Beach Detecting Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at the surf cams on Coastal Watch http://www.coastalwatch.com (state by state menu on the left), that way you can keep an eye on the beach from the comfort of your computer chair :lol:

Good luck with it mate.

Nugget.

Last week at the beach I was getting just junk in the flatter ares,
then moved along to a very long rosion section which was about
2m high, found $5 in about 10 mins just walking along that section.

Will go back and finish it off after this weeks storms and swells,
all the coins were no further than 2m out from the eroded wall
of sand. All the smaller junk like foil seemed to have washed away.

Hi All,
It would be appreciated, if those out there with "The Knowledge" could give me the benefit of their experience, I have the AT Pro,but I want to buy a "PI" detector specifically for the beach, including shallow water, I have limited resources, so have been looking at the, Tesero Sand Shark, Garrett Sea Hunter MK11 & the White's PI Dual Field, but my choice is definitely not limited to these, so please feel free to have your say, whether it is good, bad, or otherwise, thanking you in advance.

Hi Gadget man

Have you considered an Infinium LS. I just picked one up and I'm still very much an L plater :). I have found a few coins and a ton of junk at the local parks.
I'm waiting on a smaller coil to arrive so I can have a muck around on the bed rock in the creeks and it'll make things a bit easier at the park with all the junk.
I've heard a lot of positives and a lot of negatives about them so far so good, they also have waterproof coils. Hopefully some more experienced members can help you out.

Cheers

C&L

Hi Colin&Lee, Thanks for that, yes I have considered them, jury is still out, same as the others I mentioned, it will be good if those in the know will give me the heads up.

GM45 I run a a whites dual field on the beach and in shallow water, the coils on theses things are big and a little practice to pinpoint with but let me tell you you can cover some ground with it and man they go deep so be prepared to dig. Not much use in the park but can recommend for the beach. The good thing I have found is that they are just as good dry as when it's wet. The only downfall is that if there is a lot of junk about its hard to pinpoint each item with such a big coil. If you get a dual field get a good scoop cause will will be digging. Just my two cents worth.
Cheers
Skip

Colin&Lee,hereskip,the duck,
Thanks very much, your answers & tips, are very much appreciated.

G'day

Look at a C-Scope CS4PI. I just sold one and have another im keepng. Purely beach dedicated PI and you won't get more bang for your buck.

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy said:
G'day

Look at a C-Scope CS4PI. I just sold one and have another im keepng. Purely beach dedicated PI and you won't get more bang for your buck.

Cheers

Chimpy

Cheers Chimpy, seeing as they are a relative unknown, (to me anyway), I didn't give them much thought, but will be sure to take a look now.

Hi all.Since I got my detector I've really enjoyed detecting at the beach.I'm curious as to which area on the beach people are having most luck getting finds - on top/behind dunes,bottom of dunes,middle of beach,low tide area,in the water,in front of SLSC,flag areas?Beaches tend to be such large areas that narrowing down the productive zones would be great and the advice would begreat to share with others,especially newbies that may be daunted by large expanses of sand or give up due to lack of finding things.

Near the surf clubs are usually good, in the lower spots are usually best I find, low tide I reckon is best too. After storms if there is erosion go along the eroded section. The South East facing beaches down here get eroded the most in big swells, sometimes there is a 2m cliff of sand and all the goodies are at the bottom of that, most of the light rubbish like foil gets washed out to sea as well.

Hi everyone,

I have a Garrett Ace 250 and have been using it on the beach for the past month or so now. I usually go out for a detect every couple days or so. I have not done badly by any means, up to about 80 coins totalling around $28 as well as a couple small bits of jewellery with what I presume are fake diamonds/cubic zirconia inside (value?).

I am mainly hunting the stretch of sand between the local park and the beach, where people must walk through in order to get to the beach so it is probably the highest traffic area at my local beach and not surprisingly yields the most finds.

But as far as being able to predict where stuff gets accumulated in the sand and what spots are likely to have stuff buried in them I do not really have a clue. What things should I be looking for when hunting at the beach? Where do all the jewellery/coins accumulate due to the shifting and changing levels of sand (in a matter of days the level of sand at my beach can drop many metres, does this inhibit finding stuff)? Should I be hunting along the shoreline?

What I really want to find is diamond jewellery, real not fake. Where would you say most jewellery is found? I tried hunting the flags area, where people leave their stuff when they go for a swim, but only found a couple really old 10 cent pieces and a pair of broken prescription glasses.

Would appreciate any tips with regards to 'how to read the beach' and where to hunt in places where stuff is likely accumulated. Cheers.

Hi Mate, have a look at my answer to the same question posed by Paleoworld-101 in the coin detecting forum.
Ron

Thanks for the advice guys - I really enjoy being on the beach early morning and late evening (fresh air,tranquillity,not too many people around,spotting dolphins/whales) and it's even better if you find a few treasures.I'm going out first thing in the morning (after the week-end),so I want to try more specific areas rather than just a haphazard wander.Cheers.

I tell you mate,walk ways to and from the most popular spots.also pay attention to what has been washed away,dunes etc,I've recently found a six pence and 2 x three pence and 1 penny from where a dune had been hit with a stormy swell, and washed away and collapsed.also a beach I first went to not long back,got a few coins then,,went back after a storm found 8$ in coinage in about a 10 meter stretch of beach!!just get out There I recon is the best advice tho,,! ;)

Went to a local beach this morning with the old man as the digger (which the shovel proved to work well with the pointed end) for an hour and managed to find a 1952 three pence amongst the crap
21D773A1-C9B7-451B-8107-9392556DB1B7-4533-000006F42782D87C_zpse76e4bc0.jpg

CDF3CC05-94E5-4FA4-A328-00BAB904CEF1-4533-000006F47110CA80_zps0fdc5965.jpg

I have a question about getting good ground balance in the wet sand. Had no issues in the dry but soon as I hit the water, not matter how many times i balanced it was giving me false signals left right and centre using the 7.5 stock round coil. Anyone can tell me how to get around this?

which beach you hit? I was going to try a beach this week some time. Also I cant see what detector your using? might help people answer your gb issue.

ANGRE7 said:
which beach you hit? I was going to try a beach this week some time. Also I cant see what detector your using? might help people answer your gb issue.

I'm using an xterra 705 gold pack but not using the dd coil, the stock round coil

Latest posts