Beach Detecting Information and Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find mate! Shame it started to rain. I am looking forward to some beach detecting myself, once I get a hold of a detector that is! :p

Could someone please advise me as to which section beach detecting comes under on the designated titles please ,as there is no real mention of this field of detecting , cheers apologies if I come across as a schmuck!!!

What detector works well with salt water and black sand at the beach ?

Thanks trenchfighter ,pricerange seems high for no lcd display ,but 65m underwater sounds good. How deep do crocs swim(haha).

Thanks Duck , I might have to keep an eye out on all the detectors at the beach and see if I can get to see one in action.

You can add the ATX to the list. I have not been finding much on the beaches around me but what I have been finding is down deep where other detectors dont see. There are a lot of retirees with detectors down here.
I went out for a swing at Culbura yesterday afternoon hoping to find a watch that a friend lost but I think its in deep water. Anyway the beach was pretty clean for the amount of people that were on this beach in the last few weeks. I managed to find $2:70 in spendibles, fish hooks that no one else would like to find in their arse, the odd wire, a hot wheels car in good nick oh and a lead split shot spill at around 300mm deep (6 in total).
So today I popped a pain killer for the sore back and about to call my mate and tell him to get out the scuba gear to find his watch unless somebody has already picked it up.
Another good day at the office.

The sea hunter would probably work like my cheap black one (no screen to go on). The ATX Looks maybe alright, how does that compare with the 250 in the field ?(beach and park)

silver said:
The sea hunter would probably work like my cheap black one (no screen to go on). The ATX Looks maybe alright, how does that compare with the 250 in the field ?(beach and park)
Oh they are so far apart. Definitely chalk and cheese.
The Ace 250 is great for the park and dry sand at the beach. The ATX, well, what can I say, digging 18" in sand is ok but in the park? Not a chance.
The ATX finds stuff deep down in the sand that other detectors never get the chance to see. It behaves well in salt or fresh water although nobody mentioned how hard it can be trying to balance in the shallows with a big detector in one hand and a big green MF shovel in the other with waves lapping at your knees.
All good fun!

Thanks John, a Bit expensive for me, maybe the Garrett At pro would Be my next one as It doesn't matter if I'm out in the rain getting soaked (soft dirt). I haven't yet had the privilege of being thrown about by the waves (ripple detecting only), although I must say there certainly would be some nice beach artefacts at the depth your talking with the ATX. I've learnt how to get in the water up to my neck and dig targets with my sand scoop held with my foot through the handle(hurts a bit on the foot), someone should invent a handle for use with feet, that feels great . Lots of sinkers and a few bits of everything else show up.(That was when the Black Underwater Detector actually worked properly) luckily it paid for the ACE 250 before it got chatty.

I have a question on protocols relating to finds and clean ups on beaches.
Being a newbie to this this year (thanks to aldi) I initially had some success in fishing areas and thought I'd try the beach next picking a somewhat isolated spot locally which still gets about 100 people a day so not to be too much bother or curiosity. After about 2 hours I gave up feeling very disponendent ( just doing the towel sitting areas) with my treasure comprising $1.30 made up of various coins the biggest being a dollar coin. The coins were in a very corroded state barely legible which made me think they had been there for quite some time. I started to think you have to get to these places pretty damn early but along with this meager treasure I found dozens of bottle tops, tent pegs, wire broken toys. This made me think otherwise as surely other beach treasure hunters would have filled their bags with this junk disposing of it later and not left it there.
Is this the case with everyone.. disposing of it thoughtfully?
So I'm thinking its all about numbers and probablity coupled with doing the other areas on the beach. Having said that still an enjoyable afternoon out.

Some people discriminate and leave all junk i have one old fellow near me that only takes coins and leaves everything else in situ there a lot of people out there doing the wrong thing really all we can do is promote and do the right thing and fill in holes and take the junk home

Some detectorists are only interested in gold coins on the beach, so most of the junk, plus five & ten cent coins are left behind as they are being discriminated out. With discrimination being so good on detectors these days, you really can effectively weed out the good from the bad targets, so it's not that they are digging up junk and leaving it there, more like not digging it in the first place.

To be effective, you really need to work a small area, and grid it up to cover all the ground - use your foot marks as a marker of where you have been (great if the sand has recently be rained on), or drag something behind you. Checking towel marks are great, but often people will get up and shake their towels off, throwing stuff a fair way from the original spot.

When I use my Infinium, you can leave a certain amount of junk in the ground, mostly iron targets, but still have to dig other junk like aluminium and bottle caps. Best time to go detecting is in the evening after a hot day, early morning would probably be too late. Don't limit yourself to just the most popular areas, many detectorists will have likely to have already cleaned the area out.

Don't get too dejected over finding just a few coins, afterall, the Aldi detector would not be the deepest seeking detector in the world, so it is likely that you will be struggling to pickup anything beyond 5-6" down, and especially hard if coins are lying in the ground on their sides vs flat.

Thank you duck and gold pick for sharing your knowledge. I again ventured out today, the novelty of digging up the unknown still hasn't worn off, junk or not... I was joined on the beach by a 21 year old curious helper wearing a somewhat brief bikini who kept jumping for joy every time I gave her a go and she found something. For some reason I let her do most of the work for an hour and went home tired.. what a day and thankful we are blessed living in the lucky country.

I was lucky enough to go down to the same bit of beach on Sunday for a couple of hours, but due to there being about a thousand other people there, I couldn't detect a whole lot without having to keep dodging people.

I got about $10 in coin, but still no jewellery, bugger it! But it was great fun, and generated a heap of interest, especially kids, they just love it, and all want to have a turn, which I usually give into (being a father of 4, I'm used to doing that). And a few hotties in bikinis too! ;)

I'm quite sure that if I have been able to stay after everyone had cleared off, I would've got something of value. I did have one young lady run up to me and ask if the detector was waterproof, because she and whoever she was with just lost a top of the range GoPro in the water! I wish I could've helped them :rolleyes:

Good times.

Cheers, Paul.

Latest posts