XP Deus - First outing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rocketaroo said:
Nice coins, one lead ball looks to be split shot, for fishing.

Could be, you tend to find quite a few of these amongst all the older finds, though it is debatable to whether there were fishable waters here back in the 1800's, more like marshlands.

Nice silvers GP(enjoying your photography)love the 1881 6d,.. what year was the 3d in The last photo ? :D

Thanks Silver, no 3d, the one in the last photo is the 1873 6p.

If you are referring to the small round object, it was just a small button. :)

Goldpick said:
Thanks Silver, no 3d, the one in the last photo is the 1873 6p.

If you are referring to the small round object, it was just a small button. :)
just a button,.. I was seeing a head on it in my mind then(ha) :D

No coins today, just a ton of lead and a few interesting odds and ends. A couple of nice buttons surfaced, and a few percussion caps indicate that the area has some decent age to it. Not sure about the purpose of the large numbered council tag, that was buried in no man's land in the middle of a paddock. Better luck next time I guess. :)

1446647634_img_20151105_010223.jpg

1446647656_img_20151105_010247.jpg

Some interesting pulls there goldpick! To me the number 6 tag came from cattle or sheep, either wore them or they labelled things like pens or where an ordered trade had taken place. I have one similar I got from s.a by a wheat silo

I'd love to find 3 buttons in one day, paddocks seem a great idea though I havnt kept the patience nor had the chance to detect a freshly plowed one yet. The small detailed strip below the buttons seems interesting whatever that's off too

I try to dig all button targets, as some come up in the gold range - still trying to locate that elusive gold coin. One of the buttons is labelled Tennison Haymarket, though am drawing a blank so far on its origins. The larger Best Ring Edge button is pretty common, this one appears to have had gold gilding on it at one stage. ;)

Goldpick said:
Headed north today for another run over a very old location that nearly always produces quality finds, though you really have to work your butt off to locate them.

Also took out the GoPro to document some of the finds, though yet to download anything, and quite frankly am not even sure if I filmed the top of my hat, or the actual finds. :D I was intending to use the chest mount, though had to use the head mount due to not having the correct connection with me. Will post later if all ok.

I was very fortunate that a grader had put in a deep cut next to the rebuilt access track, hence the area that used to be covered by road spoil was now completely exposed after not having a detector over it in many years, if ever.

First target was what appeared to be an extremely worn sixpence, and upon a clean up back at home, I was ecstatic to find it was a George III sixpence, with his head clearly visible on the obverse. These coins were issued between 1816-1820, this appears to be from 1816, can just barely make out the six under the bust.

The grader cut was so deep that the next three coins were either near surface, or in the case of the 1885 hp, was sitting on the surface - talk about dream detecting! Two more sixpences were found, both from 1881 and 1873. I left the soil attached to the obverse of the 1881 6p due to the excellent condition of the exposed face, and did a reveal at home to see what condition it was in. As you can see from the pics, it looks like it was dropped in near new condition.

Other target were the usual mix of lead, buckle, lead nail heads, small button, and a couple of musket balls?/projectile.

I think the council grader needs to do some more clearing in future. ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1446282373_img_20151031_185506.jpg

George III 6p

Well done GP, your still giving it what for, I found one of those 1873 six pence's over here, lovely coins.

Since you have had that machine your finds rate has gone through the roof, keep up the good work mate,

john

Poor people can't afford to loose coins, so unless it's been cherry picked previously I call poor people. :)

The area has been hit by many detectors in the past, and most of the silvers have already been pulled from the ground. The targets seen above were mostly mid to low conductors left over from the previous trip due to lack of time. ;)

Great first vid mate with some decent finds too :) what are you using to add subtitles? In hard turf like that I crumble the clay in my hands to fill the plug even more invisible and easier to compact to original state. Works a treat

The vid is great man! +subscribe

Cheers Atom, I used Cyberlink Power Director, as recommended by Ramjet. It was more user friendly than the others I tried, and pretty easy to add comments wherever you see fit. :)

Ramjet said:
Great stuff GP. Awesome to see more Aussie content. I'll be watching the Deus keenly. :D

Thanks Ramjet, I tried my best though just realised I left out the digging of the third sixpence. :8 Hopefully I will get more proficient on the editing side of things over time, and will give the chest harness a go next trip :) .

rocketaroo said:
Great vid, you might need to carry a small pick for that dirt.

The soil in the paddocks is actually not too bad, just the exposed soil & especially the clays that tend to set rock hard. Sort of wishing I had gone for the long handled Lesche shovel, though the short one is a bit more discrete, and less of a bother to carry. :)

Latest posts