Advice Needed.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m interested in getting into anything related to finding gold / opal / crystals. Currently living on the Gold Coast. I have No equipment. Can you please point me in the right direction of where / how I can get started?

End goal:
Be living in a new town, and mining all day for my living.

But that’s a bit of a jump for someone with 0 experience,

Looking forward to connecting with you, and I appreciate any advice.

Regards, Corey.

Hi Corey.
Gold, gem prospecting is very much a hands on thing. That’s the meaning of the word prospecting.
I am sure you may be able to find a book on where to find gold and gemstones near where you live. Perhaps check your local library.
I’d then suggest you buy a gold pan, learn how to use it, go to an area and do some panning in a creek there.*
If you are doing your panning correctly you will end up a small amount of clean grains or what are called “heavies” in your pan. These may be gold, lead shot, or other heavy minerals or even gemstones. Even if at first you don’t see what you are looking for don’t throw it out before checking with something like a jewellers loupe.
If you are not then self encouraged to do more reading, research, ask people questions then prospecting is not for you. If you are encouraged to do that you are on your way.
The first thing is to take a practical step somewhere, we all did that.
Best of luck.
*PS I am not sure of the Queensland miners right situation and you should make sure you have a miners right or other permit for that. Perhaps others could clear that up.

If you are serious about making a living from mining then it is not something that you can just go learn all by yourself and you will need big $$ for equipment. These days noone makes a living by truly hand mining. Suggest getting a job, any job, in a gold/opal mining town then chatting down the pub, meet some of the smaller miners and get a job with them and learn. Not hard these days getting a job.

If you mean detecting then well 90% of people out there are doing it for fun and not finding enough to cover expenses even for their trip. Less than 1% are repeatedly finding enough to make a proper living but it has taken them a number of years to get proficient enough to actually make a profit every year. You really need someone to teach you and again the best way is to get out there and meet them down the pub or in the camp/caravan site. You probably wont get to tag along with a Pro to his secret spots but you will learn enough from experienced amateurs to get started .

Gc, In My backyard lol.... Head up to Thunderbird Park on Mt Tambourine .... Its a pay to dig site but worth it... You will find Thunder-eggs and maybe a bit of Amethyst...

LW...

Hi guys. I’m interested in getting into anything related to finding gold / opal / crystals. Currently living on the Gold Coast. I have No equipment. Can you please point me in the right direction of where / how I can get started?

End goal:
Be living in a new town, and mining all day for my living.

But that’s a bit of a jump for someone with 0 experience,

Looking forward to connecting with you, and I appreciate any advice.

Regards, Corey.

Corey,

A lot will depend on your previous experience and skills. Gold mining is not easy even if the online videos and TV shows make it look that way. Just look at the average small miners vehicles and living conditions. Most drive early model vehicles that are often in poor condition and they live in homes surrounded by lots of broken down or partly built equipment. It's a great hobby but a difficult lifestyle.

We live and work with gold but we don't rely on it to make a living even though in our case we could because we're in a good location with good gold leases and good equipment but I just have to keep reminding myself "this is a hobby to enjoy during my retirement". I could easily build better mining equipment but then I'd have to find more gold to cover the cost and you end up like a dog chasing it's tail.

I think gemstones are even more risky because for one thing they are not as easy to exchange for money if you do find them. I suggest you buy a good late model Minelab gold detector and spend a significant amount of time in the harsh environment where gold is found. Many can't hack it for long and return to their comfortable regular lifestyle.

You are welcome to visit our gold mining region anytime to get the feel of the place and see some mining in action.

Phil

There's good money in Gemstones... .. I know a few with leases in the Rubyvale area... They are doing very well in their mines... Getting top dollar overseas for their goods... Just as hot and dusty also...:Do_O

LW...

Corey,

A lot will depend on your previous experience and skills. Gold mining is not easy even if the online videos and TV shows make it look that way. Just look at the average small miners vehicles and living conditions. Most drive early model vehicles that are often in poor condition and they live in homes surrounded by lots of broken down or partly built equipment. It's a great hobby but a difficult lifestyle.

We live and work with gold but we don't rely on it to make a living even though in our case we could because we're in a good location with good gold leases and good equipment but I just have to keep reminding myself "this is a hobby to enjoy during my retirement". I could easily build better mining equipment but then I'd have to find more gold to cover the cost and you end up like a dog chasing it's tail.

I think gemstones are even more risky because for one thing they are not as easy to exchange for money if you do find them. I suggest you buy a good late model Minelab gold detector and spend a significant amount of time in the harsh environment where gold is found. Many can't hack it for long and return to their comfortable regular lifestyle.

You are welcome to visit our gold mining region anytime to get the feel of the place and see some mining in action.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Where about is your region? My son and I would love to see a mine in action.

Latest posts