Beach Detecting Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try using the DD coil and ground balance beach, that should help a far bit. I have seen people use the coil tek wot coils also on the xterra. A good fellow to talk to is Ivanii, i have seen him some where on this forum. He is a experienced 705 beach user...roscoe

Thanks for the info roscoe, funny you should mention that type of coil as I won one on eBay today :)

What frequency is the coil sa_bogan? I know for sure x-terra users use them all the time on the beach. I am not to sure, but i think they may use prospecting mode for extra depth.

Try DD - prospecting mode - iron discriminator on, not all metals. switch tracking on, sensitivity flat out.

Roscoe - it was a 7.5 coil using beach ground balance. I was going to use the DD but thought having the larger coil might cover a bit more ground. Cheers again mate

Loamer- I thought that coin mode would be better than the prospecting mode on the beach? I had iron discrim on and sensitivity on 27 with the threshold around 10. When I went to the wet sand I had to reduce the sensitivity as it was chirping on every swing. Can you use discrimination in prospecting mode?

Thanks mate, I have been reading the book but didnt think to use prospecting mode at the beach. The book also recommends half sensitivity on the beach, but will definitely try your suggestion first :)

Went out again this morning somewhere closer and was having the same chirping issues even with you recommendations on the wet sand. Prospecting mode in the dry sand was great even though it was all rubbish today. I then bumped into this bloke with a minelab 3030 and was able to give me some help with the settings. Turns out the threshold was playing with the sound, so I turned it down a little and it worked really well even with sensitivity at 25

Yep you guessed it. I drink many energy drinks so i was able to ID this pretty quick :)

Heading down to a Melbourne-ish beach for a few days with a mate, finally get to do some beach detecting, YAY!!! (I've been waiting sooo long to do this)

When I got the x-terra, I promised it would pay for itself, so I'm hoping with one find of a decent piece of jewellery, or an old coin or two, maybe this could happen.

Wish me luck!

I'll post pics or vids, if I....wait....WHEN I, have some success. ;)

Cheers, Paul.

Thanks guys, I m heading down Torquay way, I know it will be rightly hammered, but there's always hope! ;)

Cheers, Paul.

Ok, update time.

Went to Lorne for a few days, thought I would get lots of beach detecting done, HOWEVER, as Murphy's law dictates, rain would would come into play, big time.

So only got half a days worth of detecting in, got so much rubbish, and $17.80 in coin, a couple of earrings, a necklace (value=$0), and what appears to be some sort of old sinker, not made of lead, but brass it seems. Only got a fraction of the main beach covered! I reckon I could've easily topped $100 in coin.

But a good time was had, a lot of cafe's were visited, coffees consumed, until the rain got so heavy that the waterproof tent became not so waterproof, forcing us to pack up a night early and head home.

No regrets though, and can't wait to go back to a beach.

P.s. I can't even imagine how much money must be buried at beaches around this country?!

Cheers, paul. :D

Nice finds there Paul.

The sinker is a weird one, not seen one like that before, but looks like it is meant to be used for beach fishing
Pity about the weather,, but the main thing is you where getting out there and relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Gary ;)

Latest posts