Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that info Roscoe.

Is there any way to check if that part has been changed over, cause I'd like to buy a second hand one?

Have finally chosen the detector I want! So much to read on here.

There is nothing wrong with the Whites 12" mono coil that is usually delivered with the SPP it will easily detect a 1/2gram nugget, they did also at one time come with a Whites Super Pulse 150 round mono (6") also a good coil.

My choice Miner John Designs 5 x 9 Elliptical TDI Folded Mono Coil, it'll do the small subgram pickers and have good depth, for bigger deeper use the 12" mono there is no depth advantage using a 9x14" coil.

Folded mono coils are nearly as quiet and sensitive on hot ground as a DD coil, difference is their most sensitive part is the folded back part whereas a DD is sensitive almost the full length.

My favourite coil for beach and open hot ground is a 14" Round DD Razorback coil.

Karen, If you get the serial number of the machine and give dean at gold search Australia a call he maybe able to tell you if it has the new board or he maybe able to replace the board for you any way. They may have had a sticker or label on the machine to verify that its been changed over?

Yeah the standard 12" mono is a good coil but best for .8 gram & above I was told & has good depth, I will still use it but just after something that will also find slightly smaller pieces as well as still having decent depth, also want an elliptical to make it slightly easier to get into some of the tighter spaces between trees, bushes etc.
I'm just really after something that will be a good all round coil for now, doesn't have to find tiny pieces like the Sadie does but want it to find smaller than the standard 12" Spider, I want decent depth but I don't mind if it doesn't punch quite as deep as the 12' either.

I was told by GSA that I should stick with mono coils because the SPP is better suited to them & they will be better on this machine & as I don't know much about detectors & coils I will stick to them for now, I don't have the money to spend on testing coils so unless I can borrow one I'll just use mono coils.

I'm not sure what the ground is like around the Ballarat area but it hasn't caused any problems so far, the SPP has always ran very smoothly & has been easy to ground balance. Only think I did notice the other day was when I had it sitting on the ground while digging a hole, the humming seemed to change a little, sort of changed tone a bit, but there was a bit of rain & stormy weather coming & after talking to GSA, it was most likely some EMI effecting it so turning the frequency down a little should solve that.
I still have a bit of learning to do so will have to test a few thing out.

Good luck with it Karen, will be good to have some more SPP users on here.
I've found it a reasonably easy to use machine so far, still learning but atleast the SPP doesn't complicate things to much.

Dean at Gold Search Australia has an almost new 2nd hand unit for sale on Gumtree, give him a call. It is the up to date model.

You will get a 1 year warrenty, so no dramas down the track.

Good Luck

grubstake said:
Razorback/Miner John's Australian agent is Bairnsdale Prospecting & Detectors: http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/australiandealer.htm

I gave Brian a call earlier & left a message, he got back to me a couple hours later & we had a good chat & he explained a few things to me which helped alot.
So I have decided to go with Brian's recommendation & the coil he uses 90% of the time on his SPP, that coil is the 7.5x12" Razorback folded mono. It sounds like just the coil I'm after & will be a good all round coil to use.

Thanks for posting the link about these coils, Brian was great to talk to & even though I'm not a customer yet he was more than willing to help me & even explained a few things about using the SPP, even told me if I was out bush & had a problem to give him a call if I have phone service & he would try to help. Now thats great customer service.

ozziii said:
grubstake said:
Razorback/Miner John's Australian agent is Bairnsdale Prospecting & Detectors: http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/australiandealer.htm

I gave Brian a call earlier & left a message, he got back to me a couple hours later & we had a good chat & he explained a few things to me which helped alot.
So I have decided to go with Brian's recommendation & the coil he uses 90% of the time on his SPP, that coil is the 7.5x12" Razorback folded mono. It sounds like just the coil I'm after & will be a good all round coil to use.

Thanks for posting the link about these coils, Brian was great to talk to & even though I'm not a customer yet he was more than willing to help me & even explained a few things about using the SPP, even told me if I was out bush & had a problem to give him a call if I have phone service & he would try to help. Now thats great customer service.

Glad it all worked out for You, Sounds Like A Great Bloke to Deal With,

Good Luck,, John

ozziii said:
Yeah the standard 12" mono is a good coil but best for .8 gram & above I was told & has good depth, I will still use it but just after something that will also find slightly smaller pieces as well as still having decent depth, also want an elliptical to make it slightly easier to get into some of the tighter spaces between trees, bushes etc.
I'm just really after something that will be a good all round coil for now, doesn't have to find tiny pieces like the Sadie does but want it to find smaller than the standard 12" Spider, I want decent depth but I don't mind if it doesn't punch quite as deep as the 12' either.

I was told by GSA that I should stick with mono coils because the SPP is better suited to them & they will be better on this machine & as I don't know much about detectors & coils I will stick to them for now, I don't have the money to spend on testing coils so unless I can borrow one I'll just use mono coils.

I'm not sure what the ground is like around the Ballarat area but it hasn't caused any problems so far, the SPP has always ran very smoothly & has been easy to ground balance. Only think I did notice the other day was when I had it sitting on the ground while digging a hole, the humming seemed to change a little, sort of changed tone a bit, but there was a bit of rain & stormy weather coming & after talking to GSA, it was most likely some EMI effecting it so turning the frequency down a little should solve that.
I still have a bit of learning to do so will have to test a few thing out.

The Standard Coil will see Bits Of Around 0.08?? - 0.12grams would be more the size, which is very small, I have the Duel Field 12" and the 7.5" DF and they see bits about the same size, The only benefit with the 7.5 is it fits in smaller places and is lighter to swing, I fitted it with the Solid Cover to avoid getting hung up, Its Nice to have for tight spaces but that's about it really.

hope this helps,, john

Thanks Ozziii and Gold Diver.

I'll have a look for the one on Gumtree. Sounds interesting.

Would be good to have one before the Tuena trip in September so I can get a lot of advice about it off you guys.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks RR, yeah Brian was more than helpful & explained how the different coils worked a little & explained the use of the frequency dial & also how the tones work & what to listen for with different item so that will help too.

No not .08, the user manual says .8 of a gram & up for the standard 12" coil, so even bigger than .12 gram, its not real good on small stuff, but I haven't tested that so only going by the owners guide.

The 7.5 x 12 Razorback folded mono (there's also a non folded mono of the same size) is much better on the small gold than the standard 12" spider coil, its as good as the NF Sadie Brian was saying, but it doesn't punch quite as deep as the normal 7.5 x 12 Razorback mono, or 12" spider but thats all good. Now just have to save a few dollars, although I thought the coil would be more expensive than it is so thats a bonus.

ozziii said:
grubstake said:

Great choice of coil ozzii.
I've got the MJ 9x5 folded mono, MJ 11x7 mono, 14x9 RB Longreach (from Brian at Bairnsdale) and the Sierra Grande 20" mono and all run super smooth on the TDI SL, only the Sierra Grande 20" needs the timing higher, the rest run at pulse delay 10 no problems in hot ground.

ozziii said:
Thanks RR, yeah Brian was more than helpful & explained how the different coils worked a little & explained the use of the frequency dial & also how the tones work & what to listen for with different item so that will help too.

No not .08, the user manual says .8 of a gram & up for the standard 12" coil, so even bigger than .12 gram, its not real good on small stuff, but I haven't tested that so only going by the owners guide.

The 7.5 x 12 Razorback folded mono (there's also a non folded mono of the same size) is much better on the small gold than the standard 12" spider coil, its as good as the NF Sadie Brian was saying, but it doesn't punch quite as deep as the normal 7.5 x 12 Razorback mono, or 12" spider but thats all good. Now just have to save a few dollars, although I thought the coil would be more expensive than it is so thats a bonus.

My one has the DF coil and I just tested it with 0.17 gram piece and the best it can see is 0.12grams, So when you get those MJ Coils they are really going to make a difference,

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,,, John

Karen said:
Thanks for the link grubstake, that was good of you :)
Pity it's "cash only" and pick up from Dunolly. I'm in NSW.

I'd suggest giving them a call anyway if you're interested, Karen. Their customer service is first-rate, so maybe if you ask nicely... who knows. :)

ProspectorPete said:
ozziii said:
grubstake said:

I've got the MJ 9x5 folded mono, MJ 11x7 mono, 14x9 RB Longreach (from Brian at Bairnsdale) and the Sierra Grande 20" mono and all run super smooth on the TDI SL, only the Sierra Grande 20" needs the timing higher, the rest run at pulse delay 10 no problems in hot ground.

Geez Pete you are really getting some kit together now, Aye

john

ProspectorPete said:
ozziii said:
grubstake said:

Thanks Pete, lots of help from people on this forum helped me out.
The 14x9 RB is another one I wouldn't mind but not sure if it will be much different to the 7.5x12 folded mono.
The 7.5x12 RB folded mono should do the job nicely for us for a while though, will be great when we can get it, well worth saving a few dollars for.
You have a nice collection there.

Latest posts