Cheap metal detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 10% ,.... you do me great honors DD,... you can have my 10% and just use it for PR or R&D or The Old Retirement Fund for displaced detectorists,... I hope you get filthy rich and have to push heaps of money off the seat just to get in your car(ha) :D

One turned up on our doorstep today.
Xmas present for some (Un? ) lucky family member.
At first I was a little angry, now I'm just curious to see how it goes.

The publican at the pub I go to at Inverell had one exactly the same, seemed to work quite well, we waved a few cpoins over it in the bar and it's at least as good as the aldi, probably better as it has more controls. It's pretty good for $100.

Would like to give one a go on a park.

It will pick up the 2 dollar coins i buried in the backyard at 6" for the grandkids to find,The yard is very quite ground though,It will pick up my 1.5 gram test nugget in the air as well.

Goldtarget said:
One turned up on our doorstep today.
Xmas present for some (Un? ) lucky family member.
At first I was a little angry, now I'm just curious to see how it goes.

Just remember it's the thought that counts mate ;)

Looking into buying a cheap detector just too run across the backyard try find some coins or what might be close too the top and at least get me started on detecting.. So I wanted to hear if anyone knows or has anything half reliable, only want too spend around $100 or under, I seen some good things about the Aldi detectors so I thought I could possibly get something similar to that.. I doubt Aldi still has them for sale though.

I did find that Jaycar had a very basic one from 50 then to abit more advanced at 130, I have seen that ebay does have a few listed also ranging in different prices. I do know they are defiantly not going to be near the quality of something 1-2k + range, but I only want to get started and I'd be happy with something very basic.

Cheers
Cody

The Aldi comes on sale a couple of times a year. Maybe loom at the 2nd hand detectors. Garrett Ace 150 or 250. Minelab Xterra 305. They are starter detectors but not toys. Some forum members do very well with them.

I was a bit suspicious on the $50 Jay car, don't know if I would risk spending the extra on there more advance ones and the same with the eBay ones.

The only thing having me lead towards the aldi one is most people have had there's pay for its self.. If I seen a certain ebay or other brand for around the $100 having the same reputation I'd go for it... Might even have too enquire at my local aldi when they might be making a come back ;)

Cheers
Cody

Oh, hi! Ive been using the Jaycar QP-2301 for the last few months, and it IS pretty awful- discrimination is terrible, it sounds off whenever I hit a tuft of grass, and the adjustable shaft is held together with duct tape because the adjusting nut is rubbish. Plus it became intermittently unresponsive sometimes; and I have had to give it a love-tap to get it working again. It's really only good for coins down to 75 mm or so in real-world conditions; although it will find large objects much deeper.

I have found pennies, shillings, threepence etc dating from 1877 which is pretty good for my part of Victoria, as well as a gold ring and silver cutlery- so it does the job if there is something to find.

Buy it if you're desperate- but Aldi will be selling their detectors again in December, so it might pay to wait.

Cheers, guys.

Might just give the $50 jaycar a go, just too get my detector fix and get me started in till the Aldi ones come available again or find something equivalent.

3 month warranty on it, so would defiantly be a hit and miss with them.. But as long as it does it job finding coins/small metals on surface and if lucky up to 4" under I'll be happy with it in till I upgrade..

Cheers
Cody

genetics eurotek pro ,works like a dream,I recharge normal alkaline batteries,I hate to say it but it worked better than my at pro in salty mineralized ground,

theluckyone said:
Buy it if you're desperate- but Aldi will be selling their detectors again in December, so it might pay to wait.

Has it been confirmed that Aldi are selling them in December? I contacted them last week but haven't heard back yet...

I messaged them through Facebook and they replied saying they will be back in their January catalog, but not a set date they could give me.. So just keep on checking up from now on as they could bring them just before Christmas or after? So they sure are coming back! ;)

Cheers

Cody

Can't see anything in the catalog up to the 23rd - but no doubt there will be plenty of warning from people on this forum - like last year!
Found a 1946 Florin today with my scrapheap Jaycar detector after six months of searching - the detector is more reliable in hot dry conditions somehow, and works best in sand loam soils.
I'm stunned that I've finally found the Holy Grail, LOL!

I'd reccomend a coinmaster or similar old vlf mate. You can get them under $100 ..even under $50 sometimes. This detector Goldpick has lent me is a rippa and not too expensive either and I'd reccomend them for that little bit more money. Its a garrett ace 250.

Latest posts