Reedy Creek for Beginners

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All! I will be getting out to Reedy Creek in the coming weeks and would like to try my luck highbanking and panning for that beautiful flour gold that Reedy Creek is known for. I haven't had any experience on the creek before, having only prospected in the Gippsland region of Victoria and was therefore hoping that some generous, more experienced prospectors could point me in the right direction in terms of where to try my luck. I have done a bit of research already and have a few spots in mind, however if anyone had any tips/tricks/wisdom and areas they would recommend trying out, it would definitely help myself and any Reedy Creek newbies in the future! Cheers

Was a virtual newbie myself trying out Reedy Creek for the first time in many years last week with a small river sluice and panning. Starting from Eldorado followed the Wooragee Rd and hit the creek at Kangaroo crossing. Spent the day just above for a haul of small colours, didn’t even bother to weigh them. The road follows the approximate course of the creek and resolved to try a bit further upstream next time.
I have previously found gold at the Beechworth end so I think the gold extends along many km of the creek. I don’t think many would be willing to give too many details of their favourite spot, so I think it would be just a matter of finding a few spots where you can drive a bit close to the creek with your highbanker, picking a spot with a good supply of gravels and giving it a try. You will get something. Where we tried had a lot of boulders so would be hard work feeding the highbanker by digging material from under the boulders.

Hi All! I will be getting out to Reedy Creek in the coming weeks and would like to try my luck highbanking and panning for that beautiful flour gold that Reedy Creek is known for. I haven't had any experience on the creek before, having only prospected in the Gippsland region of Victoria and was therefore hoping that some generous, more experienced prospectors could point me in the right direction in terms of where to try my luck. I have done a bit of research already and have a few spots in mind, however if anyone had any tips/tricks/wisdom and areas they would recommend trying out, it would definitely help myself and any Reedy Creek newbies in the future! Cheers
Just keep walking the creek test panning along the way when you find a paying spot stay on it till you get it all and a yabby pump is a great tool and a crevice pump to get in between the rock cracks

Have only been to beechworth once panned in our last day. Would love to have stayed longer this is from one pan. Was sad to leave after finding that in one pan

Attachments

• 20230513_154214.jpg
    20230513_154214.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230513_165122.jpg
    20230513_165122.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts