Australia Post

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madtuna said:
Sent a Swarovski rifle scope way for a service a while ago..registered post with signature required.
Well it seems to have disapeared into the ether.

After much too-ing and fro-ing and an investigation by Aust post, they have finally agreed that if I can produce the original purchase reciept they will reimburse me $50 +postage.

Not bad for a $1700.00 scope. Insured post next time me thinks.

I hope santa drops a steamer down thier chimney

MT don't leave it at that .................... you have received the standard answer they give to fob you off. "You didn't insure it "
I spend about 2K a month on mail bags and have had the fight many times. What they forget to tell you is that as they have charged you for a service and taken your item and as you have paid them for this service they have a duty of care over that item. Push it and you will receive :Y:
In short they have failed to carry out the service they were paid to do and as a result are indeed accountable.

I sent, registered and insured a $2000 camera lens that I sent through AusPost but one problem that occurred was the nice lady at post office did not scan the item when I paid. I had the receipt and tracking number but because She did not scan the parcel there was no proof the parcel was handed over and when it did not arrive at its destination, the insurance claim was refused. Sometimes it makes no difference when humans are involved.

goldwright said:
I sent, registered and insured a $2000 camera lens that I sent through AusPost but one problem that occurred was the nice lady at post office did not scan the item when I paid. I had the receipt and tracking number but because She did not scan the parcel there was no proof the parcel was handed over and when it did not arrive at its destination, the insurance claim was refused. Sometimes it makes no difference when humans are involved.

Yes the exact reason I never leave the post office without receipt of lodgement and also why always lodge items over counter not drop into mail box. Talking mail bags here as they have a registered number automatically that comes with them :Y:

Typical Australia Post. What a bunch of utter Wank.... My god $50. Do not accept it ,fight them all the way.

Bogger said:
goldwright said:

Yes the exact reason I never leave the post office without receipt of lodgement and also why always lodge items over counter not drop into mail box. Talking mail bags here as they have a registered number automatically that comes with them :Y:

I had the receipt and the little tracking sticker and this was done over the counter. Always make sure it is scanned in front of me now.

madtuna said:
Sent a Swarovski rifle scope way for a service a while ago..registered post with signature required.

After much too-ing and fro-ing and an investigation by Aust post, they have finally agreed that if I can produce the original purchase reciept they will reimburse me $50 +postage.

Registered post is covered for a standard of $100
It used to be $200 up until the last CEO (Ahmed Fahour) cut the cover in half.
Signature on delivery used to be part of the registered post price, now they charge $2.95 extra for the signature on delivery. So now, if you don't pay for the extra for the signature and the item is lost, it's harder to make a claim. :eek:

That sucks mate. From what I hear Swaro are pretty good to deal with too. My mate dropped his and snapped the target turret off and they repaired it for FREE :eek:

Thanks folks, and Bogg's I'll follow that up and push for more, thanks for the advice.

diggin4gold said:
madtuna said:

Registered post is covered for a standard of $100
It used to be $200 up until the last CEO (Ahmed Fahour) cut the cover in half.
Signature on delivery used to be part of the registered post price, now they charge $2.95 extra for the signature on delivery. So now, if you don't pay for the extra for the signature and the item is lost, it's harder to make a claim. :eek:

Yes this is what's written in the fine print regards what's covered according to Aust Post the company ..................... what they don't tell you is what's written in Australian Consumer law and any company / business operating in Australia is governed by those laws. Example is how many companies tell you no refund only a credit. Australian consumer law states otherwise. Stick it to them and you will win

if you where Ahmed Fahour on several million a year would you give a stuff about an Australian citizen using Australia post to deliver, perhaps Uber post will emerge from the darkness and we can pay with bit coins, i am considering using my stash of monopoly money

In the case of my missing Whites Pin Pointer we are not accepting the measly compensation being offered, instead it is being pointed out to them that they entered into a contract and have not fulfilled their part of the deal. In my case I have proof of delivery, unfortunately it is to the wrong address and it was them that delivered it to that address. Plus we are also bringing the Ombudsman into the equation and hopefully the power of farcebook.

I used to play a fair bit of club & district cricket, managed 30 seasons straight from the age of 8 and even kept the tradition by playing in Canada of all places when I lived over there. My grandfather used to play for NSW back in the 30's before the war broke out and a little after, so I have always loved the game.

I got a bit over using club bats or 3-star cheapies and saved up and bought two top of the range original L.E 5 star Gunn & Moore bats when I was around 20 I guess. One was a GM Purist, can't quite remember the 2nd one could have been a GM Original but they were somewhere around $1000 each. I treated them like they were holy relics, made sure they were prepared professionally, oiled, rolled, knocked and finally sleeved. Then spent a good few sessions in the nets gently further knocking them in. They did me well as the years passed, I always made sure have them fully serviced every season.

I was playing a match one day and during the lunch break a couple of us headed up to the local pie shop to grab a pie and a coke, a customer in the shop seen that we were in our whites and asked how the match was going, wasn't just the average bloke being friendly though, was a fella named Stephen Rodger Waugh :p
We were pretty gobsmacked, we asked him if he could hold on for 5 mins to sign our bats, he was happy to oblige. My mate flew back to the ground and brought my 2 bats and his bat back up, kept it quiet with the others. The pie shop had a couple of sharpies we borrowed, I got the Purist signed on the back in gold, the same bat as Steve used, the other in silver. Still had every intention of using them.

I came back from Canada in 2010 and figured yeah why not get a few more seasons in. I had not taken them with me as I didn't expect to play, turns out there were plenty of guys from the subcontinent over there and it was pretty easy to get involved, and yeah they had qualified for the World Cup a few times.

So I had left the bats at my mum's and called her up and asked if she could have them posted/freighted down, I asked her to please make sure they are registered/extra cover if she was going with Australia Post.

Of course, they didn't show up.......and of course mum just sent them with just registered parcel post, not with the extra cover (I'm not sure what went on there)

I tried for months to track them down. Checked Gumtree and eBay close to every day. Apparently, they made it past Chullora then got lost at Penrith. I eventually spoke to a few people higher up the corporate ladder and exchanged a few emails after just getting the runaround. Was pretty much told that they are fully aware that goods are consistently stolen from inside the sorting facilities. That laptops and mobile phones were the main targets if they were not covered by extra insurance. I questioned why employees were not scrutinized more and if they even had background checks? I never did not get a satisfactory answer.

I got offered $100 compensation, crazy thing was I didn't claim it.....mum did! I still shake my head thinking about it!

My daughter had a parcel NOT DELIVERED, NO ATTEMPT at delivery (from Aus post) they said that my daughter would need to come to the post office to pick it up. She had paid for delivery and they said they would try and deliver it. It was only when she asked for an area supervisors email address that the parcel was delivered within a couple of hours. If she had wanted to go and get the items she would have, and she wouldn't have had to wait for 6 days Melbourne to Melbourne. Ken.

MT a good come back when they mention insurance is to say to them. "So what you are saying is that I have paid you for a service but you won't compensate me as I didn't pay extra to insure that you would perform what I had paid you to do ?" In essence what they are saying is pay us for a service but you better pay more so we do it correctly ?
It's the stupidity of this that Aust consumer law covers to protect the consumer. Imagine buying a television take it home and it doesn't work so you ring the supplier and the answer you get is ............ bad luck about that you didn't take out insurance :rolleyes: Purchasing a service or a product ..................... same same.
It's not just Australia Post ...................... had the same with TNT several times. Once when they bounced a long motor of a truck then just dropped at roadhouse in FNQ. Buyer drove 160K to pick up only to find it smashed beyond use. TNT have pages of rules under common carrier that you have to agree to when consigning freight to them but they still don't over rule Aust Consumer Law when it comes to the crunch.
Probably over kill here but just get sick of people eager to take your money but no so eager to back anything up when it goes pear shaped. But then I guess Aust Post has to cover Ahmed Fahours payout in July this year ? Being $10.8 million after he quit . :N:
Best I've had is when a 3.5 K TIG welder was delivered I watched in horror as the delivery driver dropped the carton on it's end on the ground. I commented I hope you haven't done what I think you have .................. sure enough had dropped it on the face of machine pushing about twenty switches and knobs back into the machine rendering it useless. When I enquired as to where the pallet was that was clearly marked on the manifest his reply was that it had been taken from the pallet so it would occupy less room in his truck. Keep in mind here that the freight amount paid was for the cube of the area for the pallet also. He then pleaded innocence as it wasn't really his fault because the carton should have been marked "This Way Up" ..................... I kindly reminded him that perhaps the sender didn't feel this was required considering it was strapped to a pallet :8 Enough said :Y:

Ah that's the thing with common carriers you're just playing the mugs game, you get what you pay for. Not that it's right but Aust post is good for Xmas cards and documents overnight and zero else....ignore that at your peril. I've found Toll Ipec the most reliable at not only getting it to where it needs to go but also paying out of it doesn't. Sure it costs you more upfront....which is the reason everyone got a story about Aust Post haha.

OldGT said:
Ah that's the thing with common carriers you're just playing the mugs game, you get what you pay for. Not that it's right but Aust post is good for Xmas cards and documents overnight and zero else....ignore that at your peril. I've found Toll Ipec the most reliable at not only getting it to where it needs to go but also paying out of it doesn't. Sure it costs you more upfront....which is the reason everyone got a story about Aust Post haha.

Yes agreed and funnily enough the worst I have found is Star Track Express ......................... owned by Aust Post .......................... funny about that :D :D :D

Star track = minus one 3.5K welder plus 2K Sony flat screen = Never again

It wasnt 1700 but aussie post lost 300 bucks of clothes from rebel the last month. Ordered it 18th of last month and still hadn't arrived this week. After speaking to rebel tho, they offered to reimburse her the coin in store credit thankfully.

Even by thier own rules, $50 is for ordinary articles and it's $100 for registered. The scope was registered but they are offering only $50?

OldGT said:

And the really galling thing about that is that TOll Ipec is now owned by the Japanese Post Office, they can offer a superior service whereas AusPost just doesn't care enough about it's customers.

Another option if it's available to your locality is Officeworks, they have a parcel service.

Latest posts