Cheap metal detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 505 has more coil and frequency choices, greater ground balance range, increased target resolution, expanded tone range, increased target ID resolution, and more noise cancel settings.

The 305 is limited to only a mid and high frequency coils, whereas the 505 can run the full range of 7 coils and all frequencies.

Funny thing is you don't hear a hell of a lot from 505 users, they seem to either opt for the cheaper 305, or go straight to the 705 with auto ground tracking and greater ability on gold.

If you do go for something for the kids and wife, ensure that you get something that is not too complicated - pretty much a switch on and go unit, otherwise they may get a bit lost or lose interest with the plethora of settings that exist on the x-terras.

The Minelab Go-find series might also be worth considering, whilst capable detectors, they are more directed at kids and first time users, the x-terras are more of a mid-range detector. The Go-Finds are true turn on and go detectors, very easy to operate, and easily adjusted to suit the kids height/arm length, whilst can be quickly readjusted to adult height, and don't cost an arm and a leg. Personally I don't believe they will out perform the x-terras, but the trade off on ease of use might make it a better option. :)

If you decide on the Minelab detectors Anaconda
generally has these on special. Very good
Savings can be had.

If you buy a Tesoro compadre 2nd hand you should
find a good unit for around the $200 mark.

yeh i think your best bet would probably be a minelab 505 then if you decide you want a back up detector the minelab 505 has some extra options and its a pretty user friendly detector i used to have one .but also the go finds are suppose to be pretty good little detectors for the price .

Compadre if you can find one
Switch and go machine no fiddling simple to use
And light weight for the kids to swing but don't underestimate its hidden powers

If you want some visual displays Go the garrett ace range or tecknetics range for simple use

Hi mate,

Like others have said, have a crack at tightening the cable so it sits tight against the shaft. If the cable moves in relation to the shaft, such as when you bump the detector, it will give off a signal. I use velcro on mine to hold it tight also.

Hi shortlife,have a look at the minelab go find series's prices are good reviews on the net good also, I have just purchased the 60 and I'm very happy with it. Great for the the wife and kids. Cheers.

Any of these kid friendly detectors good on small gold and shot lead? Im after something for my 10 year old suitable for the vic goldfields not beaches. My thoughts were to locate targets with my sdc2300 dig them out and let my son sift through the dirt and find it with his own machine.

Cheers,

Brad.

So iv been looking and it seems even the 505 is no good for gold. Looking to spend around 500 mark, wanting it for gold and beach work too

Goldpick said:
The 505 has more coil and frequency choices, greater ground balance range, increased target resolution, expanded tone range, increased target ID resolution, and more noise cancel settings.

The 305 is limited to only a mid and high frequency coils, whereas the 505 can run the full range of 7 coils and all frequencies.

Funny thing is you don't hear a hell of a lot from 505 users, they seem to either opt for the cheaper 305, or go straight to the 705 with auto ground tracking and greater ability on gold.

If you do go for something for the kids and wife, ensure that you get something that is not too complicated - pretty much a switch on and go unit, otherwise they may get a bit lost or lose interest with the plethora of settings that exist on the x-terras.

The Minelab Go-find series might also be worth considering, whilst capable detectors, they are more directed at kids and first time users, the x-terras are more of a mid-range detector. The Go-Finds are true turn on and go detectors, very easy to operate, and easily adjusted to suit the kids height/arm length, whilst can be quickly readjusted to adult height, and don't cost an arm and a leg. Personally I don't believe they will out perform the x-terras, but the trade off on ease of use might make it a better option. :)
Yeah, go find 40 would be the go..

Braddo said:
Any of these kid friendly detectors good on small gold and shot lead? Im after something for my 10 year old suitable for the vic goldfields not beaches. My thoughts were to locate targets with my sdc2300 dig them out and let my son sift through the dirt and find it with his own machine.

Cheers,

Brad.
Maybe something in the Tersoro range , they are pretty sensitive machines .

Latest posts