Waterproof cover for Whites TDI SL

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have bought a cover for my Whites TDI SL and described thus:
"Whites TDI SL control box cover
PLEASE STATE PREFERRED COLOUR/FABRIC CHOICE WHEN ORDERING
Helps protect your detector from damage/rain/mud etc
Available in
Black Neoprene
Camo Neoprene"
If I had looked at the pictures (I think there are about 11) more carefully, I would not have wasted my money. The cover is as in pictures, but is certainly not dust proof or waterproof with all the gaps.
Oh well, it wasn't a lot of money. I did write to the seller saying the item had failings and suggested improvements, but no response.
Anyway, I saw another cover somewhere last night online and saved the images.
Am I allowed to post the images here to ask two questions: 1. Do you think it will do the job of waterproofness? 2. If it is good, where can I buy it?
Or is there another available or plans available from which to make one?
Regards,
Rog

Last edited:
Anyway, I saw another cover somewhere last night online and saved the images.
Am I allowed to post the images here to ask two questions
Until a new member has 10 legit forum posts, PA's anti-spam software automatically blocks image posting. It also halts posts containing links until a mod reviews and approves the post as not being spam. Sorry, but it's very necessary with the amount of potential spammers that we see here daily.

The way you're going, you'll be past that hurdle in no time anyway, or if you become a Supporting Member, those restrictions no longer apply.

Given the way the box connects to the shaft and the position of the arm cuff, I think that waterproofing is impossible and even basic rainproofing is a real challenge.

I keep a large tough clear plastic bag folded up in my backpack that i usually use for samples but in event of unexpected rain I just put the whole back end of the detector in the bag, hold it around the shaft and head for home.

...Actually you could do just that and add a strap around the shaft and keep detecting.

Might need to pad the top of the cuff to stop it cutting thru the bag

Last edited:
grubstake, I'm glad I didn't try to add pictures and thank you for the info'.
XLOOX, I have somewhere a piece of clear plastic that came off a child's pushchair. The idea that everything needs covering makes a lot of sense. I will put my thinking cap on.
Regards,
Rog

Latest posts