Which gold detector to buy?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As stated no detector can do everything so all depends on what you will use it for the most and area they are all good detectors in your list but all for diffrent reasons
Roy

Have got a X-terra 705 but looking for a second detector. Mainly looking for gold nuggets but also maybe old coins around abandoned mines, homesteads, camp sites . Bingara, Walcha, Nundle areas in NSW

If you're just after a gold machine
Gold Monster 1000 currently selling for just under $1000 ($950-990) if you shop around .... not as good on hot ground as a PI tho'
so, for a Pulse Induction, there are a couple of SD2000/SD2100 (older Minelab machines) on Gumtree for around $900-$1200 at the moment

I haven't had personal use with your 4 choices of detectors listed but the Gold Monster 1000 and Gold Bug 2 are high frequency machines best suited to fine gold.

To throw another in the mix would be a Minelab Equinox 800 and save for the 6 inch coil, you will have a great all rounder very capable of finding gold, coins and beach detector if you end up visiting the coast on holidays. In my limited experience with detectors the Equinox 800 seems (to me) to be best value for the price, I only bought the 600 because I already have 2 dedicated gold detectors and wanted the best bang for buck coin/relic/beach detector.

Maybe try and meet up with some members that are local and try their detectors to see which you prefer the most would be my suggestion?

Best gold detector for around $1000 is really between these two imho.

Gold Monster - silent, automatic ground balance & sensitivity, 2 coils

Gold Kruzer - fully adjustable, waterproof, target ID, wireless headphones, discriminate modes, 2 coils

In terms of sensitivity to tiny gold, the only other machine from your list that is in the same league as these two is the Gold Bug 2 but you're paying more money for manual ground balance, no rechargeable battery, not waterproof and no DD coil options.

The Gold Kruzer is currently top of the pile in terms of features and inclusions for a high freq Gold machine.

If you don't need waterproof then the Makro Gold Racer at the new price of $899 is a bargain.

Tv Mick said:
Hey Guys,

Now this post will get a stack of different responses :8

Best gold detector for around $1000 give or take ?

MINELAB GOLD MONSTER 1000

or

Garrett AT Gold

or

X-TERRA 705

or

Fisher Gold Bug 2 or Gold Bug Pro

Whats your pick and why ?

Cheers Mick

The Goldbug II is the only proven Gold machine on your list with a 23 history at finding Gold, you can add rechargeable batteries if needed for a couple of bucks each, The GM 1000 is starting to do Ok but it is too soon to tell as there are no facts or figures on any of the other brands mentioned.

Hi, I'm very new to this but want to get a decent gold detector. Have been looking at the ( Minelab Gold Monster 1000) at around $1k. Or are the online ads "reduced" to $250 any good. :pickshovel:

Hi and welcome, what and where are you searching.
What is your budget?
If you could afford an SDC I would get one of these.. You can get really good second hand ones that will save you money. there is one for sale on this forum that will save you some money and provide a really good machine that will give you a better chance of finding something.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32796

Cheers
HH

Gazdeluxe said:
Hi, I'm very new to this but want to get a decent gold detector. Have been looking at the ( Minelab Gold Monster 1000) at around $1k. Or are the online ads "reduced" to $250 any good. :pickshovel:

For your stated budget of around $1,000, the Minelab Gold Monster is a good choice for a first detector - many PA members have been successful with them. Avoid like the plague the cheapie Chinese rubbish on ebay/Gumtree, not only will you not find gold nuggets with any of those, but you will struggle to resell it when frustration sets in.

The Minelab SDC2300 would be a great choice, but you will be unlikely to pick one up second-hand for less than $3,500, so unless your budget is VERY flexible, that machine may not be accessible to you at present.

Thank you all, for the invaluable information. Sounds like the monster 1000, now for the big question, where can i find gold in SE Qld.

I reckon the GM1000 would drive you nuts. Every tiny piece of wire or shredded foil will set it off and it would probably be hopeless in the salt water and wet sand. It's a gold-specific detector, not a multi-purpose coin and treasure machine. If that's what you want, along with some gold capability, you'd be better off with the Equinox 800.

Thanks guys, I do primarily want to use it for gold, but live close to the beach and thought I may be able to utilize the location, but will take your advice.
Thank you.

The 2 small coils for the GM are its biggest weak point on the beach, lack of depth, but then its intended purpose is to be sensitive to very small gold, not beach hunting, plus, it can be annoying how very very sensitive it is to aluminium ... I'm sure it can sniff a ring pull 5m away :playful:
A bit larger Mono & DD would be nice .... 8 to 9" Mono maybe, & a 12x9" or 12" round DD .... wishful thinking

Ok, it seems like I'm on a bit of a learning curve here and am really appreciative of the valuable advice being offered. I have now been studying both the SDC2300 and the QED PL2 , and am leaning towards the QED.
However the EQUINOX 800 is also looking good as it appears to probably be more suited to all round "gold, relics, coins& beach".
Any thoughts?

Latest posts