Opinions on a new detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi prospecting Australians.
I live in North Queensland near a couple of beaches so thinking of doing some beach detecting and maybe park/ other stuff in future and also some gold detecting in future.
It would be my first time detecting or having anything to do with prospecting. Just wondered if anyone has had much experience/ feedback with the nokta legend pro pack witht he new LG 30 12 x 9-inch coil and the current LG 15 6-inch coil. It's within my price range at the moment and the other contender is the minelab nox 800. But I wouldn't be able to go to the nox 900 at the moment. These are the two that I think would be good as multi-purpose, jack of all trades masters of none type detectors for the price point. Opinions on owned/ comparisons would be very welcome and thanks in advance 😀

Always do your research, and buy what YOU can afford. Detecting is like riding a bike, we all start out with the wobbles and dont know where to ride at first, but with time comes better performance and better kit. Dont expect it to be easy......you have to put the hard yards in, but just keep plugging away and you will be right. Best of luck......the first time you find some yellow is the best

Always do your research, and buy what YOU can afford. Detecting is like riding a bike, we all start out with the wobbles and dont know where to ride at first, but with time comes better performance and better kit. Dont expect it to be easy......you have to put the hard yards in, but just keep plugging away and you will be right. Best of luck......the first time you find some yellow is the best
Thanks Fred much appreciated. That's a very good analogy and yes, looking forward to that 1st bit of yellow down the track :)

Hi prospecting Australians.
I live in North Queensland near a couple of beaches so thinking of doing some beach detecting and maybe park/ other stuff in future and also some gold detecting in future.
It would be my first time detecting or having anything to do with prospecting. Just wondered if anyone has had much experience/ feedback with the nokta legend pro pack witht he new LG 30 12 x 9-inch coil and the current LG 15 6-inch coil. It's within my price range at the moment and the other contender is the minelab nox 800. But I wouldn't be able to go to the nox 900 at the moment. These are the two that I think would be good as multi-purpose, jack of all trades masters of none type detectors for the price point. Opinions on owned/ comparisons would be very welcome and thanks in advance 😀
Well I just purchased one to detect around the very trashy ground in the Whipstick. I had viewed many comparisons on youtube. Ordered it and I am surprised how robust the build is! I have had the Nox 800 a few years ago and it was good but comparing the two the Nokta wins in build quality. I have not compared the 900 only the 800. I have tried it on the weekend and in gold mode it was like a monster. It worked very well for the price. cheers

Well I just purchased one to detect around the very trashy ground in the Whipstick. I had viewed many comparisons on youtube. Ordered it and I am surprised how robust the build is! I have had the Nox 800 a few years ago and it was good but comparing the two the Nokta wins in build quality. I have not compared the 900 only the 800. I have tried it on the weekend and in gold mode it was like a monster. It worked very well for the price. cheers
Thanks so much Harry. Wonderful to know that and appreciate your time and opinion. I wouldnt like to think of how much time I've spent on youtube looking at the nokta/ 800/ 900. And also checked out the stuff kiwifred and grubstake sent and they were good comparisons too. But I think value for what I can spend (have other responsibilities/ costs), the nokta seems the best. Funny thing, I'd been saving for just over 2 years for an xbox series x gaming console but something switched when I saw 1 prospecting video online, then another, then another. I then I thought gee It'd be great to get some more fresh air, be a bit more active, hopefully down the track get my kids involved and have a hobby I can take with me pretty much anywhere 😊. Cheers again Harry.

Just remember it is a hobby for most of us, we do not expect the retirement nugget (but you can hope) getting out and finding or not finding things is what we do. Buy what you can afford and enjoy. The nox 900 is probably better but bang for bucks. There is no merit in buying a gpz for nearly 10k if you are starting out. You may decide you dont like it and take up knitting. cheers and good luck. There are some really good deals out there atm $1199 gets you a lot. I was surprised at how sensitive the gold mode was especially with a small coil. cheers

Thanks for the info Harry and yeah, definitely understand that it should be a hobby and to that end I'm thinking of a dual purpose/ in case I want to do this or that with it down the track. But certainly have no delusions of grandeur and am thinking that the common factor in the majority of days out may be that I detect only a rusty screw for the outing ha ha. But in that I'm also interested in the getting outdoors for some more fresh air and having something fun to do while out there.
Yes definitely don't want a pi machine or anything til quite a bit into the future if at all. Beaches will be my starting point I think. And yes for the $1199 mark and a screen protector. I should have all I need for a bit into the future.
That's great hearing about the small coil if I move inland to detect down the track. Cheers mate and much appreciated

Tried the Nokta today on the gold function and worked well on very small nuggets normally in the relm of the the monster. The 6000 found these nuggets and the Nokta also sounded off in gold mode. I was a little surprised. It would be interesting to compare the nox 900.
Which Nokta model.? Do you mean the Nokta Gold Kruzer was better than the 800.? The Garrett 24K is supposed to be a very top gold VLF.

Tried the Nokta today on the gold function and worked well on very small nuggets normally in the relm of the the monster. The 6000 found these nuggets and the Nokta also sounded off in gold mode. I was a little surprised. It would be interesting to compare the nox 900.
Yeah that's true, would be interesting. That's great if you're getting similar performance to the Goldmonster on the small nuggs. I think it's reinforcing the nokta legend as a good low end all round first weapon of choice for me ha ha. It's good to hear really recent reviews as well. Because I've heard with some updates that come along, machine behaviour and refinement can change too. I was watching a lot of comparisons on youtube over the last couple of months but most of them have been over a year ago (pre LG 30 nokta coil, full carbon shaft and v1.11 firmware update etc.).

Yeah that's true, would be interesting. That's great if you're getting similar performance to the Goldmonster on the small nuggs. I think it's reinforcing the nokta legend as a good low end all round first weapon of choice for me ha ha. It's good to hear really recent reviews as well. Because I've heard with some updates that come along, machine behaviour and refinement can change too. I was watching a lot of comparisons on youtube over the last couple of months but most of them have been over a year ago (pre LG 30 nokta coil, full carbon shaft and v1.11 firmware update etc.).
Running full carbon shaft and version 1.11 firmware.the build quality is great, I was surprised at the quality of signal coming out of a very trashy area separating a spoon and bullets between cans and other rubbish. I am not saying it is better than the nox 900 but certainly an option at a significantly cheaper price with spare battery in the kit. Viewing comparisons it appears to compete and sometimes surpass. It is an option to get you out bush enjoying life at a lower cost. Taking beach detecting on the weekend so I will give it a good go. cheers

Running full carbon shaft and version 1.11 firmware.the build quality is great, I was surprised at the quality of signal coming out of a very trashy area separating a spoon and bullets between cans and other rubbish. I am not saying it is better than the nox 900 but certainly an option at a significantly cheaper price with spare battery in the kit. Viewing comparisons it appears to compete and sometimes surpass. It is an option to get you out bush enjoying life at a lower cost. Taking beach detecting on the weekend so I will give it a good go. cheers
Hey Harry, did you manage to get to the beach the other week with the legend? If so, did it perform well mate? Thanks

Hey Harry, did you manage to get to the beach the other week with the legend? If so, did it perform well mate? Thanks
Went really well. Found a few coins, bangle and a bullet. First time out and only out for about two hours. I was really surprised how well it went and all targets were very loud and between 8 and 10 inches down. Very easy to setup ( I just turned it on and put into beach mode). Real value for money and the build quality was great.
I actually took it up with me to detect some really trashy areas the gpx6000 struggles and found a nugget I dropped a few years ago and could not find it. The nokta found it and grunted at all the rubbish. I was very surprised. The gold mode with the small coil runs well but only found a dropped nugget. But still love my gpx6000 however, the Nokta now comes with me. cheers hopes it help. But for $1200 it is very good value for money and loads of extras for your money.

Went really well. Found a few coins, bangle and a bullet. First time out and only out for about two hours. I was really surprised how well it went and all targets were very loud and between 8 and 10 inches down. Very easy to setup ( I just turned it on and put into beach mode). Real value for money and the build quality was great.
I actually took it up with me to detect some really trashy areas the gpx6000 struggles and found a nugget I dropped a few years ago and could not find it. The nokta found it and grunted at all the rubbish. I was very surprised. The gold mode with the small coil runs well but only found a dropped nugget. But still love my gpx6000 however, the Nokta now comes with me. cheers hopes it help. But for $1200 it is very good value for money and loads of extras for your money.

That's fantastic news Harry. Really good to hear it works well on the beach (and that it found that old nugget)!
Yes, I'm sure the 6000 would well win out when purposefully gold detecting only, and I hope it would for the price 😄 difference. But yes a massive help thanks. I think that the legend is going to be the starting one for me. I'm in the Townsville region and I'm getting keen. Have called council and there are 4 or 5 parks that have no detecting whatsoever, which I can understand. The others he said no excavation allowed, so can't even dig and plug. Only surface finds or things I can scratch on the surface with fingers/gloves (probably would check sand pits at most) 🙄. So I think my best chance of land areas around might be just asking for permissions.
Have modified an anaconda plastic beach scoop into one with pvc handle and hoping it will work well if I look after it. One of those cheaper gp pointers, (which I've siliconed up a bit and added o-rings to the end of. Still wont be waterproof, but at least more likely to survive), and a finds bag. Already have some trowels/ a shovel/ plastic hand scoop and scraping tool for land stuff down the track. Only thing to get (and not urgent for me as inland stuff might be a ways away (haven't even got the detector yet 😆)) to complete what I think I might need, is a detectors pick. My dad owned his own stainless/ aluminium and 4wd centre for 30 years. So going to pick his brain today hopefully about that one (what would take me a few days he would work out how to do in a few hours ha ha😄). But again, thanks Harry for the info very good to know mate and cheers.

Hi guys I appreciate the help and I now officially have my first detector. Can't wait to get started 😄. Thanks again sincerely for your input guys. 😀👍

Nokta legend lg30 pro pack and some extras.

Attachments

• 16919875935223705198197845786349.jpg
    16919875935223705198197845786349.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 16919887422702474964041674639245.jpg
    16919887422702474964041674639245.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
Hi guys I appreciate the help and I now officially have my first detector. Can't wait to get started 😄. Thanks again sincerely for your input guys. 😀👍

Nokta legend lg30 pro pack and some extras.
Well done. Check out a few of the help videos. Runs well and You cannot believe how light it is and how sensitive. cheers

Latest posts