokes having verbal stouches or worse out in the bush. That shite aint worth it.

I agree with Heatho "this is not a site to make reports or accusations, it's not helpful to the hobby and not helpful to the forum. People break the law everywhere everyday, it's not up to the forum to be a platform for outing people doing the wrong thing."

Anyway I am looking forward to getting back into the designated area this weekend and hopefully meeting some great folks who are doing the right thing. The upsdiae, there are many doing the right thing.

Latest posts