Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a drive to Dunolly on Monday just gone, picked up our new Whites SPP, just the standard package with 12" mono.
Been reading instructions to try & learn how to use it but haven't been able to get out & about just yet as the weather has been a bit crappy of late, hopefully we'll get a few decent days soon so we can try it out.
I did try it in the backyard but I think there might be alot of crap around as I couldn't seem to ground balance properly & there are sheds etc all around so its just a matter of waiting now.
Can't wait to get it going & try our luck.
Any advice from seasoned users would be much appreciated as we have never used a detector before.
Thanks.
Paul. :D

hi mate, haven't got one but will soon.

when you get out and about can you let me know what you think about the spp.

good luck.

cheers......Andy

My expert experienced advice is:

Never detect your backyard straight after you buy a new detector, the temptation is just "WAY" too high to dig a good signal.
Its always crap, you know deep-down its crap because; it's your backyard and you haven't lost anything valuable, and last time you checked there was no payable gold under the kids swingset, but you dig it anyway and now your lawn wont recover until spring :D

Seriously, congrats on your purchase.
There are a few good YouTube videos out there to get you started.
https://youtu.be/0kLvzVNS-EY

GD

ozziii said:
Went for a drive to Dunolly on Monday just gone, picked up our new Whites SPP, just the standard package with 12" mono.
Been reading instructions to try & learn how to use it but haven't been able to get out & about just yet as the weather has been a bit crappy of late, hopefully we'll get a few decent days soon so we can try it out.
I did try it in the backyard but I think there might be alot of crap around as I couldn't seem to ground balance properly & there are sheds etc all around so its just a matter of waiting now.
Can't wait to get it going & try our luck.
Any advice from seasoned users would be much appreciated as we have never used a detector before.
Thanks.
Paul. :D

Congrats on your new machine, If you have a Beach near by take it for a run there because there is less junk, Or set it up in the yard and listen to the target response's with different items like nails and coins and such, along with different sized objects, it is use full and will help you out in the field,

hope this helps,, john

Ron's the man to talk to about that. He is all over that machine. He's helped me a lot understanding the SPP and the MXT Pro. As has RidgeRunner.

Thanks everyone.
Numpty, it may take me a little while to learn how to use it, mainly because the weather here in Ballarat has been pretty crappy & it looks like there's more to come, but after reading instruction & talking to Dean at Goldsearch Australia it seems like it shouldn't be to hard to get it going alright, once I have a play around with it I'll give my opinion on what its like for a couple of newbies (my brother & myself).

Gold Diver, you're right, & I was thinking the same when I tried it in the yard but I just had to go out & turn it on just to make sure it worked, once we get a decent day I'll head out of town & try it out. Pretty much just wanted to hear the sounds it made,haha.
We checked out a few youtube vids over the last couple days & they have been a good help, will have to have a look around for some more though.

Ridge Runner, Not to far from the beach in Ballarat but mainly got it to search for gold & maybe some old relics, might get down towards Geelong one day to give it a go but that probably won't be for a while yet, we want to make sure we know how to use it properly before going too far as it would be a wasted trip if we don't know what we're doing, the beach is on the cards though for a future trip. I reckon I will do as you said though & test it on some nails, alloy & lead though as that should help alot.
I think we'll probably dig all targets at first just to see what its picking up & how deep.

Sunrise Boy, I've had a good read through the forum posts & there is some great info there, for a newbie to the game its been a big help, there's alot of very clever people on this forum so lots of advice & tips to be found, makes it much easier to learn.
I'll keep an eye out for any posts from Ron & RR, always good to learn from those who know what they're doing, specially if they have the same machine.

I've read a bit about the conductivity switch mod & its something we may look into later on, just don't want to void the 2yr warranty, but once we have tried it out with standard coil then we want to try a different coil or two, starting with the 14" elite mono from Coiltek, that seems to be a pretty popular coil & from what I've read & been told it works well on the SPP.

Thanks for the helpful advice, much appreciated, hopefully it all sinks in,haha.

Good luck with the new machine ozziii ! I just bought a 2nd hand Tdi Pro Oz so I am in the same boat as you, learning a new machine and my first PI. Coil choice seems to be a hot topic with these , you might check out the Razorback coils, they seem to be a good choice. I am still sifting through all the info on this site before I buy anything yet. It's nice having all this experience on one forum, Thanks guys !

Thanks alwayslooking, & good luck with your new machine as well.
I watched a few good youtube vids today about the TDI Pro OZ, they were finding some tiny nuggets with it so it certainly has the sensitivity to find them. Lots of great coils around that seem to do very well so it will be good to try some out down the track a bit but for now we will use the standard coil then maybe in a couple months we will look into another one thats a bit better.
After reading about the new 14" elite I think it would be hard to go past, it seems capable of finding everything from the very small to the bigger nuggets & they seem to be selling very well too, must be something good about them.
I think one of the vids I was watching the other day they were using a razorback on a whites machine, with so many good coils available it will make purchasing a new coil a hard decision, most seem to do a pretty good job when set up properly.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a bit better weather so I'm going to head out & give the SPP a test out & see how I go getting it set up, hopefully the research I've been doing will make a big difference.

I've been looking into a few different coils & trying to find some info about them & how they go on the Whites P.I machines, mainly the SPP but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of info from people who have first hand experience, well not that I can find at the moment anyway. I have looked at a couple of forums & Y/T vids that have helped but being that we are just newbies & don't have alot of spare cash at the moment its a hard decision so we need to make the right choice.

So what I would like to know is, what coil would be a good all round coil for the SPP.?

I have read about a few coils that should do a good job, like the NF 6x8 Sadie, but its very small & takes along time to cover an area from what I understand it doesn't get much depth so if we did happen to find a good area then it may miss some pieces that are a little deeper.
Others coils I have heard that are good are the Coiltek 14" Elite Mono & the new NF 17x13 eliptical, but both are a little heavier than most other coils, specially the Elite, the 17x13 is lighter so might be alright.

I should mention I have a bad back & very bad Feet & ankles so having something a little lighter would probably be a good idea but if need be there is always a bungy cord to help support the detector. Part of the reason for going with the SPP was because it is reasonably light but I guess even with a heavy coil it still wouldn't be to heavy, the lighter it is though the longer I could keep detecting without to much pain or having to use more pain killers.

A couple of other coils that might be alright & are of an average size are the NF 12x7 & Minor Johns 7x11 folded Mono, both wouldn't be to bad where weight is concerned but not sure how good they are.

We're mainly looking for something that will still find reasonably small nuggets & speccies but also something that will get a little depth to help find anything that might be a little deeper down if that is possible.

Thanks for any help, its very much appreciated. :)

HI when I had a SPP i found that any coil 11 inch and below worked OK . Have a word to GSA he will be able to give you the correct advice as he has all coils and is a Whites dealer regards john :)

Thanks John, I've spoken to Dean up at Goldsearch when I went there to purchase the detector, Pete as well, both very helpful people & great to talk to, I think I spent over an hour in the shop chatting with them.
I will contact them again about coils but was also after opinions of non business people who have tried these coils or any others that might be a good match for the SPP, I just like to get opinions from more than just the people who sell them as I find thats the best way to make the correct decision for me.

Unless its modded to allow pulse delay adjustment I'd stick with John's advice above. Larger coils can require pulse delay adjustment to work on TDI/SPP detectors & if it were me I'd be trying before buying anything over 11-12" not made specifically for 10us pulse delay.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13074
The Miner John/Razorback coils are made for them so you would think that they would work best?

Thanks for that confirmation mbasko. I was tossing up which ones would be best on the SL and Old Charlie said that Razorbacks are the way to go.

Some Minelab DD coils don't work on SPP at all, without modifications. The 7.5" Aussie mono works well for me. As mbasko wrote, most of large coils not specifically made for SPP may have problems due to SPP's set timing. I'm currently testing Miners John 11x7 DD coil.
Karl

Thanks for the replies & links, there's some good info there as well.
I rang GSA today & spoke to Peter, he was saying he's had good results using the 12x7 NF & it works well on his SPP, the 14x7 is also another good coil & will work well & the Minor Johns are a good option so the 7x11 folded might be something worth getting later on as well.
At the moment though I'm leaning more towards the 12x7 NF/A coil, partly because of the weight isn't to much but also the price & from what I understand there may be a $30 discount on NF coils when paying cash so thats a good thing, it also seems to be a good compromise that picks up some smaller bits as well as some deeper stuff & thats what I'm after at the moment.
In the catalogue book that came with the SPP it says they are compatible with Nugget Finder & Coiltek coils so they may have made a few other changes when the updates were done to sort the hiccup thing out that the earlier versions had.
Thanks for the help.

Karen, They changed the circuit board as they were originally having an issue in our soil here in Australia. The issue was that some people (myself included) had a hiccup sound when ground balancing or operating the detector on some types of high mineral soils. All new SPP detectors sold in Australia have the new board fitted. All SPP owners were notified in writing from whites that if they had the issue to send it back to whites in Australia and have the new board fitted to solve the hiccup issue. The issue has been fixed and i haven't heard of anyone with the problem since. :)

ozziii said:
Thanks for the replies & links, there's some good info there as well.
I rang GSA today & spoke to Peter, he was saying he's had good results using the 12x7 NF & it works well on his SPP, the 14x7 is also another good coil & will work well & the Minor Johns are a good option so the 7x11 folded might be something worth getting later on as well.
At the moment though I'm leaning more towards the 12x7 NF/A coil, partly because of the weight isn't to much but also the price & from what I understand there may be a $30 discount on NF coils when paying cash so thats a good thing, it also seems to be a good compromise that picks up some smaller bits as well as some deeper stuff & thats what I'm after at the moment.
In the catalogue book that came with the SPP it says they are compatible with Nugget Finder & Coiltek coils so they may have made a few other changes when the updates were done to sort the hiccup thing out that the earlier versions had.
Thanks for the help.

With Whites Machines you will be Better of using Minerjohn/Razorback Coils Because they Are Made and Tuned to Suit The TDI Series Machines, although they Now Make Coils for ML machines, other Brands of Coils will work Ok, they will not work as well as the MJ/RB Coils, Because NF Coils are Tuned to Suit ml machines and YES there IS A Difference That Is Why MJ makes Different Coils For the TDI's and Different Ones For ML Machines, All Their TDI Coils will work on the SPP with the Fixed Pulse Delay of 10us, Their coils go up to 14" which depending on the size of the Target they will Go Very Deep, Ok

Try Contacting them Here, http://razorbackcoils.webs.com/coils.htm

Good Luck,, John

Thanks for that, I didn't realize there was a bigger range available here, thought GSA were the importers & they only have 3 on their website. Now that I have seen these others I will have to have a re-think.
The 7.5x12 & 9x14 RB Longreach coils are around the size I'm after so might have to look into availability, its a pity they don't have a website or even a Facebook page, well I looked but couldn't find one.
I'll have to give him a call.

Latest posts