Beach Detecting Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave14110

David Gothard
Reaction score
I have tried a beach near me a few times but with limited results I think this beach has very soft sand & believe most valuables sinks to far to detect with the xterra i was using. this beach should have good stuff it gets packed during hot days. I have thought of trying this beach with the GP extreme. What is your thoughts on this or do you suggest just finding other beaches.

Keep at it. If there are coins there the xterra should find them. There is a couple near me that detect the beach I often go to using Minelab GPX4000's. I dont think they have much more luck then I do and I only use an ACE250 on the beach. Some days I will do the most popular beach here after a hot day and still have no luck :rolleyes:

I love the beach, i left the coast 5 years ago and moved inland by nearly 400km, now i moved back to the beach in Tasmania, 600 metres from home. I love the beach, glad i back near one.
Today went to a popular beach 10km south of home, had lunch with family, did a hour or so with Teknetics T2 Ltd detector and using the 15 inch Teknetics coil on it. Wonderful coil, but as i am saying to a few people when you down on the beach use a 15 inch coil on what ever machine you have, gives wider coverage and deeper finds than the stock standard 11 inch coils that most machines come out with.
Today was a great sun tan session, found 4 bobby pins, 4 tent pegs, a couple dollars worth of coins which did not cover the $22 lunch but still a wonderful day in the sun.
IMG_2368_zpsf2fc5a6d.jpg

In this photo i was actually trying to retrieve my child from the surf, but that sand scoop made by a man in Rockingham WA is a one of a kind, but apart from weight is a excellent scoop to drag behind you, leaves a grid pattern that shows where i been.
DSC08667_zpsc9d2dfc7.jpg

the finds minus all the tent pegs which i donated to other tent users on the beach and the trash including bobby pins went into the bin
[youtube]qE_MJnLijOk[/youtube]

Good video TJ, what part of the NW are you in, up Wynyard way or further west towards Stanley, the beach's are so much cleaner there then here, cant wait to get back :D

Wynyard is my town, the beaches in this town are basalt rocks and hardly any sand except low tide.

I thought it was Wynyard way ;) That beach in your video looks amazing,
I had half a dozen people believing it was in the tropics :D

Jack that would be perfect if it is most basalt rocks with only some sand. It means anything lost will never sink beyond detector range like on most beaches.

Hi all

Totally new to this detector lark. When you detect a beach are you down near the water or up around the grass areas?

We went out on the weekend and just found rubbish uo in the dune grass area.

Also how do you know if you can put your coil into water?

Hi Pauly , the general idea is to detect where people congregate . The more chance that you will find someones losses. Most coils are not waterproof, unless specified that they are , is the safest way of thinking.

Cheers Paul

I usually watch coastal cams for a couple of days leading up to a hunt www.coastalwatch.com as it helps to identify possible hotspots. As far as the tides and sand flow etc goes I have no idea. I just turn on and start swinging, it's worked for me so far :lol:

Pauly, unless you"re working a beach that has had recent storm damage, work the area's most frequented by people first, when that starts to fail go to the other areas!

That makes sense. Blackies beach is pretty baron most of the time but ill try down near the flags next time.

As scoopa said, storm damage is something to look for. In cases where huge sections of sand are washed away , its exposing history. Dont know if you have seen a show on cable , where these 2 guys in ths states , do exactly that and pull antique jewelry & coins at least 100 years old from the now exposed sand

Pauly. The mxt pro coil can go in the water, I'm not so sure about the head unit though?

Im pretty sure the head unit couldnt go in the water, it dosnt appear to be sealed. I have a 14" dd coil and another one that I dont know what it is, its an oval one. I guess I should research what they are and what they do lol.

I usually look at the main sunbaking area and if i'm not in the mood or don't have time to grid the area i'll look for disturbed areas. ( can mean they dropped something and tried looking ) otherwise after a few times on the area you'll start to recognise the low areas where sand has been washed away and then start hunting the most trafficked areas in those spots.. As i've learnt the best way to hunt a beach is wait for a storm or high-tide to erode the beach a bit then start from the eroded bank and grid from the dunes down to the water

I am looking at giving the Gold coast beaches a go next week. With all the storm damage of late, has anyone done any good. This will be my first real try.Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Everyone!

I'm going to Wollongong today & am going to have a bit of a swing down one of the beaches if weather permits :)

I have not gone to the beach before for prospecting & have a quick question for anyone who may know:

Is it a matter of finding the gold where it was dropped or does it get pulled out with the tide & get deposited on the outer side of where the rip was or the rocks off to the side etc..

Cheers, Matt!

Gold jewellery is quite heavy and tends to sink quicker than other types of jewellery, so most of it will still be sitting at the lowest point (bed rock, condensed clay or whatever it may be) where it was first dropped. But over time due to the natural erosion process, jewellery can work its way down into low lying traps, pockets etc with much of it eventually making it's way out to sea. It can take years and years for this to happen and will vary from beach to beach.

You can learn a lot by studying the beach after a big coastal storm, high seas etc, looking for low points and indicators of where jewellery might end up.

I usually keep an eye on coastal cams for a couple of days prior to heading out and mainly target high traffic areas rather than studying the coastline which can be a bit hit and miss. Though I have heard of guys doing quite well using this method so it's probably worth looking into some more if you have the time.

Nugget.

Cheers Nugget.

I don't live close enough to a beach to have a 'regular' just pack the detector in the car on days when I need to do something else that takes me to an area.

Hopefully a Nice White Gold Ring with a few Carats of Flawless Princess Cut Diamond will show up. Not too much to ask is it? :D

Latest posts