Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:
Thanks RR, yeah Brian was more than helpful & explained how the different coils worked a little & explained the use of the frequency dial & also how the tones work & what to listen for with different item so that will help too.

No not .08, the user manual says .8 of a gram & up for the standard 12" coil, so even bigger than .12 gram, its not real good on small stuff, but I haven't tested that so only going by the owners guide.

The 7.5 x 12 Razorback folded mono (there's also a non folded mono of the same size) is much better on the small gold than the standard 12" spider coil, its as good as the NF Sadie Brian was saying, but it doesn't punch quite as deep as the normal 7.5 x 12 Razorback mono, or 12" spider but thats all good. Now just have to save a few dollars, although I thought the coil would be more expensive than it is so thats a bonus.

My one has the DF coil and I just tested it with 0.17 gram piece and the best it can see is 0.12grams, So when you get those MJ Coils they are really going to make a difference,

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,,, John

Yeah it should be a good coil, will be great if it can find bits as small as you're one does.
The 7.5x12 RB folded mono is pretty popular from what Brian said, he's sold near 20 within the last week so needs to order more in, they're flying out the door. I still have a little time before we get one so will be out as much as possible with the standard coil until then, might even get lucky & find a little nugget or two, would be nice but no big deal if we don't, just getting out with the detector is great anyway. Got some better weather coming up so have charged the battery & will head out tomorrow for some more practice & to test some settings on the detector.
Thanks for your help RR.

Have to agree about the customer service from GSA, Dean & Peter are great people to deal with & very helpful I found.
When I went there to get the SPP a couple weeks back, Dean was even making the detector tone noises to help explain to me what to listen out for.

ozziii said:
Ridge Runner said:
ozziii said:
Thanks RR, yeah Brian was more than helpful & explained how the different coils worked a little & explained the use of the frequency dial & also how the tones work & what to listen for with different item so that will help too.

No not .08, the user manual says .8 of a gram & up for the standard 12" coil, so even bigger than .12 gram, its not real good on small stuff, but I haven't tested that so only going by the owners guide.

The 7.5 x 12 Razorback folded mono (there's also a non folded mono of the same size) is much better on the small gold than the standard 12" spider coil, its as good as the NF Sadie Brian was saying, but it doesn't punch quite as deep as the normal 7.5 x 12 Razorback mono, or 12" spider but thats all good. Now just have to save a few dollars, although I thought the coil would be more expensive than it is so thats a bonus.

My one has the DF coil and I just tested it with 0.17 gram piece and the best it can see is 0.12grams, So when you get those MJ Coils they are really going to make a difference,

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,,, John

Yeah it should be a good coil, will be great if it can find bits as small as you're one does.
The 7.5x12 RB folded mono is pretty popular from what Brian said, he's sold near 20 within the last week so needs to order more in, they're flying out the door. I still have a little time before we get one so will be out as much as possible with the standard coil until then, might even get lucky & find a little nugget or two, would be nice but no big deal if we don't, just getting out with the detector is great anyway. Got some better weather coming up so have charged the battery & will head out tomorrow for some more practice & to test some settings on the detector.
Thanks for your help RR.

There's A Golden Doorstop out there with You Name On It, So Fingers Crossed, Oh yeah and Take your Camera, We Like Picture And you Need some Photo's of your First Nuggets Too.

Good Luck,, HH

John

Haha, I hope so John, one day something will show up, plenty of time though.
I always have my phone charged & keep it on me so will get pics for sure when it does happen. I'd be pretty excited so hopefully I can hold it still, brother would be the same I think. Would be great if we were both out detecting together when we get our first nugget but he works full time so that might not happen.

Yes it makes a big difference when you get great service.
I'm lucky I guess, only just over an hours drive away, but on that drive I get to go through alot of the great gold areas, like Clunes & Maryborough, great looking area's & a good excuse to go to Dunolly.

Ridge Runner said:
Geez Pete you are really getting some kit together now, Aye

john
Yeah thanks John, got all my detecting scenarios covered with this range of coils for when I get the time for a weekend away, eventually!!

ProspectorPete said:
Ridge Runner said:
Geez Pete you are really getting some kit together now, Aye

john
Yeah thanks John, got all my detecting scenarios covered with this range of coils for when I get the time for a weekend away, eventually!!

Good for you Mate,, maybe a few RDO's are in Order,

Be Lucky,, john

Hi Ozziii,

Any new comments on your SPP? I'm looking to purchase a second hand one as soon as I can test one out for weight.

Have you had a chance to get out with it?

Thanks!

Weight wise its pretty good, that was part of the reason we went for the SPP as I have a bad back & worse feet/ankles we needed something I could use reasonably easily, they only weigh 1.55kg with the standard 12" spider coil but we will be changing to a Razorback coil in the not to distant future so it may be a little heavier but will still be easily under 2kg.
Its my brothers detector but as I'm on a pension I will be using it more as he works full time. So far we have both found it very easy to use & haven't had any problems at all. Haven't found gold yet but have found tiny pieces of led, some .22 bullets, brass .22 cartridges, tiny pieces of fencing wire, chunks of steel & rusty tin. Some stuff has been reasonably deep too, one of the bullets was around 10" & a small 20cent sized very rusty piece of tin was 12" plus, but the Standard 12" coil is more designed for bigger gold targets so thats why we will get another coil that can find smaller, shallower gold.

I bought a SPP last year and i'm pretty happy with it overall, I've found it has a few quirks worth mentioning and some solutions that may help.

Step 1. when you arrive at your detecting spot and turn the machine on, crank up the gain flat out (with conductivity switch in ALL if fitted) then start to adjust the frequency knob, listen for even the smallest emi noises and try to tune them out until there is no noise at all if possible (I've found this make's a big difference to the reaction time of the spp noise reduction circuit and a very important step).

Step 2. Back the gain off to the preset mark and take the time to ground balance properly, now you can start detecting SLOWLY and try raising the gain a little at a time but if the machine starts to false back the gain down until it's steady again (it's still very sensitive even at low gain settings).

Step 3. The noise reduction circuit on the spp and sl causes me to sweep even slower than i would with other pi detectors, it's not for fear of me not hearing a target but more of the noise reduction hiding a tiny signal in very hot ground. Once you've found a target (even a tiny one) it jumps out at you more like a zap zap type detector.

I have tried a few different coil types on my spp and have found that the miner john folded 8 mono coils are very suited to general prospecting with a super sensitive area along the front third of the coil that helps with very small targets (11 x 7 is my favorite). The factory Aussie mono coil that is supplied is (in my opinion) under rated and performs pretty good for a 12inch mono coil, The fact that the spp is locked at such a fast pulse delay make's using a larger coil not very practical.

This is my opinion only and others may disagree but i hope a few of you may find it help full.

Dazza :)

Thanks for your tips Dazza, always good to hear different opinions from different people.
I'll try your methods & see how I go, although I don't have the conductivity switch fitted but I think the SPP is in the "ALL" mode as standard anyway so it should be all good.

We are going to get a Razorback 7.5x11 folded mono. I rang Brian after some other forum members gave me some info & was glad I did, they sound like the perfect coil for the SPP.
Tonight, I was offered the use of a 14x7 Nugget Finder Advantage for a week, so will be good to try it out, hopefully its not to big & will work well but if not then the 12" Spider will do until we get the RB in a month or so.

Went to fit the NF tonight but found the Whites plastic nut is to thick & doesn't fit through the mounting holes on the coil so going to see what I can find in the morning, also found that the SPP's shaft is to narrow where it mounts to the coil, so will have to find some rubber or plastic washers or spacers, hopefully I can get that done early & get out bush as we are going to get more rain on Friday & through the weekend so I might only get a few days use with the 14x7.
Just wanted to try a different coil & a tour operator offered me this one for a week so I jumped at the chance to try it.

Ive got the 12 inch spider, sadie and 14 x 7
never used the spider yet
sadie works well as does the 14 x 7
havent had any real deep targets yet though
14 x 7 goes a bit deeper.
next buy will be a 14 round spoked mono nf (on the tdi)

The sadie is one I wouldn't mind getting myself but that will have to wait, although when speaking to Brian about the RB 7.5x11 folded mono, he was saying its just as good as the sadie on the small stuff so if thats the case then I won't need the sadie.
Maybe just something that can go deeper than the RB folded would be good as the folded doesn't go quite as deep as a normal mono of the same size. The 9x14 Longreach might be a better option for our second coil.

Hey Picker, have you looked at the 14" round TDI mono from Minor Johns, might be a better option than the NF 14", its not spoked though.

ozziii said:
The sadie is one I wouldn't mind getting myself but that will have to wait, although when speaking to Brian about the RB 7.5x11 folded mono, he was saying its just as good as the sadie on the small stuff so if thats the case then I won't need the sadie.
Maybe just something that can go deeper than the RB folded would be good as the folded doesn't go quite as deep as a normal mono of the same size. The 9x14 Longreach might be a better option for our second coil.

Hey Picker, have you looked at the 14" round TDI mono from Minor Johns, might be a better option than the NF 14", its not spoked though.

If you Check On The American Web Site, they do a Spoked Version and A Solid Version so you might need to check with the Two Companies that Deal with Them In OZ,, Ok.

The Solid One Is Better in the Bush Because it does not get caught up on Rocks and Twigs ETC, ok

Hope That Helps, John

http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/apps/webstore/

Yeah after using the standard 12" on the SPP in the bush I don't think I will get another open coil, its a pita, just about everything gets stuck in it or you have to keep lifting it over things. Haven't used a solid coil but they would have to be much easier.

ozziii said:
Yeah after using the standard 12" on the SPP in the bush I don't think I will get another open coil, its a pita, just about everything gets stuck in it or you have to keep lifting it over things. Haven't used a solid coil but they would have to be much easier.

The Solid ones are great for Stubble Fields coz they just Knock it out of the way, and it works even better with the round coils than the Elliptical Coils,

John

Thanks John, I'll have to remember that, good to know what type of coil works best in different area's.
The first coil we get is going to be the elliptical because they are meant to be good for bushy or overgrown area's but a similar type & size round coil might be worth getting as well for the more open or stubble filled area's if we find some to detect in.
Its these little bits of info that make it much easier for a newbie so thankyou very much.

Latest posts