Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey just wondering if the coil used has much to do with what it detects, like coins & jewelry say, would one coil find them more than another. If one coil picked up 5-10-20-50 cent pieces good but not 1-2 dollar coins would a different coil be able to pick them all up or is it more the detector that can find certain metals in coins but not others, same with jewelry so no matter what coil is used the detector may not detect all types of coins etc.

Thanks
Paul.

ozziii said:
Hey just wondering if the coil used has much to do with what it detects, like coins & jewelry say, would one coil find them more than another. If one coil picked up 5-10-20-50 cent pieces good but not 1-2 dollar coins would a different coil be able to pick them all up or is it more the detector that can find certain metals in coins but not others, same with jewelry so no matter what coil is used the detector may not detect all types of coins etc.

Thanks
Paul.

On fine gold chains etc, the 5x9 MJ/RB would be the best, But as far as coins are concerned the conductivity switch is what decides which coins you get, because with the Pro and the SL you can just make it not hear Targets if you want and the only time you will hear unwanted targets is if they are very Large or they are extremely close or touching the Coil otherwise they are History, and that is what sets the TDI's apart from other machines if you are in to Cherry Picking your Targets,

John

Ok thanks, just wasn't sure if some coils would only detect certain types of coins etc & if others would detect them all as I read somewhere about the silver colour coins being detected but not the gold colour coins but wasn't sure if it was because of coil or detector.

Received the second MJ coil for the SPP today (7x11), and fitted the longer lower stem from Goldsearch, as the stock one is way too short, even for a shorty like me. Might be a worthwhile investment if considering an SPP.

I was going to purchase a larger Longreach coil, though Brian mentioned I may as well get used to the 7x11" now that I have it.

Got some 2900mah batteries from Nenad for the spare pack, and also have the RNB pack on its way (thanks Nuggetbuster), so should be no worries lasting out the day. :)

1441979005_img_20150911_231542.jpg

Goldpick said:
Received the second MJ coil for the SPP today (7x11), and fitted the longer lower stem from Goldsearch, as the stock one is way too short, even for a shorty like me. Might be a worthwhile investment if considering an SPP.

I was going to purchase a larger Longreach coil, though Brian mentioned I may as well get used to the 7x11" now that I have it.

Got some 2900mah batteries from Nenad for the spare pack, and also have the RNB pack on its way (thanks Nuggetbuster), so should be no worries lasting out the day. :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1441979005_img_20150911_231542.jpg

Nice set up GP,

Is that new coil much more sensitive than the standard one,, That a nice coil size for most tasks, one of my most favourite coils was the Platypus (8x12), great all rounder, it's always good to fit spare shafts I always do, if you break one your covered and it speeds up changing times,

john

Yes, the 11x7 gets a couple of inches in the air on a rather flat 0.3 gram piece of gold (3/4 gain), whereas the stock 12" barely registers on the same piece. Didn't think to get a couple of more solid pieces of gold to test with, even my 2.5 gram piece is flat as a tack. :8

Goldpick said:
Yes, the 11x7 gets a couple of inches in the air on a rather flat 0.3 gram piece of gold (3/4 gain), whereas the stock 12" barely registers on the same piece. Didn't think to get a couple of more solid pieces of gold to test with, even my 2.5 gram piece is flat as a tack. :8

Yeah the DF 12" gets a couple of inches and it upsets the threshold between 3 and 4 inches on a 0.25g bit so I think your 11x7 is the better coil, DFs don't like Aussie Dirt,

I'm thinking about the 5x9, 11x7 and the 14" solid mono, I have the 7.5 DF already, good for tight places and on par with the 12, But it don't behave like I thought, I thought smaller coil smaller finds but that's not the case with the 7.5 DF I will have to check it again because I did not test it properly,

Nice Coils Congrats, I don't think you will be missing much now,

John

Goldpick said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1441979005_img_20150911_231542.jpg

Should be a great little set up. I need to get that longer shaft myself, the standard one is way to short for me.
The MJ 7x11 you got, is that a normal mono or folded, whats the size of the other one you have there, is that the 5x9.

Ridge Runner said:
Yeah the DF 12" gets a couple of inches and it upsets the threshold between 3 and 4 inches on a 0.25g bit so I think your 11x7 is the better coil, DFs don't like Aussie Dirt,

RR, I think you'll find that the SPP comes with a 12" Mono, not a Dual Field

ozziii said:
Goldpick said:

Should be a great little set up. I need to get that longer shaft myself, the standard one is way to short for me.
The MJ 7x11 you got, is that a normal mono or folded, whats the size of the other one you have there, is that the 5x9.

Both coils are folded monos, the smaller is the 5x9. The under chin headphones have volume control, so shouldn't do my head in listening to the threshold for long periods. :)

Nuggetbuster said:
Ridge Runner said:

RR, I think you'll find that the SPP comes with a 12" Mono, not a Dual Field

Yeah that's right, To tell ya the truth I don't see ant benefit in the Duel Field Coil, I have tried them both and if anything the OZ Mono is Quieter and a touch deeper, I can't really see the small target response difference between the 2.

Decided to give the SPP a test near some HV powerlines today, mainly so I can compare it to the new coil we are getting.
Paying tomorrow for a RB 7.5x12 Longreach folded mono so hopefully have it next week some time, took a bit longer to get it as we moved house & I had to fix my car but all is good now.

Anyway, the SPP ran well, specially in low conductivity mode, in high mode it was ok but still had a small amount of interference, but I think that could be fixed as my tuning skills aren't the best yet. In high I had to turn the gain down too around the 6 to 7 mark so I could ground balance, frequency was about the 10 o'clock area. Not sure what the ground is like where I was (Nerrina) but that may have had something to do with it as well, but on low conductivity mode I could have gain at full, ground balanced easy & ran nice & smooth. Didn't find anything good but thats ok, although I found an Echidna, heard a noise & thought it was a snake, so went to have a look, found the spiky bugger instead.
Went into the bush just to the left of that tower on the nest hill.

No gold, just the usual scrap, not sure what the hook looking thing is though.

ozziii said:
No gold, just the usual scrap, not sure what the hook looking thing is though.

If that's a rusted-solid pivot where I've put the red X, the object might be the fixed part of a locking latch, with a swivelling hook (on the left), that comes back over the catch (on the right), to encircle and retain a round bar on a gate or door:
1447232033_latch.jpg

I'll have to try & give it a clean up & check it out, someone else said it might be from a railway line, used to hold the track down onto the sleepers, I wouldn't have a clue myself,haha.

ozziii said:
I'll have to try & give it a clean up & check it out, someone else said it might be from a railway line, used to hold the track down onto the sleepers, I wouldn't have a clue myself,haha.

Could be - there's something familiar about it, like a memory just out of reach. :)

Soak it in a solution of Crude Molasses and water. One part molasses to three parts water. Check it every three or four days.

I had a closer look & it looks to be completely solid, no pivot point from what I can tell.
I might have to give your idea a go Sunrise, should be able to get some molasses easy enough, sister may even have some as she has, trains & shows Arabians.

Hi Ozzii,
Pretty sure its a rail anchor. Used to have to knock them out before re-railing, and sometimes re-sleepering tracks.
Cheers
Burden

Latest posts