Whites SPP information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziii said:
The sadie is one I wouldn't mind getting myself but that will have to wait, although when speaking to Brian about the RB 7.5x11 folded mono, he was saying its just as good as the sadie on the small stuff so if thats the case then I won't need the sadie.
Maybe just something that can go deeper than the RB folded would be good as the folded doesn't go quite as deep as a normal mono of the same size. The 9x14 Longreach might be a better option for our second coil.

Hey Picker, have you looked at the 14" round TDI mono from Minor Johns, might be a better option than the NF 14", its not spoked though.

Yeah that's worth a look, am interested to try a razorback/ miner john coil. Have heard and seen good things with it on youtube. Spoked just thinking about the weight reduction, but probably not a big difference to the solid aye!

Well I tried the 14x7 NF today, not sure what the problem was but it wasn't that great. We did find some small pieces of lead, rusty steel, rusty tin etc, but the coil made the SPP make tone changes when nothing was there & even when the coil was in the air, also if the cable was even slightly touched or moved it would make the detector let out a loud deep tone, like it was overloading or something. The connection into the detector was done up properly but it still made a heap of noise, maybe like the contacts weren't contacting properly, got me stuffed but I won't be worrying about getting anything that size for it. will stick to 12" & under.

Picker said:
ozziii said:
The sadie is one I wouldn't mind getting myself but that will have to wait, although when speaking to Brian about the RB 7.5x11 folded mono, he was saying its just as good as the sadie on the small stuff so if thats the case then I won't need the sadie.
Maybe just something that can go deeper than the RB folded would be good as the folded doesn't go quite as deep as a normal mono of the same size. The 9x14 Longreach might be a better option for our second coil.

Hey Picker, have you looked at the 14" round TDI mono from Minor Johns, might be a better option than the NF 14", its not spoked though.

Yeah that's worth a look, am interested to try a razorback/ miner john coil. Have heard and seen good things with it on youtube. Spoked just thinking about the weight reduction, but probably not a big difference to the solid aye!

Think I'll stick with the Minor Johns & Razorbacks, being specifically made for the Whites TDI & SPP it would probably be hard to get a better coil for them. Its a pity others don't make coils more suited to the Whites machines. Makes me wonder how some of the NF & Coiltek coils would go on them if they were better suited. Yes they (some) work alright but if made to suit like the MJ & RB coils are then that would be much better.

ozziii said:
Well I tried the 14x7 NF today, not sure what the problem was but it wasn't that great. We did find some small pieces of lead, rusty steel, rusty tin etc, but the coil made the SPP make tone changes when nothing was there & even when the coil was in the air, also if the cable was even slightly touched or moved it would make the detector let out a loud deep tone, like it was overloading or something. The connection into the detector was done up properly but it still made a heap of noise, maybe like the contacts weren't contacting properly, got me stuffed but I won't be worrying about getting anything that size for it. will stick to 12" & under.

Well it is either not Nulled Properly or they are not suited to the Machine which is why I said about MJ coils, The 14" MJ or their elliptical Coil are made to work on the SPP's and the others,

Shame about that, Nice Try though, At leased you know now, Aye,

John

What does "nulled" mean.
I was saying to my brother that maybe because it was a few years old & had alot of use that maybe the contact in the plug were a little worn but thats just a theory as I wouldn't have a clue. Would be interesting to try a new one & see how that went.

But yes, I'll be taking your advice & sticking with the MJ & RB coils, it was just good to try a NF, would still like to try some other NF coils like the 12x7 & Sadie just to see how they go then compare them to the MJ & RB coils, but won't be buying any apart from the ones made to suit the Whites detectors.
I could loan a 14" elite for half a day but its probably not much use.

Hi Ridge runner
They do not null mono coils.
You can get that problem if the shield wire is not insulated,but with a NF coil that would not be the case.
The only thing I think it could be that as coils get larger the capacitance of the coil increases,and this "COULD" be the problem

Regards Frank

thedigger said:
Hi Ridge runner
They do not null mono coils.
You can get that problem if the shield wire is not insulated,but with a NF coil that would not be the case.
The only thing I think it could be that as coils get larger the capacitance of the coil increases,and this "COULD" be the problem

Regards Frank

Thanks Frank, it's always good to hear more info,

I just had thunder going over head here so I decided to Turn on the TDI SL and see what it does with the 12" Duel Field coil and I am Amazed by the fact I can tune the frequency and then run it Flat out, So far No Other PI can do this, So even if a person prefers the more expensive models (And So They Should) this is a Good Reason to Own An SPP or an SL so when you are miles out in the Bush you don't have to waste days in the Camp moaning at the Wife and Kids,

Just a Thought Aye??

John

I tried the frequency dial the other day, the SPP was making some slight tone changes & I wasn't sure why & I remembered Brian telling me about doing the 360 turn holding the detector up & finding the direction of most EMI, I adjusted the dial & it seemed to get better so I think I might have got it right. Going to try an area near a mobile phone tower when we get a good day.

ozziii said:
I tried the frequency dial the other day, the SPP was making some slight tone changes & I wasn't sure why & I remembered Brian telling me about doing the 360 turn holding the detector up & finding the direction of most EMI, I adjusted the dial & it seemed to get better so I think I might have got it right. Going to try an area near a mobile phone tower when we get a good day.

Every time you turn it a bit give it about 10 seconds plus for it to settle down and keep doing that until you find the best setting because it will add depth to the machine, it is harder to hear on the SPP and the SL because of the Noise circuit but you will soon learn how to do it, I tried it today with a near by Thunder storm and it was running flat out indoors, So when others are singing to their owners the SPP and the SL will still work fine, ok.

John

Thanks John, I'll try that next time. I did turn around very slowly but didn't stop so doing it your way should get even better results.
Will be interesting to see how it goes near the phone tower, well thats if we get a dry day anyway, also found where some HV power lines are so going to give it a go near them as well when I get a chance.
Got given one of them map books today, with the 3 mud maps in it of the Nerrina (Little Bendigo) area just north of Ballarat, a bloke my brother works with found it at some market for $2 so that will come in handy.

ozziii said:
Thanks John, I'll try that next time. I did turn around very slowly but didn't stop so doing it your way should get even better results.
Will be interesting to see how it goes near the phone tower, well thats if we get a dry day anyway, also found where some HV power lines are so going to give it a go near them as well when I get a chance.
Got given one of them map books today, with the 3 mud maps in it of the Nerrina (Little Bendigo) area just north of Ballarat, a bloke my brother works with found it at some market for $2 so that will come in handy.

Before you adjust it turn the machine right up and point the coil horizontally at waist high with the coil at 90 degrees to the ground and use the coil to find the direction of the source of EMI and then Adjust it as I said that is the best way to find the best setting ok,

John

When you say turn it right up, I guess you mean the gain & leave the GB on the arrow & tone just loud enough to hear it reasonably good, then do the twist & adjust frequency.
Thanks.

ozziii said:
When you say turn it right up, I guess you mean the gain & leave the GB on the arrow & tone just loud enough to hear it reasonably good, then do the twist & adjust frequency.
Thanks.

Yes, the threshold tone just set high enough but not too high so it becomes to strong that it over rides the EMI, Only Just Audible, Then turn around 360* degrees Slowly until you find the spot where the EMI is the Loudest and pointing the coil in that direction is where you want to tune the frequency, you might try setting the gain at anywhere between 6 and MAX when you do this, say at about 7 or 8 and when you have done this turn the gain up as high as it will go while still behaving it's self, Ok.

John

Done this today, about 50 metres from the phone tower, put setting like you said, held detector up & turned. Started with frequency on the arrow & ended up trying it both ways but it was better when turned lower & I got it running pretty smoothly. A bit more practice with adjusting settings & I should be able to get it better. Once I had the frequency done I had to turn gain down to get it ground balanced but it was still close to 3/4 of the way up. Moved to a spot about 100m away & where a quartz reef had been dug out,
re-done the settings as was getting a bit if EMI again & also had to lower gain, must of been more mineralised ground I guess but got it going pretty smoothly again but still had a slight change in tone here & there, but overall it worked well.

ozziii said:
Done this today, about 50 metres from the phone tower, put setting like you said, held detector up & turned. Started with frequency on the arrow & ended up trying it both ways but it was better when turned lower & I got it running pretty smoothly. A bit more practice with adjusting settings & I should be able to get it better. Once I had the frequency done I had to turn gain down to get it ground balanced but it was still close to 3/4 of the way up. Moved to a spot about 100m away & where a quartz reef had been dug out,
re-done the settings as was getting a bit if EMI again & also had to lower gain, must of been more mineralised ground I guess but got it going pretty smoothly again but still had a slight change in tone here & there, but overall it worked well.

Well that's ok if you can run it at 3/4 of the way up, unlike most VLF machines the Gain knob is not as aggressive so you would loose very little depth and No other PI can work that close to a cell Tower, So well done for working it out, I am thinking that maybe you should go back and take the top layer off the top of those iffy signals, Don't just checkout the Wooo Signals, Check out even the slight rise in the Threshold because they could be Tiny Nuggets or bigger nugget down deeper, If the signal does not get stronger walk away, If it Does get louder Keep Digging Ok,

good luck,, John

Thanks John, your help has been great & very much appreciated so with a bit more practice I should be able to get it tuned better, & hopefully when we get the RB folded mono it will be a great little machine. The area I went to has a heap of shallow diggings & dug out quarts reefs & in one section it looks like there has been about 20 foot deep of dirt removed when surfacing, it was meant to be a rich area, there's also other shallower surfacing done & a fair few old shafts so I might be in with a chance one we get the new coil.
Didn't see to many detector holes either considering the size of the area, but as usual they were infilled, but maybe it hasn't seen much work since to phone tower went in, not sure how long its been there though.

Sounds like your on to something there ozziii. I've got my pro oz coming this week so I am reading these posts with a lot of interest. Sounds like a lot to get the old head around, but I will persevere like you. Thanks to everyone for posting such helpful information .
I to have ordered a rb folded mono from Brian so it will be great to read your feedback.
Cheers all
Mark

Hopefully I am Mark, would be great to find an area that hasn't been flogged,haha, specially once we get the RB.
I wouldn't mind the Pro Oz myself, sounds like a great machine, maybe I'll find enough yellow to enable me to get one.
I haven't ordered the RB folded mono yet, waiting for my brothers re-done tax return from last year which should be within the next 2 weeks so once that arrives then the coil won't be far away. Should be just in time for the better weather thats hopefully on its way now winter is nearly over.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your finds in the near future always nice to see some finds from the whites forum family. The R/B should increase the mattress bolge ozziii

Haha, yeah I'm looking forward to seeing our finds as well Hoggy, as long as they are the right colour, not the usual rusty tones.
Although I don't mind if I find some interesting relics or old coins either but the yellow is the main target.
Really looking forward to getting this RB coil, sounds like the perfect match for the SPP.

Latest posts