Introduction of new users to forum

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi my name's Tinman or mark,I got the name Tinman from collecting Bottles and cans around Campbelltown N.S.W. Ive just started to look into prospecting for a bit of fun/hobby and I got a detector and pan set for a Xmas present. In a week or so after I understand my detector I'm going for abit of a fossick/prospect of the little creak I live next to. I know I probly won't find anything out back of Campbelltown but it's still a fun and learning experience to have a go.Im hoping to find some spots I can get to in west Sydney/Campbelltown as I don't have transport so it's bus,train or the old walking sticks for me...and Im not well funded so cheaper the better lol.so if anyone has any ideas let me know and I'll try them out "if possible",even if it's a new place and I don't find anything I'm cool with that as I just want to have an adventure or two and abit of fun on the way as most people do in life😊. Well thanks for reading my post and thanks for letting me join your beautiful community of prospectors and adventures , I hope everyone has a great Christmas and Holliday's with your loved ones and friends. Don't forget to strike it rich while having fun because everyday's an adventure!!! peace & good fortune to you and your loved ones and have a cold one on me 😁

It's a cheap eBay set for $120 or so and I got a panning set too.I got a pic ,I don't think it has a brand but it says it can detect up 350mm deep.View attachment 12002
I only got this set as it comes with a pinpoint detector and afew shovels with a carry bag and head phones it's a great deal for a beginner like me.I can always upgrade to Minelab later down the track as they can be pricey so I'll have to save for one and hopefully by the time I save up I should have some experience using my cheap detector and panning set so then it should be easier to learn the next detector Im researching for as I go along on my little adventures 😀

You might not find gold with that detector but it definitely should find some coins. I started with an Aldi $100 detector and found load of old coins.

Grab a handful of coins of different values and find a spot outside. Play with your detector to see how it responds to different coins. Do it outside on the grass. If you do it inside your detector will sense the steel reinforcing in the concrete floor. Try seeing how it responds to bottle tops and cool drink can ring-pulls.

You might not find gold with that detector but it definitely should find some coins. I started with an Aldi $100 detector and found load of old coins.

Grab a handful of coins of different values and find a spot outside. Play with your detector to see how it responds to different coins. Do it outside on the grass. If you do it inside your detector will sense the steel reinforcing in the concrete floor. Try seeing how it responds to bottle tops and cool drink can ring-pulls.
Cool thanks for the tips I will definitely give it ago.It also helps that my brother's a coin collector he can value them for me 😜.

Bury your test coins deep so you can JUST get a distinct target sound then step back a step or two and see how hard it is to detect with your eyes closed. That is the sound you should be looking for, so you don't leave too much behind for others to get.

Latest posts